Wheel building

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/8/2023 at 10:46 PM, Scott roy said:

So I recently melted my carbon MTB rim and have therefore got to replace it. I’m going to get the new hoop built onto my current hub and spokes which didn’t get damaged, I am however wondering where to do this now. Cycle lab have built me two wheel sets that were incorrectly built and one even had two loose spokes so I do not want to go to them, I’d rather go to an expert. Any recommendations for someone good in Pretoria and what would it cost roughly? 

thanks 

Rapide in Jozi. I had my American Classic wheels rebuilt by Wayne for R1400 which included shipping back to CT. It was cheaper to send my wheels from CT and have him rebuild, and theres nothing wrong with Wayne’s products. I’ve bought 2 MTB wheelsets from him with zero issues and the roadbike is now sorted with the new spokes and nipples.

*I had to have my American Classics Victory wheels rebuilt after the original aluminium nipples broke and I couldn’t tension the wheels. Sad to say I lost the 3,5mm bladed spokes in the process, Wayne installed his Alpina Bladed spokes. Very happy with the outcome. 

I ride a set of Rapide alu 29 36mm inner width 32h rims. I don't know my current weight but it is far north of 120kg. I ride all sorts of janky trails including rocks, jumps, drops, cases and general abusive terrain. In the 2 years I've had them I haven't had any spokes pop, nor any need for truing either. I killed my rear tyre descending Red Phoenix a couple weeks back, yet the wheel itself is still in perfect order. I absolutely cannot fault those wheels. Even the hubs just keep trucking on. They're not the lightest, sure, but if weight loss is what I need then a good pre-ride dump would do wonders.

I would like to add that I spoke at length with Nick and based on our chats I wouldn't hesitate to make use of his service. I opted for Wayne from Rapide purely because I have dealt with him before and preferred to go with the known rather than the unknown. Nothing against Nick. I like what he’s doing with the Nextie carbon wheels, it’s something I would seriously consider if and when I decide to go for carbon wheels. 

• 3 weeks later...

To the wheel builders, what’s your opinion on the content of this podcast?

Does a Cycling Wheel Stand on the Bottom Spokes or Hang from the Top Spokes?

The full podcast is a 15-min listen; less if you skip the analogy to concrete under stress (start at 7:45 for the wheel-related discussion).

Some takeaway points are:

1. Spokes like to take up tension, and dislike compression;

2. A wheel hangs from the upper spokes and doesn’t “stand up” by the lower spikes - again, tension keeps the load up;

3. Sapim Laser spokes are the best in the industry (12:25). Is this true?

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/faster-cycling/id1368799871
image.png.e82ee56733a114296cf8e213dfd62fb7.png

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

The full podcast is a 15-min listen; less if you skip the analogy to concrete under stress (start at 7:45 for the wheel-related discussion).

2. A wheel hangs from the upper spokes and doesn’t “stand up” by the lower spikes - again, tension keeps the load up;

Haha i remember "BoringMan" having this discussion on Toyota Cadence many years ago - Oh how the Boringman is missed by many

On 5/8/2023 at 10:46 PM, Scott roy said:

So I recently melted my carbon MTB rim and have therefore got to replace it. I’m going to get the new hoop built onto my current hub and spokes which didn’t get damaged, I am however wondering where to do this now. Cycle lab have built me two wheel sets that were incorrectly built and one even had two loose spokes so I do not want to go to them, I’d rather go to an expert. Any recommendations for someone good in Pretoria and what would it cost roughly? 

thanks 

I know a guy.

43 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Haha i remember "BoringMan" having this discussion on Toyota Cadence many years ago - Oh how the Boringman is missed by many

The worlds greatest wheelbuilder who hasn’t managed to build one single decent enduring wheelset.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

I used to mistakingly think it stood on the bottom spokes, but after seeing "shoelace" spokes in action it makes sense to me that it hangs from the top spokes.

** did not listen to podcast **

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp said:

The worlds greatest wheelbuilder who hasn’t managed to build one single decent enduring wheelset.

I miss the old days ~ Trip back to childhood nostalgia - YouTube

23 hours ago, madmarc said:

I just knew that was fighting torque 🙃. I who wonder who Boring Man is terrorising these days; the wheel and chain expert.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:23 PM, gemmerbal said:

Rapide in Jozi. I had my American Classic wheels rebuilt by Wayne for R1400 which included shipping back to CT. It was cheaper to send my wheels from CT and have him rebuild, and theres nothing wrong with Wayne’s products. I’ve bought 2 MTB wheelsets from him with zero issues and the roadbike is now sorted with the new spokes and nipples.

*I had to have my American Classics Victory wheels rebuilt after the original aluminium nipples broke and I couldn’t tension the wheels. Sad to say I lost the 3,5mm bladed spokes in the process, Wayne installed his Alpina Bladed spokes. Very happy with the outcome. 

I believe he's moved to Cape Town.

Sorry for me.

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

I just knew that was fighting torque 🙃. I who wonder who Boring Man is terrorising these days; the wheel and chain expert.

The man didn’t believe in this tool.

Made for much entertainment and serious cost implications to hubbers and none hubbers alike.

IMG_2507.jpeg