MTB Front / Rear tyre combinations

GavS

Hi everyone,

Im looking to put new tyres on my bike and would like some advice on combinations

im looking at either:

Front: Mountain King Protection 2.4"

Rear: X-King Protection 2.2"

or 

Front: X-King Protection 2.4"

Rear: RaceKing Protection 2.2"

I currently ride crossmarks front/back and racekings front/back on my other bikes and am looking for more grip in the corners.

I know the second option will roll faster, im just curious which is the best option in terms of weight vs rolling resistance vs grip

i dont do heavy technical rocky areas and tend to stick to the locals trails i.e Modder, Big red barn, Thaba, Northern farms etc but i would like i do also want to start with stage races so i need to consider that option too.

Im not bound to continental, it is just what i know so im also open to opinions and suggestions.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many tire threads already, but, here is my combination:

- front 2.25 maxxis ardent lust

- rear 2.2 conti mountain king protection

Yes I know, it is a weird combination but somehow it works for me. The mountain king used to be in front with a race king at the back but that was ***.

I used to be an avid Continental fan and rode all of those. For the type of riding you do the second option would be fine. After several sidewall cuts on several (fairly) new tyres, I no longer ride Continental though....

I use Arisun Mount Graham (after a review here on Bikehub) and haven't had any issues in a little over a year. Their grip is between the X and Race Kings, but they've got Momsen branding all over - which I don't mind on the VIPA, but it does make them a little brand specific. 

Hi everyone,

Im looking to put new tyres on my bike and would like some advice on combinations

im looking at either:

Front: Mountain King Protection 2.4"

Rear: X-King Protection 2.2"

or 

Front: X-King Protection 2.4"

Rear: RaceKing Protection 2.2"

I currently ride crossmarks front/back and racekings front/back on my other bikes and am looking for more grip in the corners.

I know the second option will roll faster, im just curious which is the best option in terms of weight vs rolling resistance vs grip

i dont do heavy technical rocky areas and tend to stick to the locals trails i.e Modder, Big red barn, Thaba, Northern farms etc but i would like i do also want to start with stage races so i need to consider that option too.

Im not bound to continental, it is just what i know so im also open to opinions and suggestions.

Put these on and have fluffy sidewalls in a month.

Ive had my fun with them and now only use Spez tyres, probably the best bang for buck you can get in terms of value and durability.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 

Front: Mountain King Protection 2.4"

Rear: X-King Protection 2.4"

I am 6'3" and +/- 100kg 

They have being bullet proof so far and done over 2000Km odd 

Rear is currently showing some wear due to twice a week road work

I was happy to take the weight penalty for a fit and forget 

Considering ordering a a 2.2 back to have as a ready replacement but staying with the all rounder of  Race King Protection 

Fit and forget , only had one puncture and that was a serious rusted 3 inch nail 

I have 

Front: Mountain King Protection 2.4"

Rear: X-King Protection 2.4"

I am 6'3" and +/- 100kg 

They have being bullet proof so far and done over 2000Km odd 

Rear is currently showing some wear due to twice a week road work

I was happy to take the weight penalty for a fit and forget 

Considering ordering a a 2.2 back to have as a ready replacement but staying with the all rounder of  Race King Protection 

Fit and forget , only had one puncture and that was a serious rusted 3 inch nail 

if you have an MTB, do not TOUCH the 2.2. It's narrower than... okay, I'll get banned for that comparison. 

Conti 2.2's are farking narrow. 

about to fit 

Front : Conti X-king 2.4 non protection

Back : Mountain King 2.2 non protection

not sure how it'll go :whistling:

about to fit 

Front : Conti X-king 2.4 non protection

Back : Mountain King 2.2 non protection

not sure how it'll go :whistling:

badly, unless you ride solely farm roads and use DH level tubes. They're that weepy and floppy. 

And WHY OH WHY is the X-King going at the FRONT!? Should be the other way around. MK 2.4 at front and XKing 2.2 at rear. 

badly, unless you ride solely farm roads and use DH level tubes. They're that weepy and floppy. 

And WHY OH WHY is the X-King going at the FRONT!? Should be the other way around. MK 2.4 at front and XKing 2.2 at rear.

Xking in the rear for speed and MK in the front for grip

Option 1 would be better as an all round option, though I wouldn't do conti.

Onza ibex and canis combo gets my vote...

+1 I got the exact same setup and its flawless  (2.4 front and back)

Put these on and have fluffy sidewalls in a month.

Ive had my fun with them and now only use Spez tyres, probably the best bang for buck you can get in terms of value and durability.

I Agree With "Little White thorn" :ph34r:

I have been running the following on my Rigid Niner and had no issues.

Front: Spez Ground Control 2.3  (Control: slightly thicker durable sidewalls than the Sworks, but less than the GRID)

Rear: Spez Fast Trak 2.25 (Control)

Done 1,400km on them and only the back is now needing replacement. (Too many skiddies)

I have just bought a Spez Slaughter GRID 2.4 to replace the Fast trak just to test it out. (not fitted yet)

But at R500-R600 definitely best bang for buck.

Only my Pasco I'm running:

Front: WTB Vigilante 2.3

Rear: WTB Trailboss 2.4 

Buts that's a different game all together.

I Agree With "Little White thorn" :ph34r:

I have been running the following on my Rigid Niner and had no issues.

Front: Spez Ground Control 2.3 (Control: slightly thicker durable sidewalls than the Sworks, but less than the GRID)

Rear: Spez Fast Trak 2.25 (Control)

Done 1,400km on them and only the back is now needing replacement. (Too many skiddies)

I have just bought a Spez Slaughter GRID 2.4 to replace the Fast trak just to test it out. (not fitted yet)

But at R500-R600 definitely best bang for buck.

Only my Pasco I'm running:

Front: WTB Vigilante 2.3

Rear: WTB Trailboss 2.4

Buts that's a different game all together.

I might be missing something but wouldn't it be better to have the 2.3 on the back and the 2.4 on the front ? Edited by kk6gan