Autopsy of a bike race - To Hell & (not) Back

DJR

Ok I'm in hook line & sinker,patiently waiting for the next installment . I feel like a kid waiting for the next chapter

This is on my list of to do races...

Me too!!! Can't wait for no 4

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's snow looks freeezing!

2002 started raining at 6 the morning continued to drizzle and soft to harder rain. Over the top my polar said 5 degrees with wind chill someone said -5. Now this was wearing summer lycra with arm warmers. Luckily this was time they started to upgrade the campsite and R5 for a warm shower was a bargain

This was my 'party trick' in the office when showing photos / telling the Irish about the Swartberg Pass:

post-66463-0-36492600-1455650632_thumb.jpg

They were always mighty impressed. :)

Also, interesting to see farm names like 'Limerick' in the area... the Leprechaun genes must still be running around in the mountains...

This weekend I lost my S2C and W2W tickets. That can only mean one thing : My first Hell and Back. This thread is making me really excited. I will start preparing tomorrow. Also time to do Lighthouse to Lighthouse again...

Edited by TALUS

This was my 'party trick' in the office when showing photos / telling the Irish about the Swartberg Pass:

attachicon.gifSwarbergPasGaelic.jpg

They were always mighty impressed. :)

Also, interesting to see farm names like 'Limerick' in the area... the Leprechaun genes must still be running around in the mountains...

A hundred thousand welcomes!  :thumbup:  :clap: Indeed

eddy what was your time in doing this ?

also how much time did it take ?

*sorry for the hijack DRR*

so the thought is oudtshoorn to gamkas to prince albert ... sleep.......then prince albert, gamkas oudtshoorn, possible or just stupid ?

Possible and stupid.

Seriously, in winter this will be hard ride, in summer utterly hard!!! 

I hit 39.7 degrees at 10:15 in December going up the South Side.

I left PA at 04:45 the next to escape the heat and still hit 40 degrees before I got to Kruis Rivier.

I hated every minute and loved every hour.

Every other year during the Dec holidays I have an early lunch in PA, and then ride over the pass to Groenfoentein where we normally stay for a week.  Riding the northern side in the noon heat is HELL, so by the time I get to Groenfontein I am literally cooked. 

But this rides hardens me for a good while and give me a good dose of RULE 5.

@ Slowbee

Joh, you are talking of something I have never even contemplated, riding into the Hell and out in the same day! That is going to be seriously tough. I would rather start further away, say from Calitzdorp and ride over Kruisrivier, up the Pass and sleep in the Hell. Then ride out the next day, down to Prince Albert or back over the Swartberg pass to your starting point.

There used to be an in and out race not for long though, I think too many people wussed out.

This weekend I lost my S2C and W2W tickets. That can only mean one thing : My first Hell and Back. This thread is making me really excited. I will start preparing tomorrow. Also time to do Lighthouse to Lighthouse again...

Hell and Back has been on the same weekend as 94.7 for the last couple of years. I have always settled for the convenient one, but maybe you have the right idea and I should do the hard one instead.

Hell and Back has been on the same weekend as 94.7 for the last couple of years. I have always settled for the convenient one, but maybe you have the right idea and I should do the hard one instead.

This. 100%

here here ...throw your avid readers a crumb

DJR, stop teasing, start typing ;)

DJR - did you attend the "Kelson Elena da Cruz" school of hub storywriting?

If so - the rest of you should just be patient, or come back to this thread in 2 weeks time when all is finished...

DJR - did you attend the "Kelson Elena da Cruz" school of hub storywriting?

If so - the rest of you should just be patient, or come back to this thread in 2 weeks time when all is finished...

:D I promise to get it finished by the weekend because I don't want this to cut into my (or anyone elses) riding time ;)

:D I promise to get it finished by the weekend because I don't want this to cut into my (or anyone elses) riding time ;)

???????????????????????????????? even my wife asked me this morning already if there is any more installments ... We don't Watch much tv ...????

This thread is moving the race very much higher up on the bucket list.

I want to do it this year already.It sounds awesome.

Edited by Mads