Chaoyang tyres?

Cannonized

Endurance test is going pretty well, had these for 3 months now and clocked up 2500km. About 20% tarmac and 80% off road. I recon they should be good for 5000km, maybe more. My record is Maxxis Crossmarks that lasted 5,000km at the back and 10,000km on the front.

Hornet on the front

post-38519-0-92256300-1477814941_thumb.jpg

Zippering at the back

post-38519-0-96248400-1477814965_thumb.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyres are brilliant  and their road tyres aswell. I often laugh at guys who spend 800-1000 ZA Ront on brand name tyres to puncture often. these are very robust and very strong in terms of being bullet proof.

Endurance test is going pretty well, had these for 3 months now and clocked up 2500km. About 20% tarmac and 80% off road. I recon they should be good for 5000km, maybe more. My record is Maxxis Crossmarks that lasted 5,000km at the back and 10,000km on the front.

Hornet on the front

attachicon.gifsIMG_20161029_173327052.jpg

Zippering at the back

attachicon.gifsIMG_20161029_173341176.jpg

That rear tyre is practically end-of-life. The front isn't too far off either.

Erm, no. Far from it. I consider this to be almost end-of-life : https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/111615-29er-tyres/?p=2865884 

We clearly have very different ideas in this regard. Nevertheless, be sure to check back once those tyres are completely vrot.

By the way the rubber is breaking off in chunks, I assume it is a very hard compound.

Edited by Odinson

This is a vrot tyre. It might still work as a tyre since it is keeping the air inside and allowing me to ride around on it, but the grip level is not really as it used to be. When a tyre looks like this I tend to replace it.

post-38519-0-81423200-1513839280_thumb.jpg

The ones I have on my bike now is still practically new compared to this. 

Edited by Rouxenator

This is a vrot tyre. It might still work as a tyre since it is keeping the air inside and allowing me to ride around on it, but the grip level is not really as it used to be. When a tyre looks like this I tend to replace it.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/rouxenator/Random/2.jpg

that still has something resembling side knobs .... so good to go tchjina for another 6000Km

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/rouxenator/Random/2.jpg

I am with Hairy on this one - brilliant sand tyre, as well as for practicing slides on hard pack

• 1 month later...

I have the Chaoyang Hornet. I've done about 1000km's on them. Easily gets punctured, sealant does its job luckily. One of my tires deformed, now its wobbling. Lbs is gonna replace it hopefully. Front tyre's tread is drastically lower than rear. It has a very high rolling resistance.

I'm nearing 4000km. Had plenty of punctures this weekend of the Brandvlei Cellars MTB ride, but all of them sealed. Pulled out some mean looking thorns at home and these too did seal. Still going strong.

About the wobble issue, my front Hornet had a wobble since the day I got it. No issue really.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up some viper Road tyres today.

Been wanting a lighter, folding tyre to replace my gatorskins on the roadie.

25c viper is not as wife as 25c gator. Side walls of the viper are thin and supple, and the tread section seems much thicker than the gators too. Fit well, look quite nice. Will ride them and give feedback.

Only really ridden on gatorskins and conti grand prixs so not all that much exposure to other folding tyres. But I cannot bring myself to paying close to 2k for a set of gp4000. I'm hoping for some good results!

• 1 month later...

Any feedback on those Viper tyres DragoRosso. Also need to get new tyres and just can't see myself spending so much cash if theirs a cheaper option.