RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May as well ask here...you gius seem to know a LOT.

If say a person (me) would buy a handgun what handgun would be recommended.

Apparently it would make everyone feel better if I had a handgun as it's just the boys and me and we travel on our own quite a bit.

I am currently busy with all my competency..did the hours in the classroom, did the open book exams and aced the closed book exams..this weekend I start the practical side of things.

Do yourself a favour and get hold of Leo Prinsloo on 084 800 6098.

He is a ex colleague and will teach you real life skills :thumbup: 

He can do private lesson and will put you on a skill level you never thought possible.

http://www.tesi.co.za/?fbclid=IwAR1iZdd9g3oJEq2Nj5tFMdlbl8OvuB8upImyrXsTA5ZBJdRCeiWYxz8bxlY

Eish....maak n plan :w00t:

Lol I'll have a look at it and keep them in mind. The academy that I've dealt with seem to be quite good...not that I really know what good would be, but everyone I've spoken to rate them quite highly.

Lol I'll have a look at it and keep them in mind. The academy that I've dealt with seem to be quite good...not that I really know what good would be, but everyone I've spoken to rate them quite highly.

Shooting paper targets and pulling a gun out on a person/s is 2 totally different things.Do the proper train so that shooting becomes instinctive.Last thing you want or need is someone taking your gun off you and using it against you or the family.

Shooting paper targets and pulling a gun out on a person/s is 2 totally different things.Do the proper train so that shooting becomes instinctive.Last thing you want or need is someone taking your gun off you and using it against you or the family.

I imagine it is the same as with martial arts or hand to hand self defense ... unless you practice under simulated fighting conditions you never really know how your body will react and you need to be under stress.

I imagine it is the same as with martial arts or hand to hand self defense ... unless you practice under simulated fighting conditions you never really know how your body will react and you need to be under stress.

This is a touchy subject in the industry because some try and simulate it too much and actually put students and others at risk, but in theory you are right.

Every bit of stress you can add will have a larger amount of error to even seasoned shooters, even just a timer at a sports match can make a fair bit of difference (another good reason to do sport shooting).

And even after well simulated training you still never know how you will react (can even be different each time), that’s why you have to a)train yourself to react differently and b) be able to operate your blaster without even thinking so that your brain can focus on keeping you alive in other ways rather than being tied up with manipulations.

There are tactical teams and f seasoned operators that still stop the vehicle around the corner and take a pee before going in, just in case [emoji1].

But by doing the training and participating etc you give yourself a better chance with each step, and that’s really what it’s about, improving your chances of survival.

There is a .22Hornet heirloom with my name on it.

It used to belong to my mothers grandpa, went to my grandpa, when my uncle passed away it was supposed to go to me, but I was 9 at the time, so it went to my mother, who now wants to pass it on to me.

I'll start with my competency, and sommer do competency for the pistol as well.

I won't go hunting with it, there is a 7x57 for that, but the Hornet is a very lekker teiken skiet gun.

I'm curious about the history of it.

Its a ZKW 456 .22Hornet.

Does anyone know where to check for the date of manufacture or how to read it from the serial number?

There is a .22Hornet heirloom with my name on it.

It used to belong to my mothers grandpa, went to my grandpa, when my uncle passed away it was supposed to go to me, but I was 9 at the time, so it went to my mother, who now wants to pass it on to me.

I'll start with my competency, and sommer do competency for the pistol as well.

I won't go hunting with it, there is a 7x57 for that, but the Hornet is a very lekker teiken skiet gun.

I'm curious about the history of it.

Its a ZKW 456 .22Hornet.

Does anyone know where to check for the date of manufacture or how to read it from the serial number?

Ugh, good luck with the licensing on that. .22s are notoriously difficult to get a license for these days

Ugh, good luck with the licensing on that. .22s are notoriously difficult to get a license for these days

That was the case a decade ago or so, because the coppers got it into their heads that a 22 has no justifiable purpose so you could not motivate the need for one, Just about all they accepted was to shoot vermin, but only if you owned a farm. Since then things have changed and with proper motivation, it is entirely possible to motivate for a 22 license even if you are a city dweller. Just motivate it properly, mostly based around the fact that your other rifles of larger calibre are extremely expensive to shoot and practice with. In order to practice enough to be proficient for hunting ethically, a 22 is excellent on the shooting range. Its ammo cost a fraction of larger calibres and its recoil is miniscule, allowing you to shoot regularly and cost effectively. Methinks that should apply to the 22 Hornet also, although the ammo for it might be pretty scarce and not nearly as cheap as a 22 LR. What I am trying to say is this: Don't shy away from applying for a 22 license, just get help from a someone with the right knowledge if you have to and motivate it properly.

Edited by DJR

That was the case a decade ago or so, because the coppers got it into their heads that a 22 has no justifiable purpose so you could not motivate the need for one, Just about all they accepted was to shoot vermin, but only if you owned a farm. Since then things have changed and with proper motivation, it is entirely possible to motivate for a 22 license even if you are a city dweller. Just motivate it properly, mostly based around the fact that your other rifles of larger calibre are extremely expensive to shoot and practice with. In order to practice enough to be proficient for hunting ethically, a 22 is excellent on the shooting range. Its ammo cost a fraction of larger calibres and its recoil is miniscule, allowing you to shoot regularly and cost effectively. Methinks that should apply to the 22 Hornet also, although the ammo for it might be pretty scarce and not nearly as cheap as a 22 LR. What I am trying to say is this: Don't shy away from applying for a 22 license, just get help from a someone with the right knowledge if you have to and motivate it properly.

Thanks

The local fire arm policeman referred me to a lady to go do competency with, and she helps with the licensing, and also told me to join a club and do enough shoots and then she puts a motivation packet together with all of this. But he said it shouldn't be an issue.

My dad has a BSA .22 that I will also inherit one day, may as well do them all together if that helps my case.

I have time, so I'll do it properly.

And if all else fails and every dirty trick also fails, then I'll have a gunsmith disable it after doing ballistics so that I can deregister it and put it on a mantel piece and at least keep the heirloom.

..............And if all else fails and every dirty trick also fails, then I'll have a gunsmith disable it after doing ballistics so that I can deregister it and put it on a mantel piece and at least keep the heirloom.

A knife must cut or it is not a knife, a bike must ride, a rifle needs to shoot or it is just a sad piece of metal and wood. I really believe that it should only be disabled if it has a safety issue that cannot be resolved to keep it functional. Even if you shoot only a couple of shots a year with it, each of those will honour the rifle, its owners and the adventures they had with it. Sentimental? Yes, I plead guilty!

A knife must cut or it is not a knife, a bike must ride, a rifle needs to shoot or it is just a sad piece of metal and wood. I really believe that it should only be disabled if it has a safety issue that cannot be resolved to keep it functional. Even if you shoot only a couple of shots a year with it, each of those will honour the rifle, its owners and the adventures they had with it. Sentimental? Yes, I plead guilty!

Nothing wrong with being sentimental.

I just don't want to sell it, and I refuse to hand it in to the police if I can't get a license for it. Then I'll rather have it as a mantel piece than not know where it ended up.

But there are many avenues to exhaust before that needs to be done.

And if all else fails and every dirty trick also fails, then I'll have a gunsmith disable it after doing ballistics so that I can deregister it and put it on a mantel piece and at least keep the heirloom.

This takes even more time and pain than getting it licensed.