Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

LOVE going to the greenstone branch, have spent a small fortune there..also live in the area,

At the mugg n bean or hardware store? :D

Funny enough I have never actually bought anything from the mugg n bean there. I was thinking it was a weird thing to do but it always seems to have people sitting there so I guess it makes money.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this guy's work

Yeah me too, been following for a long time.

Such a great approach to getting the job done.

I had my first Leroy Merlin experience a few weeks ago and I was blown away. I really wish that they would open up a branch in Pretoria.

I was also ogling the stack of wood when I was there.

Wish they would ship my stuff I've ordered beginning July already. The item got sold, and now I've to wait for new stock.

Did you go to the Greenstone Branch?

I live a few min away so I am lucky.

Yeah I did. I was looking for a shelving unit and found that they had excellent units, and even more excellent prices. Ended up buying way more stuff than only the shelf when I went.

I was really so impressed. Everything was neatly organised, pricing was clear, the shop was light and bright, the aisles were big, the staff were helpful.

Compared to Builders...

WZxtReH.jpg

So, I made an assembly table, to use as an outfeed table and a building table for my RC models. Top needs to be flat. Usual type of construction. Meranti base using stretchers and cross-braces with 21mm Birch ply top. Only to find the middle sagging by 5mm.  :cursing:

Did not want to use Pine because our Pine these days are so damn wet. The Meranti I used for the strecthers were 69mm by 32mm. Thought that would be strong enough. Never though Meranti had such low bending strength. 

So my solution now is to build a storage bay in the middle using Birch ply to support the middle.

If I think about it now I should have used Spruce for the base. More expensive than Meranti or Pine but cheaper than Beech or other hardwoods. Or would have used much wider strechers. You live and learn.

Oh, BTW, the top is 1m by 2m.

When I first started woodworking my choices were either pine or meranti with meranti being the "hardwood" 

That stuff is horribly soft and its been really bad at holding up to light work without getting damaged.

I will only use it for contrast these days and that is only if nothing else is available.

When I first started woodworking my choices were either pine or meranti with meranti being the "hardwood" 

That stuff is horribly soft and its been really bad at holding up to light work without getting damaged.

I will only use it for contrast these days and that is only if nothing else is available.

Meranti is a collective name for a number of species/sub species form Indo/Philippines.

The wood can vary quite a bit, from light coloured and relatively soft, to dark reddish and hard.

Selection is key, but that being said, I personally just don't like to looks of it. It's fine for trusses/pergolas and outdoor furniture or pieces that'll get painted. 

Yeah I did. I was looking for a shelving unit and found that they had excellent units, and even more excellent prices. Ended up buying way more stuff than only the shelf when I went.

I was really so impressed. Everything was neatly organised, pricing was clear, the shop was light and bright, the aisles were big, the staff were helpful.

Compared to Builders...

WZxtReH.jpg

Did you go down stairs to the drive through? Such a cool idea. Drive your car in empty and drive out with material loaded.

Meranti is a collective name for a number of species/sub species form Indo/Philippines.

The wood can vary quite a bit, from light coloured and relatively soft, to dark reddish and hard.

Selection is key, but that being said, I personally just don't like to looks of it. It's fine for trusses/pergolas and outdoor furniture or pieces that'll get painted. 

Ja. But when you get good meranti, it's wonderful. Some really, really interesting grains and quite easy to work with. 

Did you go to the Greenstone Branch?

I live a few min away so I am lucky.

Greenstone has so much more variety compared to the boksburg branch. I'm walking distance from the boksburg one but I keep feeling disappointed when I go there.

I'm spitting distance from the boksburg builders but I refuse to go there.

Ja. But when you get good meranti, it's wonderful. Some really, really interesting grains and quite easy to work with. 

True, I had a board in my lumber rack that I've kept there for ages, saving it for just the right project. Dark, hard, heavy AF with a nice grain. Think I used some of it for mallet handles. 

True, I had a board in my lumber rack that I've kept there for ages, saving it for just the right project. Dark, hard, heavy AF with a nice grain. Think I used some of it for mallet handles. 

A friend of mine has two 220x35mm beams of meranti, more than 50y old, taken from his cousin's house. one is 3m long, the other 4.8m. Took the white paint off, random orbital at 40grit to get rid of the primer and get them prepped, so we can decide what to do with them. 

Proper, old, strong and well-grained meranti. The way they used to make it. 

My old man had a plank of imbuia that he was saving for something. I dunno what came of it, but I'd love to make something out of it if it's still there in the garage at my mom's place. 

At the mugg n bean or hardware store? :D

Funny enough I have never actually bought anything from the mugg n bean there. I was thinking it was a weird thing to do but it always seems to have people sitting there so I guess it makes money.

Depends.. if alone. No.

if with the wife, we normally get a iced coffee.

A friend of mine has two 220x35mm beams of meranti, more than 50y old, taken from his cousin's house. one is 3m long, the other 4.8m. Took the white paint off, random orbital at 40grit to get rid of the primer and get them prepped, so we can decide what to do with them. 

Proper, old, strong and well-grained meranti. The way they used to make it. 

My old man had a plank of imbuia that he was saving for something. I dunno what came of it, but I'd love to make something out of it if it's still there in the garage at my mom's place. 

My father in law was given a few planks of Imbuia from a golfing mate. The smell when you are turning it is absolutely amazing, I still think its the best smelling wood and it sands to a glass like finish.

My father in law was given a few planks of Imbuia from a golfing mate. The smell when you are turning it is absolutely amazing, I still think its the best smelling wood and it sands to a glass like finish.

only beaten by stinhout for finishing, though that previlage won't be seen again, unless I can find an old dresser in poor state

only beaten by stinhout for finishing, though that previlage won't be seen again, unless I can find an old dresser in poor state

Stinkhout or Imbuia? Both available from Rarewoods.