MTB thugs spoil a morning ride at Hoogekraal

maxanon

..I take my first road trip to Oudtshoorn,..gets pulled over by a Metro Officer,...1) Is it his responsibility to come to me, before my road trip and warn me of each provincial road law and regulation? 2) Now that I have caused offence,..the "officer" is a ......?

Did he yell at you and want to bliksem you or did he tell you what you did wrong, maybe give you a warning, or, if you're unlucky like me give you a fine and tell you to enjoy your day further? 

You trying to win an argument with "facts" we don't have, the "facts" we have are represented in the opening post. 

1. Admission of guilt

2. Willing to pay for the use of this area

3. Willing to pay for an annual entry

I would say the OP is a reasonable person relating to this incident and would give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the sounds of it, our friend Brandon is the type of person who would approach the OP in the manner that he was. Lose the aggression buddy!

There seems to be a few chips on a few shoulders.

Civility costs nothing whether you're in the right or not.

By the sounds of it, our friend Brandon is the type of person who would approach the OP in the manner that he was. Lose the aggression buddy!

...such a pity that those willing to stand for what's right, ito privileges, access and rights to enjoy farms, which can be denied at any given time, due to ignorance, are seen as aggressive!! If you'd to sit opposite the table, enjoying a cup of coffee, "aggression" would not be found,..but passion for the sport, and a humbled appreciation of life and these privileges. :)

...such a pity that those willing to stand for what's right, ito privileges, access and rights to enjoy farms, which can be denied at any given time, due to ignorance, are seen as aggressive!! If you'd to sit opposite the table, enjoying a cup of coffee, "aggression" would not be found,..but passion for the sport, and a humbled appreciation of life and these privileges. :)

no worries bud, maybe your passion comes across that way. I'm guilty of that myself at times!

Especially if you'd paid and others free load. It ultimately comes down to how matters are addressed.

no worries bud, maybe your passion comes across that way. I'm guilty of that myself at times!

Especially if you'd paid and others free load. It ultimately comes down to how matters are addressed.

I admit, there are still alot of things I can be better at,..but Passion ain't one of it ;D

Not tygerberg trails but my local trails. The trails run over the land i live on and hence why i "patrol" that piece of land when i am out riding.

My wife actually hates it when i do police the routes because it always end in someone being rude. I have been called a fat fuc%&* cun& by one of the trails members in my own driveway but thats a story for another time.

Last weekend i came across a guy who had another trails board over his board so i nicely asked him if he could while he is on our trails please have this trails board upfront and when he is on the other trail that trails board in front.

He obviously was not happy and said in a crap tone of voice yeah i will do it. and kept on riding, never mind he was riding in the wrong direction as well. So i said cool i will wait for you to do it. He turned and the bottom of the hill and came back up and i asked him again nicely to please do it. he said he will do it at the top of the hill.

So i started to ride again, behind him. At the top there is a gate which he got of his bike went through the gate and got on and kept riding.

Not wanting to keep on about this i was behind him and his buddy i announced his number of the sister trail network on his board and his buddys number of our trails board and said i am done asking i will report you to the club.

Then all of a sudden they stopped and immediately on the attack. I told him i asked nicely twice, then having to explain to him why we have number boards and why he must display them his buddy was upset why i quoted his number and i said again in our club rules it says you cannot ride with someone without a board...then he went on and said i am spoiling his day, i just told him he was spoiling mine, some people are just arrogant dicks and they think they can do what ever the want.

And maybe you weren't the first guy on the day giving them grieve and unfortunately they took it out on you.

Regardless of the facts of this particular incident, there are a lot of self-entitled, arrogant chops who rock up at Tygerberg Trails (and I'm sure all the other trails as well) in expensive cars, with expensive bikes and are too self-entitled to pay the R40 trail fee. They are the same people who ride across the members only green corridors and on the members only trails. I reckon the fee paying, rule obeying members of TMBC are a bit gatvol already and hence the overreaction at times.

Good day to you all

As a member of TMTBC and as a Trail Marshal for the club I would like to extend apologies to Maxanon for the manner in which this situation was handled.  Having read through most of the comments made by various people I would like to ask that we put this matter to rest now.  We do have an issue with rogue riding which is a huge problem for us to try and control, and with land owners getting fed up with this we as Marshals have a tough time trying to keep people being honest and ensuring that all club rules are adhered to.  

Yes, there are times where discussions get heated but at the end of the day most transgressors see the light and realize that paying their dues are well worth their while in the long run.  Our trail network is extensive and for the annual fees charged as well as the daily permits on offer via SnapScan, honesty box and permits available from various locations one must admit that paying to use these trails made available to us is worth the costs charged, so I appeal to all to do the right thing and pay for what you are getting, in which ever form it may be.  This will make life easier for all involved.

Maxanon, please contact me and I will direct you to the best possible person to assist you in getting to learn everything you need to know about our trail network, or alternately look up the group "Slow Coach" on Facebook and hook up with the guys there that regularly take new riders around our trails.  I am sure you will benefit greatly from this experience.

Regards...and keep the rubber side down 

Rogue riding is a problem regardless of the system used. However, I have a job and it is not that of a masked crusader. Unless I see you hopping the fence to get in, I doubt that I will call you out if I suspect you are free riding. I just keep my kant clean.

With that said, bike trails are becoming very popular and are popping up like mushrooms. Soon, you will be spending R100 bucks for every weekend ride just because every landowner is trying to cash in on this opportunity. So I fear the rogue riding thing will be here to stay as well.

On the upside, as mtb'ers you should be safer in a bike park and you might be able to clock 100km without ever being more than 10km from home. And have a drink aftterwards at the shop.

2 simple things:

A) pay to ride, everyone

B) Hoogekraal is not really a beginner trail. But please, post you go pro footage of Cobra if you do attempt it :whistling:

It seems to me as if the very MEMBERS of these clubs are the biggest transgressors of their own rules.......just saying.

2 simple things:

A) pay to ride, everyone

B) Hoogekraal is not really a beginner trail. But please, post you go pro footage of Cobra if you do attempt it :whistling:

Good day

How does one post clips on here?

Regards,

Russell

I wonder what the guys are doing this Saturday and Sunday that has so much advice on who, what, how, to manage trails.....

maybe they should offer up their time and marshal for a day or 2 to listen to all the K@k excuses the rogue riders come up with as to why they don't have their membership boards or paid for their day passes.....

2 simple things:

A) pay to ride, everyone

Not Cobra but Hoogekraal none the less...last single track section

https://youtu.be/5w7nGqMbkZQ

Archived