The Upgrade Bug

popcorn_skollie

Makes a whole new algorithm out of the how many bikes you need sum! Bikes= n+1 where n = how many bikes you currently have unless you have a spare 50mm stem, then n=n+1+s( times however many spare stems you have) The possibilities are endless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said with tongue squarely in cheek on the upgrade tread - my experience with my triumph spitfire is exactly what you said re 40 yo vehicle not a good daily ride. I am learning a lot about getting and keeping that car running...

Oh, I have the ability to keep it running, that's not a problem. It's the scouring scrapyards and gumtree for that upper control arm or hub assembly that I'm worried about... And the amount of people who are catering for that market, with the requisite skills and knowledge, is in rapid decline

Oh, I have the ability to keep it running, that's not a problem. It's the scouring scrapyards and gumtree for that upper control arm or hub assembly that I'm worried about... And the amount of people who are catering for that market, with the requisite skills and knowledge, is in rapid decline

That's part of what it's about though....

It's a symptom of the modern era. We've been conditioned to spend on stuff under the guise of making us happy. A new phone every year or two. New sneakers every 3 months. A new car every 2 or 3 years.

It's not the gear that makes you happy. It's being outdoors and riding is what makes you really happy.

That being said I'm a month or so closer to buying a new group set for my two year old bike. Damn it it man :)

It's a symptom of the modern era. We've been conditioned to spend on stuff under the guise of making us happy. A new phone every year or two. New sneakers every 3 months. A new car every 2 or 3 years.

It's not the gear that makes you happy. It's being outdoors and riding is what makes you really happy.

That being said I'm a month or so closer to buying a new group set for my two year old bike. Damn it it man :)

......pppfffft....can't remember the last time I wore shoes to work, slops don't count as I only wear then to the office and not in the office. ....ok, cycling shoes are worn, but only to and out from the office on the bike :P

Its about priorities. Don`t spend on things that do not really make you happy. Maybe we should count ourselves lucky to be able to spend money on something that actually do make us happy!

Its about priorities. Don`t spend on things that do not really make you happy. Maybe we should count ourselves lucky to be able to spend money on something that actually do make us happy!

Lets talk about spending on things that make you happy. Its seems like it seen as a sin by some people. Why does everyone think that spending on things doesn't make you happy?

That is BS.

I work hard and enjoy spending the gains of my hard labour on all sorts of things. I am lucky in that i can afford more than most but that is also a sacrifice I make in terms of the work I do. And i don't have kids so no guilt there.

So riding - like today, on the spruit is great.

But riding with a new fork i got 10 day ago that makes the bike work brilliantly is sublime. Smiles and grins from ear to ear. Cost me a bit - but i got a good comm check.

You have t pay the man as they say.

So how does getting myself a new fork not equal a lot of happiness?

There is nothing wrong with buying yourself or anyone else things. Especially if you worked hard towards it and planned the purchase carefully.

I ride past the guys doing Yoga in the botanical gardens regularly. I am sure that they see my past time as crazy but i would go nuts sitting there meditating for an hour.

Takes all shapes and sizes to make a world.

I get a real kick and satisfaction out of creating bikes from spares in the garage. I probably spend far too much time and money on it. But it's my creative outlet. They are planned and executed in a lot of detail and I can tell you the way I acquired many of the parts on the bikes.

My 2 cents worth

You started well

Like the Oracle from The Matrix ????

And then...

The Matrix had you ????

This whole thread started with a 50mm stem. Pls post a darn pic of said stem on bike. I am dying to see it man

This whole thread started with a 50mm stem. Pls post a darn pic of said stem on bike. I am dying to see it man

http://i.imgur.com/MQMxWkH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8ppAv89.jpg http://i.imgur.com/UKMIW6U.jpg

The pics are the exact parts I have. But I'll post pics of the build when I'm done. The frame is in pieces in my shed.

The fork is at Stoke waiting on some surgery and the stem is still in my car. 

http://i.imgur.com/MQMxWkH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8ppAv89.jpg http://i.imgur.com/UKMIW6U.jpg

The pics are the exact parts I have. But I'll post pics of the build when I'm done. The frame is in pieces in my shed.

The fork is at Stoke waiting on some surgery and the stem is still in my car. 

I'm still drooling!!!!! :drool:

I don't have this disease. I only replace when broken. Like my drivetrain recently, there was even some cable ties involved for a while before I eventually spent the money. And I was only really pushed over the "spend the money" edge because it was so severely stufffed that it messed up my ride with others (and theirs to an extent as well)

I suppose, if i drank less beer, I would have some money for upgrades..

http://i.imgur.com/kFJVH.jpg

Archived