Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

This is where the legs came from for table...another hobby making fishing fishing rod stands [emoji3]

df5036effa9cc64c35ef9967f373e5c9.jpgb9d0bec58a019c6fe42c2c154be1a4ea.jpg79f78cf7ba795d50db60908f3c0523dc.jpg758811cdba7e3eccbb524c94c49b4a70.jpg

How are you cutting those shapes? CNC?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you cutting those shapes? CNC?

I started off with a mdf template which I shaped until I was happy...then I got a metal template laser cut ...to make it perfect and even...then I started mass producing them using a cnc router...I stopped because the quality of plywood available got so bad that it took longer to clean it up and glue than to cut.

Now I am back to making them off the metal template.

I started off with a mdf template which I shaped until I was happy...then I got a metal template laser cut ...to make it perfect and even...then I started mass producing them using a cnc router...I stopped because the quality of plywood available got so bad that it took longer to clean it up and glue than to cut.

Now I am back to making them off the metal template.

I hear you on the plywood quality, it varies from batch to batch, though the local supplier seems to at least be consistent now. We brought ply in from Malawi, got a batch in that was delaminating badly, apparently the quality controller had gone on leave and nobody was doing quality checks. Only in Africa...

I am looking for a supplier of good Baltic Birch Ply here in my area.  We used to have one, but they are no more.

The crap they sell at Builders I wood not even use for a dog box.

Edited by Moridin

I am looking for a supplier of good Baltic Birch Ply here in my area.  We used to have one, but they are no more.

:ninja: 

I have some free time on my hands, so busy cleaning and organzing the workshop a bit. I'm making a router table stand thingy, this is it's handle. Rhodesian Teak inlay in (gah, sies, spoeg uit) pine. I've been wanting to try this for quite some time now, glad I did it with scraps and not in a project. 

post-29544-0-92692000-1464938079_thumb.jpg

post-29544-0-78569000-1464938145_thumb.jpg

Guest notmyname

I have some free time on my hands, so busy cleaning and organzing the workshop a bit. I'm making a router table stand thingy, this is it's handle. Rhodesian Teak inlay in (gah, sies, spoeg uit) pine. I've been wanting to try this for quite some time now, glad I did it with scraps and not in a project.

handle 1.jpg

Handle 2.jpg

Top end trail weapon you got there bud. Insurance must be killing you. ;)

You would be amazed that if you shop around you can find good wood, for not that much more than pine.

I can get European Steamed Beech, 12 planks @ 2400 X 160 X 50 for just over R2000.

Where from?

I don't know if they have, but they're pretty informed and efficient at Chipboard Cafe in Stikland. They have stuff many of the other woodshops don't.

I inherited these babies from my dad: Swedish steel from the 1950s or thereabouts. Fantastic chisels that hold their edge for about a month (and that was working every day).

I got some nicely figured walnut boards for the box; in hindsight I might've made the inside dividers from something other than kiaat, but I just had some thinly-sliced stuff lying around. Of course, the chisels made the box ... 

post-14151-0-12759400-1464974084_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-66459400-1464974098_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-80615200-1464974114_thumb.jpg

I inherited these babies from my dad: Swedish steel from the 1950s or thereabouts. Fantastic chisels that hold their edge for about a month (and that was working every day).

I got some nicely figured walnut boards for the box; in hindsight I might've made the inside dividers from something other than kiaat, but I just had some thinly-sliced stuff lying around. Of course, the chisels made the box ...

Wow...those look great.greAt when tools are shared over generations[emoji106][emoji106]

Is there a place where one can rent time on a machine?  I need to joint some wood, but I don't know if it is worth buying a machine for it.  Looking at the prices just puts me in a depressing mood anyway.  I should have bought one 12 years ago when I bought my tablesaw for R6k.

I don't want to get somebody to do it, because quite frankly, most shop hands don't give as much attention to it than I would.

Also, I could tackle the job with my Stanley No. 7, but these are quite long and will take some sweat and time.

Edited by Moridin

Is there a place where one can rent time on a machine?  I need to joint some wood, but I don't know if it is worth buying a machine for it.  Looking at the prices just puts me in a depressing mood anyway.  I should have bought one 12 years ago when I bought my tablesaw for R6k.

I don't want to get somebody to do it, because quite frankly, most shop hands don't give as much attention to it than I would.

Also, I could tackle the job with my Stanley No. 7, but these are quite long and will take some sweat and time.

You might try Maker Station at 9 Plein Street, Woodstock. Speak to Felix.082 923 8293.

I think there's a similar concept in Hout Bay, but don't know the name or details.

Furntech in Paarden Eiland could do it for you, probably. They have all the commercial machines, but do piece jobs. It's a government training institute. I had to have big kiaat countertops done there and they finished them perfectly (jointed, planed and sanded) in a morning.

The CCDI (Cape Craft and Design Institute) have a machine room but I don't know if they'll have what you need. You also need to be a member, but that doesn't cost anything. Plus you can learn and play on other lekker stuff like 3-d printers.