Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

1468363578828efb9f07ec2ebccfcc8e.jpg

Just got back from jareds memorial on the beach...took my wife past the spot to show her.

I will be there on sunday.

Spent some time on the bridge yesterday looking at all the marks on the road (M4)

Edited by isetech

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay wider of the rider

The Star Late Edition · 10 Feb 2016 · ·

THERE is only one winner in a collision between a 1­ton car and driver, and an 85kg bicycle and rider. At the weekend, Richard da Silva, chairman of the Kings Park Cycling Club in Durban, and Jarred Dwyer were the losers in that simple equation.

They lost their lives, taken from them by a driver alleged to have been drunk, who ploughed into them from behind.

Yesterday, a cyclist was killed in Eikenhof, south of Joburg, after a car hit him. Three years ago, Burry Stander, perhaps the greatest cycling talent South Africa has seen, was killed by a taxi driver near Shelly Beach on the KZN South Coast.

More than all the other noise about whom the roads belong to, more than the arguments about who breaks the laws of the road the most, more than all the nonsense about the arrogance of one side and the anger of another, is the crux of the matter.

When the driver of a car hits a cyclist, the cyclist loses. There are no stories of cyclists killing the driver of a car by hitting them. Cars, trucks and buses get scratches. Cyclists get scratches and broken bones, and they die.

Where have we come since Stander was killed? A campaign to have a compulsory 1.5­metre overtaking space has gained much publicity.

Stay wider of the rider, they ask. Few do. Cycle lanes, such as those in Braamfontein and Auckland Park, are regarded as a hindrance and an inconvenience to motorists, and are ignored without fear of prosecution by the authorities.

It isn’t only the lycra weekend warriors, training for big races, who die.

It is the man and woman from Alex, riding to work on a bike as it is the cheapest and easiest form of transport.

A bicycle is freedom for the poor and the rich. It is a tool and a plaything. It is always the loser in a collision. Stay wider of the rider. It sounds simple. They are not riding to annoy car drivers.

They are just trying to be alive.

Kevin Minter Brown must be smarting right about now, swarmy grin wiped clean off his face. Car gone check, fat salary gone check, media reputation(most valuable asset in his biz) gone check.

With great power comes great responsibility, he's been in the game long enough to know where the line is, joking or making fun of people's tragic deaths (especially so shortly afterwards) is way out of order. Even the most dim witted hubber would know better than to post what he did.

I would imagine for all intents and purposes as of now he might as well have leprosy, he'll eventually get over it but on the positive side I'm sure he's learnt a valuable life lesson.

Kevin Minter Brown must be smarting right about now, swarmy grin wiped clean off his face. Car gone check, fat salary gone check, media reputation(most valuable asset in his biz) gone check.

With great power comes great responsibility, he's been in the game long enough to know where the line is, joking or making fun of people's tragic deaths (especially so shortly afterwards) is way out of order. Even the most dim witted hubber would know better than to post what he did.

I would imagine for all intents and purposes as of now he might as well have leprosy, he'll eventually get over it but on the positive side I'm sure he's learnt a valuable life lesson.

KMB's absence from the mainstream limelight is no great loss. Hopefully the high-flying bill will be beyond reproach and he leaves Umdloti as well. The complex braai (Name withheld) will be a much more amicable affair without his boisterous demeanor talking everyone down, crude interruption, usage of profanities when kids are around without even flinching an eyelid, to the point where parents leave festivities.General swinging of the whip like a spoiled brat at Complex AGM and other meetings. But then again, every complex has one of these, what am I saying here...? At least the Amarok is not being revved or used as a Disco anymore (obvious reasons). Also VW can get to clean the vehicle for a change as subject always used the dirt roads of the cane fields to get to Umhlanga. An image had to be maintained.That Amarok was never, but never cleaned. No story here anymore, subject KMB closed. Que Sera. The idea is not to be judgmental towards KMB or to run him down. The idea is provide a perspective for readers to form an opinion and understand whether KMB is capable of saying the things he did at a time when the bereaved families hadn't even lain their loved ones to rest. No further comment from my side anymore. I have talked myself into a rage again.    

Stay wider of the rider

The Star Late Edition · 10 Feb 2016 · ·

THERE is only one winner in a collision between a 1­ton car and driver, and an 85kg bicycle and rider. At the weekend, Richard da Silva, chairman of the Kings Park Cycling Club in Durban, and Jarred Dwyer were the losers in that simple equation.

They lost their lives, taken from them by a driver alleged to have been drunk, who ploughed into them from behind.

Yesterday, a cyclist was killed in Eikenhof, south of Joburg, after a car hit him. Three years ago, Burry Stander, perhaps the greatest cycling talent South Africa has seen, was killed by a taxi driver near Shelly Beach on the KZN South Coast.

More than all the other noise about whom the roads belong to, more than the arguments about who breaks the laws of the road the most, more than all the nonsense about the arrogance of one side and the anger of another, is the crux of the matter.

When the driver of a car hits a cyclist, the cyclist loses. There are no stories of cyclists killing the driver of a car by hitting them. Cars, trucks and buses get scratches. Cyclists get scratches and broken bones, and they die.

Where have we come since Stander was killed? A campaign to have a compulsory 1.5­metre overtaking space has gained much publicity.

Stay wider of the rider, they ask. Few do. Cycle lanes, such as those in Braamfontein and Auckland Park, are regarded as a hindrance and an inconvenience to motorists, and are ignored without fear of prosecution by the authorities.

It isn’t only the lycra weekend warriors, training for big races, who die.

It is the man and woman from Alex, riding to work on a bike as it is the cheapest and easiest form of transport.

A bicycle is freedom for the poor and the rich. It is a tool and a plaything. It is always the loser in a collision. Stay wider of the rider. It sounds simple. They are not riding to annoy car drivers.

They are just trying to be alive.

The problem is the utter lawlessness on our roads.

Most responsible drivers will abide by the 1.5m rule, drive the speed limit, stop at stop streets etc.

When an idoit gets behind the wheel of a car, 4 times over the limit and dices his mate at 160km/h, it wont matter if the gap is 1.5 meters or 6 meters.

Someone is going to get hurt, whether it be a cyclist, a pedestrian or another motorist.

Far stricter traffic laws have to be enforced all round, before anyone can even wish to make the 1.5m rule a reality.

Sadly taxi's just start to blockade roads when they get ticketed, citing victimisation, and all tickets are squashed. Traffic officers accept bribes and let offenders off to do it again. Dockets go missing and cases are thrown out of court ... and and.

Sorry if I sound cynical but my faith is small at the moment.

My point I guess is be safe out there guys, on any road you need to be extra vigilant these days.  

KMB's absence from the mainstream limelight is no great loss. Hopefully the high-flying bill will be beyond reproach and he leaves Umdloti as well. The complex braai (Name withheld) will be a much more amicable affair without his boisterous demeanor talking everyone down, crude interruption, usage of profanities when kids are around without even flinching an eyelid, to the point where parents leave festivities.General swinging of the whip like a spoiled brat at Complex AGM and other meetings. But then again, every complex has one of these, what am I saying here...? At least the Amarok is not being revved or used as a Disco anymore (obvious reasons). Also VW can get to clean the vehicle for a change as subject always used the dirt roads of the cane fields to get to Umhlanga. An image had to be maintained.That Amarok was never, but never cleaned. No story here anymore, subject KMB closed. Que Sera. The idea is not to be judgmental towards KMB or to run him down. The idea is provide a perspective for readers to form an opinion and understand whether KMB is capable of saying the things he did at a time when the bereaved families hadn't even lain their loved ones to rest. No further comment from my side anymore. I have talked myself into a rage again.

Well, I don't want to come over as judgemental, but I always say that to do what he did wasn't I one time thing, a weak moment or whatever he or people in similar situations like to call it. When you do something like this means there is a flaw in your character, period. Accept it, take responsibility for it and deal with it.

If he is mature enough he will take a good hard look at himself in the mirror and hopefully walk away a better man.

If not, I will definitely not ride a bike on the routes that he drives on.

Kevin Minter Brown must be smarting right about now, swarmy grin wiped clean off his face. Car gone check, fat salary gone check, media reputation gone check.

Final check point is arguable I'm afraid... just look at how many loud mouth 'celebs' (inverted as I really don't see him as a celeb - maybe on Umdloti beach, but until his name popped up here I hadn't heard of him in ages) keep their jobs within the industry, just simply move house. Someone will hire him based on this publicity, albeit negative and insensitive.

Well, I don't want to come over as judgemental, but I always say that to do what he did wasn't I one time thing, a weak moment or whatever he or people in similar situations like to call it. When you do something like this means there is a flaw in your character, period. Accept it, take responsibility for it and deal with it.

If he is mature enough he will take a good hard look at himself in the mirror and hopefully walk away a better man.

If not, I will definitely not ride a bike on the routes that he drives walks, runs, rides, canoes, hitch hikes on.

Fixed  :clap: . Thanks to VW.

What I find disturbing is that they used the common word the one being jock...they should have stuck with the full term being jockey....this guy is a coward....

Actually, he is a "kant" as you would say in Afrikaans.. :whistling:

Final check point is arguable I'm afraid... just look at how many loud mouth 'celebs' (inverted as I really don't see him as a celeb - maybe on Umdloti beach, but until his name popped up here I hadn't heard of him in ages) keep their jobs within the industry, just simply move house. Someone will hire him based on this publicity, albeit negative and insensitive.

True, one can only hope. At least he should understand more fully that words have consequences. He must have felt some kind of moment of clarity, he had quite a precipitous drop. Granted he'll get more work but his seedy underbelly has been exposed, they'll be jobs that are less cushy and prestigious, jobs that'll suit his character more aptly.

Actually, he is a "kant" as you would say in Afrikaans.. :whistling:

Like Kosie that pics up Mandy the English girl for matric dance...he spends a whole week practicing his english....picks her up and greets the dad and mom with impeccable english (even though the accent was questionable) 

They get to a 4 way stop and he looks right and says to Mandy "are your kant clean"

The only way to change things in this country is to get up and do something about it...i hope to see lots and lots and lots and lots of cyclist at the bike and bean on Sunday morning.

Like Kosie that pics up Mandy the English girl for matric dance...he spends a whole week practicing his english....picks her up and greets the dad and mom with impeccable english (even though the accent was questionable) 

They get to a 4 way stop and he looks right and says to Mandy "are your kant clean"

Now I've just blown my lovely double espresso through my nose and all over my keyboard! But I'm still laughing!