Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Try and get it welded, or brazed at least if you can't find a competent welder.

Gooi weg.

You will have to machine the base.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gooi weg.

You will have to machine the base.

Yeah you would need somebody who can cast iron weld, then have it clocked up and surface ground. 

I am a soutie....

I know this is waaaay off topic and I apolagise but you have a pretty decent general knowledge from what I can tell. Where does the term Soutie come from? We were talking about it at work the other day and there were a few wild theories, some not suitable for this forum.

I know this is waaaay off topic and I apolagise but you have a pretty decent general knowledge from what I can tell. Where does the term Soutie come from? We were talking about it at work the other day and there were a few wild theories, some not suitable for this forum.

I know you weren't asking me, but...

One leg in the UK, one in SA, dangly bits hanging in the salty ocean - Soutie...

Soutie refers to the derogatory term Soutpiel. That word originated in the 2nd Anglo Boer War due to England's persistance in trying to colonise every nation. They were seen standing with one foot in Africa, the other in England and their dick's/piele hanging in the water, hense Soutpiel and later Soutie. 

Edited by Ed-Zulu

I know you weren't asking me, but...

One leg in the UK, one in SA, dangly bits hanging in the salty ocean - Soutie...

LOL thanks. That was the theory I had heard.

Soutie refers to the derogatory term Soutpiel. That word originated in the 2nd Anglo Boer War due to England's persistance in trying to colonise every nation. They were seen standing with one foot in Africa, the other in England and their dick's/piele hanging in the water, hense Soutpiel and later Soutie. 

So a good many years I go whilst at school I had casual work at a large cinema.

The head usher was a older Afrikaans guy that was hot headed and a bit of a bully. Me being English and younger than him became an instant target....however I don't hold my mouth.

It ended up with a couple of friendly scuffles in the staff room .... so the one day he thinks he is being clever and asks me if I know what and where the term Soutie comes from. I had no idea, so asked him to explain. To his utter joy he explained in exquisite detail the meaning of the slur.

All I could to was explain to him that clearly he felt threatened by the fact that English guys have such large members that they can have a foot in the UK and in SA and then still hang in the ocean.

Needless to say a proper little friendly scuffle ensued this verbal exchange with the bully.

Many years later I saw him again, working as a security guard ... wearing gold rimmed aviator sunglasses and still strutting around like he was spoiling for a fight.

So a good many years I go whilst at school I had casual work at a large cinema.

The head usher was a older Afrikaans guy that was hot headed and a bit of a bully. Me being English and younger than him became an instant target....however I don't hold my mouth.

It ended up with a couple of friendly scuffles in the staff room .... so the one day he thinks he is being clever and asks me if I know what and where the term Soutie comes from. I had no idea, so asked him to explain. To his utter joy he explained in exquisite detail the meaning of the slur.

All I could to was explain to him that clearly he felt threatened by the fact that English guys have such large members that they can have a foot in the UK and in SA and then still hang in the ocean.

Needless to say a proper little friendly scuffle ensued this verbal exchange with the bully.

Many years later I saw him again, working as a security guard ... wearing gold rimmed aviator sunglasses and still strutting around like he was spoiling for a fight.

LOL... best chirp about the Soutie gibe recently is the one where the guy replies, you Afrikaans okes flippen put everything in your mouths!

I recently restored a No 8 plane I picked up a while ago. I had to make a new tote and thus also made a matching knob as well.

It almost make the No 7 look small in comparisson!

I can't believe how much quicker and easier it is to get a big piece of wood flat and square with this compared to grandpa's No 7 - i really did not think it would be such a big difference.

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 1.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 2.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 3.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 4.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 5.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 6.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 7.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 7 en 8 Skaaf.jpg

Before:

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 8.jpg

I just love what you've done here. I have been watching alot of My Mechanics on YT where similar types of restorations are done. The worksmanship in these older tools is just so much more satisfactory than more modern tools.

There is just something special in using older generation tools like planes and hand drills. Ja, it takes longer, but the end result product always looks so much more beautiful.