Open letter by Vents regarding disc brakes **Graphic photos**

gummibear

Disagree,

Risks are there. Those that are visible and where there are already injuries or deaths should be addressed immediately. the motorbike issue will be addressed but it'll take a bit of time to formulate a solution.

there are necessary risks associated with racing everyday and then there are unnecessary risks.

Disc brakes are an unnecessary risk as they do not add to the racing, or the spectacle. Motorcycle borne camera on the other hand are the source of the communication of the action that is essential to bringing a race to a broader audience.

On the local scene water bottles are more dangerous than wide handle bars and disc brakes - roadies should ride with camel backs, but due to the blingking, weight weeny, and wind tunnel syndrome there's this tendency to pick on other factors which are not to their liking - I'm sure to be roasted for this - but true story

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the local scene water bottles are more dangerous than wide handle bars and disc brakes - roadies should ride with camel backs, but due to the blingking, weight weeny, and wind tunnel syndrome there's this tendency to pick on other factors which are not to their liking - I'm sure to be roasted for this - but true story

You're kidding 'raait 

CV9j89YWoAEcl0H.jpg

Agreed, I was nearly cut in half by a water bottle the flew past me like a ninja  :ph34r:

Agreed, I was nearly cut in half by a water bottle the flew past me like a ninja  :ph34r:

Ya, you swerved and took out five other riders. I was there. 

Anybody who says a roadie should use a camelbak should be stoned like that priest in Life of Brian!

Disagree,

Risks are there. Those that are visible and where there are already injuries or deaths should be addressed immediately. the motorbike issue will be addressed but it'll take a bit of time to formulate a solution.

there are necessary risks associated with racing everyday and then there are unnecessary risks.

Disc brakes are an unnecessary risk as they do not add to the racing, or the spectacle. Motorcycle borne camera on the other hand are the source of the communication of the action that is essential to bringing a race to a broader audience.

Its about marginal gains, not neccecarily risks. I agree that in 90% of road cycling the gains are negligible, but imagine Sagan rides disc brakes in a 3 rider break-away with some nasty weather above, and some very twisty turns ahead. The other 2 does not have the advantage of braking a bit later due to not being on disc brakes. He pulls out 30 seconds on the 10km descent and wins by 3 seconds after the other 2 try to catch him in the 2 km at the bottom of the mountain to the finish.

The guys riding bikes that were caught napping will be the ones making all the noise right now. The riders with bike sponsors who have this in place, will probably support the disc brakes.

Besides... the bike manufacturers need the competitive cyclist to fall in love with disc brakes. There are too many good quality carbon dura-ace / campy super record bikes out there that wont be replaced anytime soon. ;)

Eddy has spoken!

“They work for [consumers], but in racing I think they’re too dangerous in crashes. If you crash, the brake can be hot, and if you take it in a leg, you can slice a tendon. In mountain bikes and cyclocross, it’s OK. But in a peloton, with 200 riders, I think it’s dangerous.” — Eddy Merckx on disc brakes

Anybody who says a roadie should use a camelbak should be stoned like that priest in Life of Brian!

I use one cos I am too scared to ride with bottles... And I love Life of Brian. Not sure in which way I should be offended by your prejudice. Prejudean!!!

I use one cos I am too scared to ride with bottles... And I love Life of Brian. Not sure in which way I should be offended by your prejudice. Prejudean!!!

but you are not a roadie .. you ride mtn bikes ... AND road bikes ... you are a crossbreed ... :clap:

Or burnt like the witch in Holy Grail....

Archived