Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

On a semi related note, I've often thought about making a DIY track saw, I used a festool one a few years back when installing kitchen tops (Should'e gone granite) and was impressed on how well it worked

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gloating time.  Got a real nice surprise from the boss today. Immediately went out to order a Festool TSS55REBQ track saw and OF1400EBQ-Plus router. With their guide rails included off course.

Wanted this pair-up now for years.  :clap:

I hate you. 

On a semi related note, I've often thought about making a DIY track saw, I used a festool one a few years back when installing kitchen tops (Should'e gone granite) and was impressed on how well it worked

Thing is you need a plunge saw to make it work properly. Plunging a straight up circular saw isn't really a lekker thing to do! 

Unless you're just doing it for end to end cuts.. 

Cape Town living up to its name again, Christmas bonus 7 months late...  :ph34r:

Just kidding, well done, hope you're gonna post more pics of the projects you use it on.

Ja, we get a teaser in December just keep the wolves from the door, and then the actual bonus end of July after the auditors have signed off the company books based on growth.

First job will be rolling carts for the workshop using 18mm Baltic Birch plywood.  I just this week chucked the vrot cupboard I used to have which was an old chipboard made kitchen cupboard.

Edited by Moridin

Ja, we get a teaser in December just keep the wolves from the door, and then the actual bonus end of July after the auditors have signed off the company books based on growth.

First job will be rolling carts for the workshop using 18mm Baltic Birch plywood.  I just this week chucked the vrot cupboard I used to have which was an old chipboard made kitchen cupboard.

I hate you. 

Post pics.

Have I said that I hate you?

So, I have a whole lot of old solid ebony key tops from old pianos that we "recycle"

I have been thinking of making something with them for a while now but I am short on ideas. Whatever it is will have to be laminated as the pieces are very small. Around 10mm x 10mm x 90mm.

Any ideas?

So, I have a whole lot of old solid ebony key tops from old pianos that we "recycle"

I have been thinking of making something with them for a while now but I am short on ideas. Whatever it is will have to be laminated as the pieces are very small. Around 10mm x 10mm x 90mm.

Any ideas?

Keep them somewhere to be used as plugs and other accents for your joinery on fine pieces. Check for reference Greene & Greene style furniture.

16d3801bff7911cad828e8993c51222c.jpg

Edited by Moridin

Keep them somewhere to be used as plugs and other accents for your joinery on fine pieces. Check for reference Greene & Greene style furniture.

Thanks. I will have a look.

Thing is I have hundreds of them. It would be a lot of PT glueing them all together but I thought since I have a lot I could actually make something with them.

Hey guys, I know this is going to show my naivety here,

but can this be right and if so please explain the massive price differences

No. 4 Planner

post-46817-0-74361400-1469186170_thumb.jpg

Ardendorf no name brand special @ R175

Hardware Centre : Stanley @ R3800 & Veritas @ R5275

No. 4 Planner

attachicon.gifWPLANE-004_2.JPG

Nike vs PnP....

Edit, second thoughts, to keep it cycling related.. Pyga vs Spaz...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bobbo_SA

No. 4 Planner

No comparison between crap from India and the Veritas stuff made in the US and Canada.

Any ideas?

The guys that make bobbins for making handmade lace will kill for the ebony. The bobbins are turned on a miniature lathe and each one is a little work of art. They measure about 120 mm in length and 3 - 6 mm in diameter. Ebony turns the absolute best ones. I'll have to go dig and see where the ones are that I made decades ago. If I can find them I'll post pictures.

No. 4 Planner

Rather get an old Stanley and tune it up.

No. 4 Planner

The two big differences would be finish and tolerances.

I can just about guarantee you that the NNB does not have a flat sole, and it would not be smooth. Then on to adjustments - I bought a cheap plane some time ago and couldn't get the blade to line up properly at all. It would either be skew or would not go below the sole etc etc etc. Took out the blade and chucked the rest. Blade got used as a paint scraper.