MTB Front / Rear tyre combinations

GavS

thanks! Did bit of research and seems WTB tyres not suited to good for Stan Arch rims.

Going ibex 2.4

That's a load of rubbish my Wtb tires fitted with no issues on Arches and then my Flows.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my previous wheelset I used to ran MAXXIS Crossmark 2.1 front and rear. Had no issues with the combination where I do my training rides (mostly farm roads and gravel roads due to lack of trails), but as soon as I went riding anywhere that grip was required, they did not hold-up well.

I am now on a different wheelset (Stan’s Arch EX) with GAEX Saguaro 2.2 front and rear (got them with the wheels).  I have not done a lot of riding on them yet so can’t comment.  Although the GAEX Saguaro 2.2 still have good thread left, I am not sure how old the tyres are and if that has an impact on tyre performance at all.  Tyres also have small cuts and had a couple of nice “duwweltjies” in them yesterday (luckily the sealant sorted them out).

I am not sure if I should use the GAEX Saguaro 2.2 combo for Sani2C or upgrade and what will the best combination be (it will be my first one)?

Vittoria

Barzo 2.25 up front - super grippy

Saguaro 2.2 at the back - nice grip on loose, rocky terrain as well as fast rolling on hardpack

I have been riding them for the last 800 or so km with no issues. I had two self-sealing punctures on the Barzo. One on tar (glass) and one on some rather rocky ST, and both times they sealed up quickly without deflating the tyre, allowing me to continue riding without having to stop and check whether the tyre needs plugging.

Vittoria gets my vote for the next round as well.

+1 on this setup....  :clap:

Exactly my setup as well... Mine also done round about 800km without any issues.  :thumbup:

On my previous wheelset I used to ran MAXXIS Crossmark 2.1 front and rear. Had no issues with the combination where I do my training rides (mostly farm roads and gravel roads due to lack of trails), but as soon as I went riding anywhere that grip was required, they did not hold-up well.

I am now on a different wheelset (Stan’s Arch EX) with GAEX Saguaro 2.2 front and rear (got them with the wheels).  I have not done a lot of riding on them yet so can’t comment.  Although the GAEX Saguaro 2.2 still have good thread left, I am not sure how old the tyres are and if that has an impact on tyre performance at all.  Tyres also have small cuts and had a couple of nice “duwweltjies” in them yesterday (luckily the sealant sorted them out).

I am not sure if I should use the GAEX Saguaro 2.2 combo for Sani2C or upgrade and what will the best combination be (it will be my first one)?

Maxxis Crossmark are simpy put pretty rubbish in terms of grip. I had them front and back prior to running Vittoria, and they were rather dodgy on trails and loose terrain. The Vittoria Barzo (f) and Saguaro (b) combo is good for grip and fast rolling.

Got this as a friend for my crossmark :)

Impulse shopping, OH needed a new chain

Not a combo mentioned but something gripper up front, and widerattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I'm in love with this tyre... First ride this morning ..nothing gnarly by any means but so forgiving in the corners, can really lean the bike into the turns and it doesn't feel like it's gonna wipe out. The one fast single track section, my OH says he's never seen me come out with such a smile - ❤❤❤❤

Told you so :)

I seriously don't know why more people don't spec this type of tyre. The benefits are immense

What tyres are these, trying to see the name but it's rather difficult.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Wtb vigilante

WTB Vigi, but you could swap that for any of the below mentioned tyres, plus a few more:

Schwalbe Magic Mary

Maxxis Minion DHF

Maxxis Shorty

Spaz Butcher / Purgatory

Onza Ibex / Citius

Continental Der Kaiser

Nice one Uni.

We sell a lot of them. I've tried a number of front trail tyres but the Vigilante will always be my choice.