Racing Ralph tyre leaking sealant

I FLY

post-43-0-45482600-1457589945_thumb.jpgpost-43-0-14597600-1457589944_thumb.jpg

I was very surprised this morning to see how much sealant has come through the tyre.

I had a big accident just before Xmas and so did not ride this bike until last

Saturday.

There was a rythmic noise coming from this tyre during my rides but I could not find

anything suck in it.

Maybe the sealant had seeped into the layers and my weight has forced it out.

Edited by I FLY

Open the tire and take out the sealant monster.... :) thats your rythmic noise - and then put in fresh sealant and should be good to go - that weeping is not unusual, especially when you use Schwalbe tyres.

I found this problem with newish Schwalbes, older Schwalbes, new fluid, old fluid, different types of fluid, Snakeskin, Evo, Pace Star, Trail Star... all kinds

anyway you get the picture... open, Clean, new fluid, live with it until it gets so bad that you have to replace the tyre due to the leaking and seeping.

Edited by s14phoenix

I have wondered if the type of fluid used has a degrading effect on the tyre itself.

Was thinking about using SLUDGE again instead of Stans or Joes and similar as it did not have the same residue build up inside the tyre as Stans typically.

Had it happen on lots of tyre brands. seems worse when sealant gets old.

Replace sealant and go get the tyres dirty. The dirt does a good job of  hiding the weeping.

Open the tire and take out the sealant monster.... :) thats your rythmic noise - and then put in fresh sealant and should be good to go - that weeping is not unusual, especially when the sealant is old.

This. It's due to the evaporation over time, and the only thing left is small enough (from a molecular perspective) to seep through tyres. 

Remove alien from tyre, wash and replace with new sealant. 

Jawohl its normal...my rocket rons (newish) have been bleeding all over.

I'm not convinced its due to the sealant (Stans) being old, it started a few weeks after i put in new sealant. Mine are proper tubeless rocket rons but somehow the sealant manages to still find ways to escape.

If you can hear something inside then you will need to put in new sealant as most of it has turned into a slimy asteroid... remove the asteroid and any remaining liquid, don't wash or scrub the tyre, add new sealant and carry on riding

Edited by SwissVan

I have S-Works tyres .... does the same thing , but looses very little pressure .

I top up sealant about every 4 rides .

I have S-Works tyres .... does the same thing , but looses very little pressure .

Every 4?? Think you are riding on permatubes by now... That, or your favourite racing line is balancing on the barbwire fence.

Edited by rickus_viljoen

I had the exact same issue with my Racing Ralph.

During Tankwa I had major issues, and punctures cost us the day and the race. I had brand new fresh sealant in it. Don't know if it is related to the seeping tyres, but I wont take that chance again.

I also use sworks and the leaks are very minor and on the sidewall, getting paranoid now Im gonna go top up now.

I had the exact same issue with my Racing Ralph.

During Tankwa I had major issues, and punctures cost us the day and the race. I had brand new fresh sealant in it. Don't know if it is related to the seeping tyres, but I wont take that chance again.

Hah someone agrees with me! :thumbup:  I also use Racing Ralph Snakeskins and this type of leak is normal - for a tyre that is near its end! I saw there were cracks in the rubber in the centre when my tyres did this. I have also learnt the hard way that if something does not seem right with a tyre it will soon end on the trail.

Edited by Rocky Rider

the rhythmic noise... check if there isn't a bubble on the top of the tyre somewhere, i had a Ralph bubble at the top of the tread, almost makes a squishing noise as it goes over that part.