Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

With the mother-in-law fast aproaching from Aus this week, and me having to oversee a shutdown on site this past weekend, I started feeling the pressure to get the nursery floor done. So  took yesterday (Monday) off work to make noise and sawdust, and got most of the boards fitted. Just the last row left, which will need to be custom sized to make up the gaps.

So much milling, drilling, routing and spacing 😓

image.png.9b71dbbf0ab84403ed60141aebe9f1e2.png

I'm also in 2 minds as to whether I hire a floor sanding machine to get colour consistency, or if I just rely on the larger 3m x 2.4m version of this rug to cover up the patch, and refinish the floor when we do the rest of the house.

image.png.c031a9dbdc5c99745844f6f835609487.png

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, patches said:

I'm also in 2 minds as to whether I hire a floor sanding machine to get colour consistency, or if I just rely on the larger 3m x 2.4m version of this rug to cover up the patch, and refinish the floor when we do the rest of the house.

Ha ha, I did that 25 years ago and my wife is still giving me grief over it. Just hire the sander.

4 hours ago, DJR said:

Ha ha, I did that 25 years ago and my wife is still giving me grief over it. Just hire the sander.

Listen to DJR. Learn from other's mistakes.

I'm throwing rugs over most of my parquet floors. Was supposed to be sanded and refinished before we moved in, Didn't have the cash then, don't have it now, and don't want to move out of my house either to do it all in one go. So sctratched up floors are where we are at. And now with all the moisture in the air, it has started popping up in places. Ek is so effens mismoedig.

But that pales into insignificance when I think about my friends who just finished remodeling their house, only to have it flood last week. 800k damage and they need to move out for a couple of months. 

Never buy a house to live in kids. rather invest it in crypto. less heartache.

14 hours ago, DJR said:

9 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Listen to DJR. Learn from other's mistakes.

I'm throwing rugs over most of my parquet floors. Was supposed to be sanded and refinished before we moved in, Didn't have the cash then, don't have it now, and don't want to move out of my house either to do it all in one go. So sctratched up floors are where we are at. And now with all the moisture in the air, it has started popping up in places. Ek is so effens mismoedig.

But that pales into insignificance when I think about my friends who just finished remodeling their house, only to have it flood last week. 800k damage and they need to move out for a couple of months. 

Never buy a house to live in kids. rather invest it in crypto. less heartache.

Yeah, the wife was keen to get the whole house done pre-baby, but the cost and logistics were horrendous. Apparently one needs to decant their whole house into a container and then move out for a week.

I proposed doing it room-by-room with a rented floor sander (about R800/day), but my idea got vetoed.

So for now we'll live with mis-matched patches, cover-up rugs and oneday (when baby is a bot older and we're back to 2 incomes), we'll go over to Aus for a week to visit the in-laws while our house gets turned upside down.

As for crypto vs houses... I hear ya! Especially old houses. ALWAYS something that needs fixing. "Character" costs!

7 hours ago, patches said:

oneday (when baby is a bot older

hahaha

20 years later, my drive way is still the same crappy uneven paving that i vowed to change when we moved in. There is always something more important that needs the money.

So I bit the bullet and hired a sanding machine... but I was a cheapskate and only hired the edge-sander and not the one big push one. I must say, it's a pretty menacing beast to wrestle, but I got there in the end

image.png.093ea4890714d0074a5a8eae18142fc7.png

Sanded!

image.png.ba2624a9da0650f2b9d8c9d0e23d4739.png

After 2 coats of satin water based poly (specific for flooring), but before the giant "cover all mistakes" rug arrives.

12 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

That looks good, do some more coats.

or... just throw a rug on it, and call it a day, 😅

image.png.184f2477fc8a428ecc21006fd14ee7e4.png

...but yeah, I ran out of flooring poly (and that stuff is spenny), plus the wife and mother-in-law were champing at the bit to decorate, so I left it there... at least until I have to redo the flooring in other rooms.

yeah, did that a few years ago but 3 coats. It came out great and then I saw my friends, fathers work. 6 Coats of poly, many it was and still is like glass.

• 1 month later...

Been a bit preoccupied the last month (with the arrival of the little one), but managed to get some time in the garage on Saturday to work on this...

Flip-Top Table Saw & Planer Cart

image.png.8b8ba0407d320048ecdf1e2b91cddf4c.png

image.png.e74f8b438f69e3e3f2b65401f0bdb92a.png

Don't know if it's a good idea or not, but figured it may save some space in my tiny garage.

Still a work in progress, need to add some bracing to prevent side-to-side racking. Also need to make another handle for the planer height adjustment wheel (current one sticks out), oh and as you can see the planer blade replacement tool falls out the top when the planer tips up-side down.

But flip-or-flop, either way it was good to make some noise and sawdust again.

Edited by patches

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 11:50 PM, patches said:

Been a bit preoccupied the last month (with the arrival of the little one), but managed to get some time in the garage on Saturday to work on this...

Flip-Top Table Saw & Planer Cart

image.png.8b8ba0407d320048ecdf1e2b91cddf4c.png

image.png.e74f8b438f69e3e3f2b65401f0bdb92a.png

Don't know if it's a good idea or not, but figured it may save some space in my tiny garage.

Still a work in progress, need to add some bracing to prevent side-to-side racking. Also need to make another handle for the planer height adjustment wheel (current one sticks out), oh and as you can see the planer blade replacement tool falls out the top when the planer tips up-side down.

But flip-or-flop, either way it was good to make some noise and sawdust again.

It's a great space saver and for a small garage like u\yours a good idea too.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one know where i can get a  blade setting tool
I bought a secondhand  Ryobi Thicknesser but did not get the tool

or someone in Somerset west willing to  let me borrow one

s-l400.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I am by no means a wood work fundi. I would like to ask what sander/machinery do I need to make these? I have many protea seed heads after cleaning off seeds. They need to be sanded on the upper and lower surfaces to thin them out and also to shape around the edges. They are about 6cm wide. I would appreciate any advice before I buy. Thank you so much

Screenshot_20231016-192656_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, blondeonabike said:

Hello everyone. I am by no means a wood work fundi. I would like to ask what sander/machinery do I need to make these? I have many protea seed heads after cleaning off seeds. They need to be sanded on the upper and lower surfaces to thin them out and also to shape around the edges. They are about 6cm wide. I would appreciate any advice before I buy. Thank you so much

The general rule is:

"If  the work piece is small, take it to the tool. If the work piece is large, take the tool to it".

Something like a bench-top belt sander should do the trick.

Ryobi 370W Belt And Disc Sander - Bunnings New Zealand

Or at a pinch one could even turn a random orbital sander upside down, maybe with a simple jig to support. The downside will be that the RO sander won't be as effective in keeping the sides flat.

Orbital Sander Holder - YouTube

I wouldn't recommend the same with a handheld belt sander, unless you're trying to remove your fingerprints for whatever reason 😅. They're a bit to viscous for fine work.

19 hours ago, blondeonabike said:

15 hours ago, patches said:

The general rule is:

"If  the work piece is small, take it to the tool. If the work piece is large, take the tool to it".

Something like a bench-top belt sander should do the trick.

Ryobi 370W Belt And Disc Sander - Bunnings New Zealand

Or at a pinch one could even turn a random orbital sander upside down, maybe with a simple jig to support. The downside will be that the RO sander won't be as effective in keeping the sides flat.

Orbital Sander Holder - YouTube

I wouldn't recommend the same with a handheld belt sander, unless you're trying to remove your fingerprints for whatever reason 😅. They're a bit to viscous for fine work.

I'm not sure how hard the seedheads are, but I'd imagine that they are fairly soft.  With that bench sander, you're likely to also loose fingerprints and cause much frustration as the it runs fairly fast and the workpieces look fairly delicate.  I'd go the manual route, stick some sheets in varying grits to a flat piece of board and manually sand.