Autopsy of a bike race - To Hell & (not) Back

DJR

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what an anti-climax, I was psyching myself for the next 2 weeks for Day 2's reports, just kidding. Once again Well done!!! You live to tell the tale is all that counts now & not the quitting bit #kudos !!!

:D Then I gotcha hook line and sinker, it's not called "Autopsy of a bike race" for nothing (thanks Beattbox for the title :thumbup: ). That was the clue that my race was bound to come to a dead end. It took me a whole month to completely recover and I'm pretty sure the autopsy would have been mine if I rode day 2 as well.

On that note who has stayed at the "2nd camp spot" before?

I haven't, but I've seen it - think it is a good option if your family goes with you. Would be much quieter than the main camp.

That was an extremely good read,I enjoyed it to bits DJR.[emoji106]

I've had this race on the bucketlist already,and youre story has just made me want to do it even more.

As they say 'one day is one day',thanks for the entertaining inspiration.[emoji122]

I'm going up there again over Easter......... :thumbup:

Excellent write-up DJR, relived the whole adventure through your eyes.

Pity about your illness but you made the right decision, it was really cold & windy for much of Day2, you probably would have ended up in hospital!

We are visiting Prince Albert the week before Easter, will also be revisiting those areas (maybe not quite the whole way to Hell & Back)

This is the reason why I only ever say, "Morning" and not, "Good Morning" - if it was a good morning I would be on a yacht in St. Tropez ;) :P

(Ok, that isn't mine, but I still like it)

You can't ride your bike on the yacht Lurchy..stop derailing this thread :P

This has motivated me to work harder towards my scaled down adventures.

Before long his place was taken by a photographer on a motorbike that leapfrogged me a few times to take still pictures as well as video footage of my private suffering. By that time I was beyond caring. Where I would usually perk up a bit, smile and greet, I just kept grinding my teeth on the bites of rancid elephant biltong in grim head down determination. No wonder the movie stars are prone to beating up paparazzi! The photographer also got tired of me after a few hills.

He is a friend of mine and I have said some choice words to him when I have been suffering up hills in races and he merrily jumps back on that motorbike and zooms off into the distance.

Not sure if this was the same cameraman, but he sped off somewhere on the pass, only to turn back because he forgot his helmet.

If I'm not mistaken the dude who went of the cliff on the last downhill was Gehard Genus or so I've heard. The one who is part of the infamous "Blou Trein" aka Outriders, who now works at Sportsworld.

Fantastic description of your Hell DJR. One of the most enjoyable threads I've read in ages.

Sorry your suffering brought me some good laughs.

Thanks DJR. You have given me hope to finish the Trans Karoo end April.

Good luck with that

:D Meanwhile, here is a splashy picture of Beattbox, doing his other sport!

Thanks! Caught doing the amazing "double back flip land on your head" trick - very difficult to do properly.  :clap:

I think Beattbox owes us the other side of this story, the "I have never waited so much in my life" saga.

It can have all the exciting things like standing admiring the view and looking every half hour to see if DJR is any closer. :P

Archived