Autopsy of a bike race - To Hell & (not) Back

DJR

We are planning to do a 5/6 day unsupported tour in that area in the near future. Can anybody assist with some recommendations on routes, GPS routes, accommodation etc as we don't know that part of the world at all.

We would like to start at a central point and cycle a circular or out and back route back to our starting point.

I did an unsupported 4 day ride by myself in that area in December and plan to make it an annual event.

I went from Willowmore to de Rust, over the pass to Prince Albert, back over to Calitzdorp and then an out and back over Huisrivier to  top of Seweweekspoort and back via van wyksdorp and Rooiberg.

Depending on when, you go and if our building is completed, I can recommend a beautiful farm in the Rooiberg to stay at :ph34r:  :ph34r:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Eddy

We are thinking some time during Oct/Nov. Will be in touch when finalised

We are planning to do a 5/6 day unsupported tour in that area in the near future. Can anybody assist with some recommendations on routes, GPS routes, accommodation etc as we don't know that part of the world at all.

We would like to start at a central point and cycle a circular or out and back route back to our starting point.

On the Mountain bike:

Prince Albert, over Swartberg Pass, through Matjiesriver to Kruisrivier. All on Dirt. Then to Calitzdorp on dirt, to Zoar on tar, through Seweweekspoort on dirt. Then Bosluiskloof dirt road, climb down the Ladder (hike a bike) into the Hell . Ride out of Hell to Swartberg Pass and down to Prince Albert. You work out the distances and where you want to sleep, but that would keep me going for 5 days easily. :)

On the Mountain bike:

Prince Albert, over Swartberg Pass, through Matjiesriver to Kruisrivier. All on Dirt. Then to Calitzdorp on dirt, to Zoar on tar, through Seweweekspoort on dirt. Then Bosluiskloof dirt road, climb down the Ladder (hike a bike) into the Hell . Ride out of Hell to Swartberg Pass and down to Prince Albert. You work out the distances and where you want to sleep, but that would keep me going for 5 days easily. :)

So when we doing this???

On the Mountain bike:

I do not think this a good idea unless you have permission and paid upfront?

The way I understand it is this is over some private ground and the owners do not want any bunch of riders just going through their properties.  Would hate cyclist to start the problem up again.

Unfortunately it is a ride into Die Hell and ride out again.  The farms along the way to Seweweeks generally allow you to camp at their campsites (of which there are many)

Speak to  Commissioner Johan Rissik.  He knows this route and assisted with my planning.

I do not think this a good idea unless you have permission and paid upfront?

The way I understand it is this is over some private ground and the owners do not want any bunch of riders just going through their properties.  Would hate cyclist to start the problem up again.

Unfortunately it is a ride into Die Hell and ride out again.  The farms along the way to Seweweeks generally allow you to camp at their campsites (of which there are many)

Speak to  Commissioner Johan Rissik.  He knows this route and assisted with my planning.

Agree 100%. I should have added the bit re. permission to cross Boplaas in the Hell. There have been some serious fights about access. As far as I know, the current situation is that permission is granted freely as long as you ask. Link below:

http://www.diehel.co.za/

An alternative route would be to carry on over Bosluis kloof to the Gamka Poort Dam. If you arrange beforehand, the owner of that property (Fox Ledeboer) will ferry you across the dam. Then ride back to Prince Albert. He sometimes insist that you sleep over at his place. Link below:

http://www.gamkapoortdam.co.za/contacts.html

Johan Rissik is a super guy to contact for advice about how / who to approach.

hmm we also wanna do ride into die hel. Our own support. Camp in the valley and head out with vans the next day. 4 days though sounds awesome!!

My wife & I did this race in 1st and 2nd years. Before we got married. Was her first MTB race ever. With no previous riding experience at all. Tough cookie...

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old as balls, but thanks for linking back here DJR.

I've always heard of THAB, but it never really tickled my fancy until I realized this same route is one we took back in 2015 (maybe 16?) when I was part of the media team for the Ford Ranger Odyssey. Easily the highlight of my life (don't tell my wife that). Seeing the pictures and reading your description of the route brings back so many memories. All of a sudden this is a bucket list item.

Thanks DJR!