RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not riveting, but interesting

I know someone who had a pair of side by sides made for him by Arietta of Spain, about 20 years ago if I remember right. I think the lead time was a couple of years. When they were ready they contacted him to let him know they would ship as soon as he made the final (eyewatering) payment. As it happened, he was going to be in Europe for business, so he said he would come and collect the guns. They said they would send a car and driver to fetch him from the airport.

On the day, there was an ancient old guy waiting for him with a handwritten sign with his name on. The car was an old Peugeot or  Renault and the old guy could not say more than a couple of words in English. So they drove to what he expected to be the smart shop. But they ended up at a very modest workshop. He said it could not really be called a factory. There it was revealed that his driver was actually the elder Sr Arrieta himself. The man that founded the company, and he was introduced to the whole team. Which consisted of a handful of sons, cousins and that was that. There were no fancy computerized machinery. Everything got made by hand by craftsmen using techniques a hundred or more years old. He spent the best part of the morning with them. Each showed him what he did and how his part of the work fitted into the masterplan that ends up a masterpiece. Then he got invited to share their lunch before getting delivered back to the airport. The pair of guns are absolute marvels of handmade beauty and I find it sad that he hardly ever shoots with them.

https://www.arrietashotguns.com/en/

Edited by DJR

One of the coolest things I saw, although far from the most financially valuable, was an old WW1 sniper rifle in its original box, with original sling and mag. It had the correct rings and scope on too which made this the only set of its kind I’ve yet seen. Unfortunately although those parts were correct for the rifle and period the numbers did not match so although it had good value (financially) its value would have been hugely higher if they had matched.

hi hubberz is there a local rfle site which i could sell a entry level gas ram .22 on .  ty in advance .

Edited by ThePubSA

I know someone who had a pair of side by sides made for him by Arietta of Spain, about 20 years ago if I remember right. I think the lead time was a couple of years. When they were ready they contacted him to let him know they would ship as soon as he made the final (eyewatering) payment. As it happened, he was going to be in Europe for business, so he said he would come and collect the guns. They said they would send a car and driver to fetch him from the airport.

On the day, there was an ancient old guy waiting for him with a handwritten sign with his name on. The car was an old Peugeot or  Renault and the old guy could not say more than a couple of words in English. So they drove to what he expected to be the smart shop. But they ended up at a very modest workshop. He said it could not really be called a factory. There it was revealed that his driver was actually the elder Sr Arrieta himself. The man that founded the company, and he was introduced to the whole team. Which consisted of a handful of sons, cousins and that was that. There were no fancy computerized machinery. Everything got made by hand by craftsmen using techniques a hundred or more years old. He spent the best part of the morning with them. Each showed him what he did and how his part of the work fitted into the masterplan that ends up a masterpiece. Then he got invited to share their lunch before getting delivered back to the airport. The pair of guns are absolute marvels of handmade beauty and I find it sad that he hardly ever shoots with them.

https://www.arrietashotguns.com/en/

@4:45 ... when you have two guns and have a guy loading for you  :eek:

but this is better

From about 9 m onwards they talk about the custom fit of a shotgun. Few people appreciate the importance of this. If it doesn't fit you, you will never reach your full potential shooting it. Much like a good bike fit!

From about 9 m onwards they talk about the custom fit of a shotgun. Few people appreciate the importance of this. If it doesn't fit you, you will never reach your full potential shooting it. Much like a good bike fit!

Proper fit, particularly length of pull are crucial even just for casual shooters, and often over looked.

Buying from someone who knows what they’re talking about is invaluable.

Length of pull can usually be adjusted but sometimes things like the comb height are a problem and is much more difficult to resolve.

Proper fit, particularly length of pull are crucial even just for casual shooters, and often over looked.

Buying from someone who knows what they’re talking about is invaluable.

Length of pull can usually be adjusted but sometimes things like the comb height are a problem and is much more difficult to resolve.

I am assuming you toppies are old enough to have served in the army.

How did they deal with massive numbers of soldiers and then ensuring they get the best fit possible for them .... or was it more a case of here is as much ammo as you can carry, and enjoy the full auto setting on the rifle?

How did they deal with massive numbers of soldiers and then ensuring they get the best fit possible for them .... or was it more a case of here is as much ammo as you can carry, and enjoy the full auto setting on the rifle?

I really struggled with the R1 because the stock was too long for me to get comfortable during basics. After I spent 18 months on the border with lots of ammo I got reasonable proficient. Loved full auto.

However on my camps the R4 was available and this suited me much better. 

I was the first year to miss out, which I wasn’t too happy about, but as far as I know there was and still is pretty much no option you just had to make it work for you. My experience comes from working in the trade, being an instructor and a sports shooter.

But honestly for the most part and for military purposes most people can do just fine with the standard issue.

Edited by The Ghost

My pellet gun shoots at a speed of 345m/s. I think that a pistol also shoots at 345m/s +-.

Will a 345m/s pellet be strong enough to kill an animal the size of a cat if I shoot it in the body?