MTB Front / Rear tyre combinations

GavS

So hardpack

-  Modders

- Lanseria surrounds

- Van Gaalens

- Sani2c 

Conti  x-King or race king  ?   2.2 or 2.4 ?  

Neither, but definitely 2.4 over 2.2 due to the additional grip and lower pressure you can run it at (which is always better)

If you're lus for Conti, Mountain King 2.4. Especially given you're looking at FG and Sani. I say again - do not skimp on front end grip. It has next to no impact on rolling resistance (that's a consideration for the back) and the weight differences are marginal, and rendered moot in light of the extra grip you get. 

If you were ONLY riding hardpack, then the story would be different. But as soon as you bring varying terrain into the equation, then those xc tyres just fly the white flag. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither, but definitely 2.4 over 2.2 due to the additional grip and lower pressure you can run it at (which is always better)

If you're lus for Conti, Mountain King 2.4. Especially given you're looking at FG and Sani. I say again - do not skimp on front end grip. It has next to no impact on rolling resistance (that's a consideration for the back) and the weight differences are marginal, and rendered moot in light of the extra grip you get. 

If you were ONLY riding hardpack, then the story would be different. But as soon as you bring varying terrain into the equation, then those xc tyres just fly the white flag. 

Ok got that wrong ;-)

I have a have MK 2.4 on front and it works a charm

Current Rear x-king 2.4 starting to show wear ,

so starting to looking around so can back order teh right one if need be and not make choice on stock availability

Better rolling resistance is attractive ! 

you ALWAYS need uber grip at the front :P

If you don't find the limits of the tyre, you not pushing hard enough :ph34r: . Yip never seems to be enough grip, but then I think tyre pressure, the angle of the bike/tyre in the corners and weight distribution may have more impact than a VERY grippy tyre.

Just out of interest, my X-king 2.4 and Ardent Race fronts on the Wide Lightnin rims measure around 59mm wide. I think that helps a bit.

Ok got that wrong ;-)

I have a have MK 2.4 on front and it works a charm

Current Rear x-king 2.4 starting to show wear ,

so starting to looking around so can back order teh right one if need be and not make choice on stock availability

Better rolling resistance is attractive ! 

Cool. Then definitely X king - has a slightly tougher sidewall than the Race King from what I understand. And 2.4 cos lower pressure. 

The shape and size of the tread:

Vigilante

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0202/9884/products/Vigilante_close_1024x1024.jpg?v=1461363832

Trailboss

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0202/9884/products/20160401_Trailboss_2.25_Straight_adjusted_1024x1024.png?v=1461361206

I run the same combo :D

Happy as a pig in pooh with this combo...

Trailhead stocked them when i was last there - and ask them to fit the tyres too, as WTB's can be an SOB to get on and off the rim.

GREAT TYRES - you won't be sorry

Not a SOB on the WTB rims ;)

and yet again, Winnie found himself surrounded by rumours regarding his sexuality.

Keep it tidy....family show!

Not a SOB on the WTB rims ;)

Yep :thumbup:

WTB = UST standard tubeless rims and tyres

You can't get UST WTB tyres on some of your tubeless ready rims with their higher sidewalls.

Where can i get vigilante 29er and rough idea on pricing

Saw some at the Trailhead shop this morning. Just under R800 p/tyre