Wheel building

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, madmarc said:

No i'm sure  he immigrated to Scotland 

So Who's Running the Business now, and from Where ?

3 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

I believe he's moved to Cape Town.

Sorry for me.

I dealt with Wayne a month ago, it might have changed in the interim, best bet to reach out to him, he is very responsive. 

On 5/30/2023 at 9:12 AM, Wyatt Earp said:

I know a guy.

3 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Jozi still has some pretty good wheelbuilders within its surroundings.

Is old George from mean machine still building wheels, he used to be damn good

i suspect he would have retired by now

31 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Is old George from mean machine still building wheels, he used to be damn good

i suspect he would have retired by now

He no longer builds wheels.

Doctor George, laced and built my first wheel with him in 1988.

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

So Who's Running the Business now, and from Where ?

What business, Rapide or the guy that’s moved to Scotland with his elongated debates ?

Edited by Wyatt Earp

5 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

I believe he's moved to Cape Town.

Sorry for me.

yay for me.

https://www.rapide.co.za/contact-us/

May 2023: Now In Cape Town

Thanks for your patience! We are up and running in Cape Town and dispatching orders as per normal but we have not opened our office for collections and dropping off wheels for building etc. yet

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

yay for me.

https://www.rapide.co.za/contact-us/

May 2023: Now In Cape Town

Thanks for your patience! We are up and running in Cape Town and dispatching orders as per normal but we have not opened our office for collections and dropping off wheels for building etc. yet

Wow!!!  Wayne built a wheel for me about 4 weeks ago, didn't mention a thing about moving.

Is he in the Cape (or Scotland) and did someone else take over the Rapide business in SA?

Edit:  He responded to my text, he is based in Cape Town now.

Edited by TheoG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. Advice please. I had my rear carbon wheel rebuilt with new set of spokes. Road bike. Went for a ride today and after about 10km there was a scraping noise, mostly when climbing. I later stopped and found some of the spokes were not tight and rattling (also when I rode over slight bumps in the road).

Contacted the LBS who said this is because the spokes were still settling in and was told to bring wheel in to be tightened. I was not advised of this when I collected the wheel after the build.

Based on this logic, all new bikes sold would need to be brought back... or are wheels properly tensioned at the factory?

Is this correct; sounds odd? 

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, Roadie_ said:

Hi guys. Advice please. I had my rear carbon wheel rebuilt with new set of spokes. Road bike. Went for a ride today and after about 10km there was a scraping noise, mostly when climbing. I later stopped and found some of the spokes were not tight and rattling (also when I rode over slight bumps in the road).

Contacted the LBS who said this is because the spokes were still settling in and was told to bring wheel in to be tightened. I was not advised of this when I collected the wheel after the build.

Based on this logic, all new bikes sold would need to be brought back... or are wheels properly tensioned at the factory?

Is this correct; sounds odd? 

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Had a new wheelset built recently and was told to bring them back after around 100km to make sure the tensions were correct and to retension anything that had worked it's way loose. 

After 10km it seems a bit excessive, would possibly suggest the tension was too loose to start with? 

Scraping noise may be tyre/rim contacting the frame under load, depending on your clearances... 

3 minutes ago, Mtree said:

Had a new wheelset built recently and was told to bring them back after around 100km to make sure the tensions were correct and to retension anything that had worked it's way loose. 

After 10km it seems a bit excessive, would possibly suggest the tension was too loose to start with? 

Scraping noise may be tyre/rim contacting the frame under load, depending on your clearances... 

Thanks Mtree. I looked at the frame and brakes, think that the scraping is spokes rubbing against each other where they cross? Will do a few more gentle km's to get to 100 and then take back.  Thanks for confirming that this is normal, but LBS should have pre-advised me, which makes this frustrating.

3 minutes ago, Roadie_ said:

Thanks Mtree. I looked at the frame and brakes, think that the scraping is spokes rubbing against each other where they cross? Will do a few more gentle km's to get to 100 and then take back.  Thanks for confirming that this is normal, but LBS should have pre-advised me, which makes this frustrating.

If it's scraping already, I would be taking them back to LBS to have things looked at.

@nick_the_wheelbuilder will have a more informative comment on the matter though. 

13 hours ago, Mtree said:

If it's scraping already, I would be taking them back to LBS to have things looked at.

@nick_the_wheelbuilder will have a more informative comment on the matter though. 

A properly-built wheel will never have to be touched or adjusted once delivered to a customer. 
Pluck each spoke like a guitar string and if they all sound the same, on each side of the wheel, the tensions are even. 
If the pitch is all over the place, the wheel wasn’t built well. 

1 hour ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

A properly-built wheel will never have to be touched or adjusted once delivered to a customer. 
Pluck each spoke like a guitar string and if they all sound the same, on each side of the wheel, the tensions are even. 
If the pitch is all over the place, the wheel wasn’t built well. 

#post not applicable to those of us who are tonedeaf