Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Bit of both, really. I really do love this job of mine :) Things are just a little tight - my laser-dude has machine issues (again) paint mixers are screwing up all the time (third time they have to remix paint due to wrong colour), broke a couple of band saw blades ... but it's going very well right now. I'm still selling guns at flea markets over the weekends as well, but I'll be burning through my last little bit of stock this weekend - haven't had time to make more for the markets. Nice problem to have.

My new appy is also shaping up very well.

I've put in an offer on a new house, now just need to sell mine. New place has a (slightly) bigger workshop as well as a separate office ... sorely needed right now. Also enough room inside the house for everyone and the dogs.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a bigger home also, but around here I am stuffed.  The market is crazy right now with the invasion of gatvol vaalies. And they all like to stay at the sea when they arrive. That is until the South Easter decides to explain to them why Strand and Gordons Bay property prices are much lower than Somerset West proper and Stellenbosch.

Edited by Moridin

BTW, why the f do kitchen installers insist on using chipboard for toe kicks. My cupboards live a hard life with kids around for the past 10 years and the toe kicks have swelling and the oak veneer is peeling off as a result. Lekker moering ekke.

Guy I know installed white masonite as toe kicks. Yah well no fine. He's the same guy that's been building platform beds with crating pine (for those not in the know, crating pine is 'wet off saw', so it hasn't been dried properly. It goes twisty-cuppy-warpy in a heartbeat) Thank goodness he discovered melamine a few weeks ago - he's now making bed frames out of that. Selling a ton as well. 

I'm not an expert, but I think it is Nova. A friend wants to get rid of it and I'm trying to assist him.

broke a couple of band saw blades ... but it's going very well right now.

I was also breaking band saw blades...they break on the weld when trying to cut sharp corners...I setup a big router with a 16 mm template guide...8 or 10 mm bit...made a template slightly bigger and cut out a few steps and the finish is cleaner.

Just be very careful when going against the grain...it can smash the project.

Edited by isetech

I was also breaking band saw blades...they break on the weld when trying to cut sharp corners...I setup a big router with a 16 mm template guide...8 or 10 mm bit...made a template slightly bigger and cut out a few steps and the finish is cleaner.

Just be very careful when going against the grain...it can smash the project.

The gun parts are too small to template router efficiently - been there, broke that. Now, if I had a CNC ...

The gun parts are too small to template router efficiently - been there, broke that. Now, if I had a CNC ...

what i have done is made a pile of templates the same size using mdf ...which i attach to a sheet then just run the router over all the little templates which drop out the bottom as the cut is finished...it prevents the " blow out" when routing against the grain. 

dont we all wish we had a cnc router...i went to the maker space to see what they are all about...they have 3 D printers...lazer cutters and CNC routers which you can use if you are a member...at a fee...but the cost gets a bit hectic especially if you gona do a pile of stuff...i thought it might be a good option when making templates...

but getting metal templates laser cut at a company i use is still the cheapest option...no cad drawing required...they just scan the rough cut item i make... the lady modifies the drawing cleans it up and makes sure all the dimensions are correct and even...then she converts it to suit their system...2 day later i collect the product.

CNC routing a whole hobby on it's own. Have investigated that before. Looked at source for the aluminium extrusions for the frame, the NEMA 34 stepper motors, the controllers and the actual spindle motor. Whole new rabbit hole here.

I did cnc work when at tech. Was fun, currently fiddling with the concept of building a A4 - A3 size cnc router/Laser/Printer. The costs on decent rails/steppers/controllers is quite costly without even going into the alu parts required (still considering other materials ). 

Cost wise your looking at R3K upwards without a spindle/laser/extruder/frame.

Guy I know installed white masonite as toe kicks. Yah well no fine. He's the same guy that's been building platform beds with crating pine (for those not in the know, crating pine is 'wet off saw', so it hasn't been dried properly. It goes twisty-cuppy-warpy in a heartbeat) Thank goodness he discovered melamine a few weeks ago - he's now making bed frames out of that. Selling a ton as well.

Just a note, Crating is not WOS, it is kiln dried, else you would not be able to use it for crates/packaging for export, as export packaging must carry an ISPM15 mark, and this requires that the timber is heat treated.

The grading of Crating vs Industrial Grade vs Select Grade vs Semi-Clear vs Clear is determined by wane, knots (loose knots, tight knots, etc.), blue, etc.

what oils/fluids y'all use to keep your hand tools, blades etc rust free? Any WD 40/ Q20 users?
What about jojoba oil?