1x11 or not

JeremyCPT

Thanks, yeah the price is pretty damn good. OK so just to be clear (and this agrees with what I've read elsewhere so far) for the shimano 11x42 (or 11x46) I would not need a new hub driver? From what I've read I would only need the spacer that comes with the hope hubs.

Yes correct....and you may not even need the freehub spacer because Hope made these freehubs in two lengths.

1x11 is more sensitive to chainline than your older 3x system but if adjustments are needed then a combination of freehub spacer, chainring spacers and BB spacers will give more than enough leeway to get it right.

Your 68mm BB shell should normally have at least 1 BB spacer under the drive side so you can adjust 2.5mm either way by transferring spacers to/from the non-drive end.

On the 11spd Shimano cassette the big cog is on a dished carrier and sits slightly inboard compared to the older 9 and 10 spd systems. The cassette stack's internal length on the freehub is also slightly shorter than 10spd. For these reasons you may need to use the freehub spacer. Hope says their Pro2 hubs are compatible with both 10 and 11spd Shimano MTB cassettes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That CWC price is pretty darn good even in CRC price terms. i ordered the same upgrade kit with the 11-46 from CRC and after customs etc it was only R350 rondts cheaper.

Hi Ferro,

Would you mind sharing the price break down including all the duties, vat, price, delivery etc broken up individually. 

Thanks. 

Thanks, yeah the price is pretty damn good. OK so just to be clear (and this agrees with what I've read elsewhere so far) for the shimano 11x42 (or 11x46) I would not need a new hub driver? From what I've read I would only need the spacer that comes with the hope hubs. 

Just done this upgrade on my son's XCO steed. Fitted right onto his i9 Torch freebody. For the Hope Pro 4 freebody you will need a spacer as the new Shimano 11 speed cassette has a narrower carrier, and you are left with a very slight play if you do not use the spacer.

I used an Absolute Black 34T Oval chainring up front and the 11-46T Cassette at the back. I had to pay an additional R600 for the 11-46T Cassette in place of the 11-42T Cassette that the upgrade comes with.

Just done this upgrade on my son's XCO steed. Fitted right onto his i9 Torch freebody. For the Hope Pro 4 freebody you will need a spacer as the new Shimano 11 speed cassette has a narrower carrier, and you are left with a very slight play if you do not use the spacer.

I used an Absolute Black 34T Oval chainring up front and the 11-46T Cassette at the back. I had to pay an additional R600 for the 11-46T Cassette in place of the 11-42T Cassette that the upgrade comes with.

I'd read as much about the spacer on the hope hub. Thanks for confirming though.

I've gone with 11-42. I'm not into racing and I've got the same setup on a heavier full sus bike that i do loads of climbing with. The only time I've wished for another gear was on that really steep part of botmaskop (you'll know it if you've done die burger or are a local) but even then it wasn't terrible.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

I rode Tankwa trek 2 weekends ago with 1 x 11 .I came directly from 2 x 11 and missed the 2 x setup with every pedal stroke .I missed my low especially with all those steep climbs and my high gears when i wanted to stand and climb .I don,t like putting all that power into an  eleven teeth  gear at the back  My 2 x 11 shimano with raceface crank worked flawlessly before and i only changed when my LBS could not get the correct crank sprockets in time .My other bikes have 1 x 10 and 2 x 10 still .Doing multi-day events with 1 x 11 or even 12 x makes your muscles work harder and i cramped like never before .I also missed the ease of dropping from big to smaller front gears just before a steep section 

Hi Ferro,

Would you mind sharing the price break down including all the duties, vat, price, delivery etc broken up individually.

Thanks.

As attached. Delivery was free. VAT/duties was 15% and R100 customs handling fee

post-72594-0-55181400-1487882306_thumb.png

I rode Tankwa trek 2 weekends ago with 1 x 11 .I came directly from 2 x 11 and missed the 2 x setup with every pedal stroke .I missed my low especially with all those steep climbs and my high gears when i wanted to stand and climb .I don,t like putting all that power into an  eleven teeth  gear at the back  My 2 x 11 shimano with raceface crank worked flawlessly before and i only changed when my LBS could not get the correct crank sprockets in time .My other bikes have 1 x 10 and 2 x 10 still .Doing multi-day events with 1 x 11 or even 12 x makes your muscles work harder and i cramped like never before .I also missed the ease of dropping from big to smaller front gears just before a steep section 

Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :ph34r:

I rode Tankwa trek 2 weekends ago with 1 x 11 .I came directly from 2 x 11 and missed the 2 x setup with every pedal stroke .I missed my low especially with all those steep climbs and my high gears when i wanted to stand and climb .I don,t like putting all that power into an eleven teeth gear at the back My 2 x 11 shimano with raceface crank worked flawlessly before and i only changed when my LBS could not get the correct crank sprockets in time .My other bikes have 1 x 10 and 2 x 10 still .Doing multi-day events with 1 x 11 or even 12 x makes your muscles work harder and i cramped like never before .I also missed the ease of dropping from big to smaller front gears just before a steep section

Hey Blitzer, why didn't the lbs just fit Shimano rings? You don't need race face rings for a rf crank as it should all be the standard bcd.

As for the "putting that much power through the 11sp" thing... Bollocks. If it's strong enough for Schurter, Kulhavy, Cancellara etc then it won't fail under you. .

Agreed with the ability to just change at the front when you're in terrain that needs a rapid shift down / up.

As for the tankwa... I'd want as much range as possible when riding that. 10-50 gives you that, as does the 9-44 from e13. Shimano cassette is almost but not quite. But a 2x 11-42 would be great.

What ring did you pair it with?

Edited by Myles Mayhew

As for the "putting that much power through the 11sp" thing... Bollocks. If it's strong enough for Schurter, Kulhavy, Cancellara etc then it won't fail under you. .

Granted but they have full time wrenches working on bike and it only needs to last the race !

What works for the pros does not always work for us mortals .

Edited by Milosh

Granted but they have full time wrenches working on bike and it only needs to last the race !

What works for the pros does not always work for us mortals .

Ja, but they don't change cassettes at every race. 

So, my son rode the Rhebokskloof circuit for tomorrow's race this afternoon with his new 34T:11-46T setup. He says it's perfect and he feels as if he is pedalling stronger. I think it is the oval chainring helping in that department.

Edited by Moridin

Saw on eBay that Sunrace makes a 9sp that goes from 11t-40t. Looks pretty impressive. I'm happy with the Sunrace 11t-42t 10sp I currently ride so maybe my next bike will be 1x9.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought the Shimano XT 1 x 11 upgrade kit from CWC, and am now looking for a decent chainring. I'm looking at either of these 2 options:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-slx-m7000-chainring-32t-1x11

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-xt-m8000-chainring-1x11

The M8000 has a much deeper tooth profile which I assume is primarily to prevent chain drops. Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks. 

Also, the M8000 has a much deeper tooth profile which I assume is primarily to prevent chain drops. Is it worth the extra money?

I haven't clicked on the links, but if you are buying a non Shimano chainring, just make sure it fits the M8000 crank as it's different from a lot of others, due to a different BCD. Kiwi stocks Rapide chainrings for the M8000 crank.