Broken Collarbone

wepat

Hi Hubbers,

had a big crash yesterday and will see surgeon today, emergency nurse and Dr confirmed a bad break which will require screws and a plate. Anybody else had this experience as to how long before I can ride my favourite MTB trails again. 

Thanks

Broken Rider/Trail junky

Hi Hubbers,

had a big crash yesterday and will see surgeon today, emergency nurse and Dr confirmed a bad break which will require screws and a plate. Anybody else had this experience as to how long before I can ride my favourite MTB trails again. 

Thanks

Broken Rider/Trail junky

good luck, wepat. Its the most common break, and there are loads of fellas here who have had it done (plated as well)

AFAIK it takes between 4 to 6 weeks to heal sufficiently to allow MTB riding, but not sure how long it'lll be before you can hit bigger stuff... 

Heal up, man. Where did it happen, and how?

good luck, wepat. Its the most common break, and there are loads of fellas here who have had it done (plated as well)

AFAIK it takes between 4 to 6 weeks to heal sufficiently to allow MTB riding, but not sure how long it'lll be before you can hit bigger stuff... 

Heal up, man. Where did it happen, and how?

on the greenbelts on a fast flat section was being a good MTB rider and saw a dog walker, decided to move across between two grooved paths and middle mannetjie, was going30-40km tyre caught edge of wet grass, and then BOOM onto shoulder. I knew it was a problem when I could feel and hear the bones rubbing against each other.I must say a few riders stopped asked if I was ok and one guy kindly straightened my bars. 

Hi wepat,

heal up soon bud. there is some good content re. this specific procedure/injury. do a topic search and all shall be revealed.

good luck.

Welcome to the club! It's a right of passage ????

I was back on the IDT in 7 days, road bike by week 4 or so, racing by 6 weeks later.

Struggled with MTB for sometime still, not painful, but uncomfortable and nervous to be honest. A crash before it has healed up wouldn't be pleasant.

on the greenbelts on a fast flat section was being a good MTB rider and saw a dog walker, decided to move across between two grooved paths and middle mannetjie, was going30-40km tyre caught edge of wet grass, and then BOOM onto shoulder. I knew it was a problem when I could feel and hear the bones rubbing against each other.I must say a few riders stopped asked if I was ok and one guy kindly straightened my bars. 

:eek:

My sympathies

I broke mine on 22 December 2015.

Luckily no surgery was required.

I waited six weeks before I got back onto my bike as I also had some broken bones on my spine.

I rode my road bike for the 1st month as so to minimise the jarring and I hate an indoor trainer. 

Then I rode my MTB on golf paths, gravel roads and less technical trails for another month and for past two weeks being back to normal trails. I don't do downhill type riding.

I have had no experience with plates and pins type of injury.

Edited by I FLY

my docktor said I could put in a plate and ride again in two weeks or heal naturally and ride in 8 weeks , took the natural way cause I don't like the idea of plates and skrews 

After 8 weeks I was jumping and doing all the normal stupid sh#t i always did before no problems at all.

I do however not not everyone has a choice and sometimes it is the only way to go.

But I can now hear weird noises from my shoulder when sleeping

Good luck 

Well thank goodness sanity prevailed and one guy checked to see if the bike was okay. Give that man a Bells.

Clavicle was plated a few years ago. Op on Friday, on IDT in 8 days, on road 7 days later. But felt every bump for a few weeks. Skipped MTB for 6 months. Beauty of plating a clavicle is you get full movement back almost immediately.  Doing nothing is cheaper but very slow and doubtful full movement will ever return.

Next shoulder crash was quite a bit worse. Other clavicle, scapula and glenoid. Lots of plates and screws.

post-35786-0-05207800-1460971961_thumb.jpg

Did nothing for 6 weeks, on IDT after that but severely limited and it's been 2 weeks, I reckon at least another 8 weeks before I'll risk venturing outside.

Know a great surgeon if you need a name.

welcome to the club...heal up soon man.

I think go the natural way if the docs gives you the option, if will probably mean if few more weeks off the bike vs having it plated but probably better long term.

I broke mine 30 October 2015, split in 3 places and had no choice but to have it plated. Almost 6 months later and I still have A LOT of discomfort which I think is due to the plate. going to opt to have the plate removed once I get the go ahead.

Had the same issue a couple years back eating tar when still was Longboarding, plate and screws worked well, don't even realise they are there anymore. You'll be out for approx 2 months. Don't try do too much too soon as it will put you back for longer. Heal up well man, at least you'll get really good at doing everything one handed

Clavicle was plated a few years ago. Op on Friday, on IDT in 8 days, on road 7 days later. But felt every bump for a few weeks. Skipped MTB for 6 months. Beauty of plating a clavicle is you get full movement back almost immediately.  Doing nothing is cheaper but very slow and doubtful full movement will ever return.

Next shoulder crash was quite a bit worse. Other clavicle, scapula and glenoid. Lots of plates and screws.

attachicon.gifBOOTH,ROB R.Ser4.Img1.jpg

Did nothing for 6 weeks, on IDT after that but severely limited and it's been 2 weeks, I reckon at least another 8 weeks before I'll risk venturing outside.

Know a great surgeon if you need a name.

All the best with the recovery carbon29er. On the lighter side, your x-ray looks like a dual suspension frame now  ;)

Edited by Billaridoo

Broke mine on the 6 March in a crash at the Argus, had the operation to insert plate and screws on the 10th, started doing 5km walks on the 11th, was on the wattbike at the gym on the 13th.

Had a checkup with the surgeon on the 20th March, said all was fine and advised that could run on the treadmill, so was back training 10 days after the operation (just advised if there was pain to take it easy, there wasn't), did my first road ride 3 weeks after and a road race (Emperor's Classic) a month after the operation. Although avoided the big groups as did not fancy another crash 

This afternoon I go for the final checkup with the surgeon, expecting the all clear to be able to start swimming again. So will roughly be 5 weeks after operation.

As Carbon29er says, you will have very little pain and almost full movement (well I did)

Heal quick and physio as soon as you can.