Which indoor trainer to buy??

Henley 1

But first: this forum is the most informative source you can imagine! I needed to know which power meter to buy, and posted this https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/159851-which-power-meter/

Who needs google?

Next question: which low cost IDT that can talk to my laptop and have the laptop talk back to change felt resistance? I would like to “ride” known routes like 94.7, Suikerbosrand, Argus, Alpe d’Huez, etc and also my own local training routes. Ideally the trainer itself should be simplistic to be low cost, though smart enough to utilise whichever power meter on my bike to talk to the laptop. And use my Garmin 910XT as head unit. Can that be done?

Thanx to all you gimmick gurus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a Tacx Vortex Smart!

I bought one, had it for less than a week amd took it back. Used it twice, it stated making this clicking noise. Googled and it seemed like a common problem with the Vortex.

kickr

i was quite set on all sorts of software initially when i bought it to ride routes, ride against mates etc. and that was one of the main reasons i bought it.  ended up just using the normal app where i set wattage and do power / time based intervals while watching tv or listening to music.  still is a great trainer and i love the simplicity of just getting on the bike and setting everything up through the app

But first: this forum is the most informative source you can imagine! I needed to know which power meter to buy, and posted this https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/159851-which-power-meter/

Who needs google?

Next question: which low cost IDT that can talk to my laptop and have the laptop talk back to change felt resistance? I would like to “ride” known routes like 94.7, Suikerbosrand, Argus, Alpe d’Huez, etc and also my own local training routes. Ideally the trainer itself should be simplistic to be low cost, though smart enough to utilise whichever power meter on my bike to talk to the laptop. And use my Garmin 910XT as head unit. Can that be done?

Thanx to all you gimmick gurus

I had a good laugh at the low cost bit for a smart trainer.

Smart i.e change resistance automatically and low cost are mutually exclusive terms.

Having said that I picked up my powerbeam pro for quite a good price and its really changed my training.

None of the "smart" trainers are low cost, but if in your world low cost is r15k or there about then you can find something.

Low cost, cycle ops fluid 2. You can use virtual power, but if you buying a power meter then you just need an ant+ dongle and you will be able to use a laptop with any software. 

It won't control resistance though,  but all you need to do is shift gears like you do on the road and you sorted. R5k for the trainer,  that's low cost for me... 

Not a Tacx Vortex Smart!

I bought one, had it for less than a week amd took it back. Used it twice, it stated making this clicking noise. Googled and it seemed like a common problem with the Vortex.

Too late. Bought mine about 2 weeks ago and already in for repairs. If it breaks again or if I can I will move over to wahoo. My previous Tacx had no problems for 3 years so willing to give it another go

Too late. Bought mine about 2 weeks ago and already in for repairs. If it breaks again or if I can I will move over to wahoo. My previous Tacx had no problems for 3 years so willing to give it another go

Hi

I have a Vortex Smart for almost a year now, absolutely no issues at all.

Regards

Paul

Maybe I got a dot. Thats why I will give it another go.

Edited by Zatek

I had a good laugh at the low cost bit for a smart trainer.

Smart i.e change resistance automatically and low cost are mutually exclusive terms.

Having said that I picked up my powerbeam pro for quite a good price and its really changed my training.

Yep, unfortunately OP, the requirement of adjusting resistance based on feedback from app(also called ergo mode training) means you are playing in the higher bracket. Its like asking for a low cost lambo. But fear not, its a great investment...dont think of it as money wasted but rather the best money you can spend regarding fitness / health / results returns. 

If you want new, I would suggest the wahoo kickr, probably the most functional and futureproof of all the current ergo trainers....a secondhand cyclops powerbeam pro will cost you alot less given they just released a new trainer but it only transmits in either BLE or Ant. Not a trainsmash, but not as future proof as the kickr which supports both comms protocols. Then regarding applications....there are lots of free ones with basic functionality that allows you to spin and adjust the power you sitting at, but its a manual exercise whilst riding...not that its bad, sometimes its nice just to sit and spin at a power number you comfortable at looking at the numbers go up or down...like a wattbike at the gym.

Then you get advanced apps, seems like this is where you want to play in...here are a couple and their respective use cases:

1.Zwift : 3rd person game type feel that really makes IDT a fun thing to do whilst getting fit and strong. Very polished when it comes graphics and interface but not as focused wrt structured training programs. Think playstation for IDT. Loads of fun. Only supports Ant protocols on computer hardware at the moment. You will thus need to buy and additional Ant dongle so that the trainer can communicate with the PC / laptop / macbook. Subscription based payments

2.Virtual training : Slightly more focused with online races...Mixed bag of focus, online racing and virtual training on routes that is already available or that you created yourself using previous ride's GPX files....this will solve the 94.7 simulation you want to do. Some of the routes have video content as well which makes it more stimulating. It also runs on PC, Macbooks, tablets and phones via BLE or Ant Protocols which is very lekkers...All rides are sync'd to a could profile or other third party apps like strava / trainingpeaks / social media. Subscription based payments

3.Trainerroad : Probably the most focused with emphasis on structured workouts around your dicipline of choice, whether its roading riding / XCO / XCM / Enduro / Gravity / Tri's / TT's. It follows set base, build, specialty training phases based on your needs with a online diary of what you have done / your current power numbers / stress scores / FTP numbers. Great variety of workouts and plan and you can even create your own powerbased plan. Supports both BLE and Ant protocols on PC, Macbooks, tablets and smart phones(android or IOS)

All three of the above communicate very nicely with your ergo trainer adjusting the brake to simulate an incline on a virtual route or a specific power number you need to maintain in a structured workout allowing you to focus on turning the pedals over and not fiddle with buttons and crap. Wrt the apps, they all fulfill a different need and don't really compete with each other imo....just depends what you want out of your trainer. 

Last piece of advice...stay away tacx trainers.  

i think maybe tomorrow there might be something from CycleOps SA......  :ph34r:

Is it Thor's hammer... :ph34r: