Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Such a cool feeling when you look at a project coming together and everything you see...you built...right down to covering the chairs...the kiddies bench...the works.

but even better...outlay so far R130 for the genuine fake leather on the bar stools...some glue (5 lt bought directly from the supplier) and a tub of screws...the rest is free pallet wood...the bar counter is from a floor stripped out a house in Durban north...sponge for the bar stools from an old single mattress...i had to buy the 4 nut with caps for the coffee to finish it off...even the s/s tubing are off cuts from a job.

6fc3cffaa5f79fa180d7a96ea8a9e581.jpg15e1dd055a7a80b3c13bda6671fb42e4.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to change the bar stool design because i ran out of old curtain rail.

The pics where taken last night while experimenting with the lighting...gona have 3 options...with 3 switches...really bright 4 ft led lights...down lighters and led strip light for bar area and led tube lighting around the gutter for when just sitting outside chilling.

98b88d01b7094c664561ddf3484ab251.jpg

Edited by isetech

What are you using as undercoat on that MDF?

I am trying to find an appropriate sprayable undercoat - something 2k compatible.

I have used an acrylic top coat as a primer. But lately I use Rustoleum 2x  cans for primer and top coat as I can get a better finish without as much sanding.

I have used an acrylic top coat as a primer. But lately I use Rustoleum 2x  cans for primer and top coat as I can get a better finish without as much sanding.

I have found a catalysed 2k non fill primer that I think will work - just need to get to Marouns to get it.

It's a bit big to consider cans - think it's about 8 sqm of paintable surface.

I Suppose its still woodwork related, made from balsa and Spruce, and it flies.

This was one of the last ones I made, only finished it a few months back, have not flown in a few years, cycling kinda took over and ruined my flying time.

Jeez Bobbo! This takes me back to my youth! My Dad was besotted with aeromodelling. Balsa, elastic bands, doped tissue paper, Baby-bee engines ... I still have a few copies of a book he wrote back in the 80s: Aeromodellers Handbook by Les Netherton. $2.98 on Amazon. Sheesh.

Does anyone have a contact that can get me the following wood in joburg:

Requirements:

-must be a Heavy

-35mm to 50mm thick

-250mm to 300mm wide

-can cut it to lenght for me (about 450/500mm in length x4)

Please :)  

Jeez Bobbo! This takes me back to my youth! My Dad was besotted with aeromodelling. Balsa, elastic bands, doped tissue paper, Baby-bee engines ... I still have a few copies of a book he wrote back in the 80s: Aeromodellers Handbook by Les Netherton. $2.98 on Amazon. Sheesh.

Sold a few over the last 2-3 years since I (read: my wallet) took up cycling, my garage still looks like a hangar, guesstimating still around 15-18 Planes and 3-4 helis hanging in various forms.

My one "favorite" was a model that was built on commission for a company in '82 for aerial photography (the days before drones), they flew it once and realized to get any sort of data from the photos you need to know speed, altitude, focal lengths etc in order to analyse the photos and parked it, I picked it up for a R500 donation to a charity in '08, made some small alterations to make it safer to fly but kept it mostly original.

Largest i built from scratch using marine ply, meranti strips for spars and a mix of balsa / spruce was a 1/3rd scale Super Decathlon = 3.3m Wingspan running a 55cc Twin Petrol motor on it.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Bobbo_SA

Requirements:

-must be a Heavy

-35mm to 50mm thick

-250mm to 300mm wide

Ping @ Stretched@Birth

Top end trail weapon you got there bud. Insurance must be killing you. ;)

It's the wife's treadmill bike .... parked between the dustbin and gas cage, don't think it's seen a pedal in two years.

Requirements:

-must be a Heavy

-35mm to 50mm thick

-250mm to 300mm wide

Maple street Timbers, they in Pomona.

I Suppose its still woodwork related, made from balsa and Spruce, and it flies.

This was one of the last ones I made, only finished it a few months back, have not flown in a few years, cycling kinda took over and ruined my flying time.

I still have an unfinished Piper Cub hanging in my garage.  I guess I have too many hobbies. The symptom of a closet engineer.  Right now it is just cycling with my sons now in their middle teens. Maybe when I retire I can finish my planes and fly with the old farts at the local club and talk about how 80s music was the best.  Right now I entertain myself with my 450 heli.  If it breaks, I just buy new parts.

I still have an unfinished Piper Cub hanging in my garage.  I guess I have too many hobbies. The symptom of a closet engineer.  Right now it is just cycling with my sons now in their middle teens. Maybe when I retire I can finish my planes and fly with the old farts at the local club and talk about how 80s music was the best.  Right now I entertain myself with my 450 heli.  If it breaks, I just buy new parts.

I'll probably be joining you, i have one or 2 that i fly around the back yard in the evenings, still enjoy the build process though, may as well start building another plane again. 

Where from?

Myles, the place is ITM.  BUT, things are not as rosy as it may seem.

Now that I actually want to buy 3 boards, I found out that those are not high yield boards.  I would need to get 3 @ 200mm+ boards to get the 6 @ 2200mm x 70mm x 45mm finally dimensioned boards.  Those lower priced beech boards have got cracks on the ends and bark on the side, as well as a knot or two.  But, at least those boards are very flat and not so roughly sawn.  Any woodworker knows the worst you can get is a board with a twist.

Edited by Moridin

Okay so you're losing 60mm per board effectively. 48 if you allow for the kerf... and then 200mm in length. Hmm. Still, not bad

Edited by Myles Mayhew