Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be smart and dont cut off the plug top...get yourself a round plug socket and fit it to an extension cord so that you dont have to carry around a big plug...makes it way more mobile.

The other option is a weed eater extension cable.

Yup I have a weedeater extension I keep for the sander and router so the Shuko plug will stay. They definitely make it a smaller package than a normal plug.

That is such a useful tool, I have the same with a variety of bits up to 25mm, 300mm long and I have put it though its paces many times over the last few years. Chipping mode with the right bits works a treat, though you should give it a break to cool down when you smell melting plastic.

Only hassle is the cord when you need to work outside, on or in a roof etc But I recently got  a solution for that problem:

s-l300.jpg

Not the grunt of the Bosch beast, no chipper mode but damn handy!

The cordless stuff has really progressed in the last short while, its mad to think you can have some of those more powerful tools running on batteries.

Im at the point where I need to choose a brand to invest in batteries/chargers etc and Im swaying in the Makita direction. It seems the Bosch blue range is fairly limited in SA and similar prices to Makita.

The cordless stuff has really progressed in the last short while, its mad to think you can have some of those more powerful tools running on batteries.

Im at the point where I need to choose a brand to invest in batteries/chargers etc and Im swaying in the Makita direction. It seems the Bosch blue range is fairly limited in SA and similar prices to Makita.

that latter aspect regarding Bosch is rather unfortunate. Been following Bosch North America on insta, and I'm very keen to increasing my cordless stakes, if they made Core18v available in ZA. but I haven't seen anything here yet. It's apparently the best battery system out there at the moment.

that latter aspect regarding Bosch is rather unfortunate. Been following Bosch North America on insta, and I'm very keen to increasing my cordless stakes, if they made Core18v available in ZA. but I haven't seen anything here yet. It's apparently the best battery system out there at the moment.

Its a shame really, Bosch is probably the best represented brand in decent tools in SA.

Its a bit of a thing though having to invest in batteries and chargers so once you are in a brand its an expensive move going to another.

It seems though that a lot of the Makita tools we get here are the older brushed versions so there is also that to consider.

Bosch is great stuff but I put my eggs in the Makita cordless basket - they really have a great product range although limited here and tends to be expensive, and lagging in terms of new models and tech, I buy most of mine on ebay (tool only, often from auction houses or used once type of thing)

The new Brushless (BL) range is excellent, batteries do seem to last longer because they are more efficient and I have been moving my tools over to that range. I use the battery powered small angle grinder a lot, and I am led to believe the new BL one has more power and will run longer, which I can believe. Also keen on BL jigsaw.

Edited by kosmonooit

When you unrole the cord, what role does it get given then? Do see it having many alternative uses really.

Just curious..........Well , give a man enough rope and.......

Edited by Tromp

Bosch is great stuff but I put my eggs in the Makita cordless basket - they really have a great product range although limited here and tends to be expensive, and lagging in terms of new models and tech, I buy most of mine on ebay (tool only, often from auction houses or used once type of thing)

The new Brushless (BL) range is excellent, batteries do seem to last longer because they are more efficient and I have been moving my tools over to that range. I use the battery powered small angle grinder a lot, and I am led to believe the new BL one has more power and will run longer, which I can believe. Also keen on BL jigsaw.

Im leaning heavily in that direction too. I like Makita, I have some pretty old corded tools from them that will outlive me Im sure.

Do you think its better to start with a kit i.e drill or driver with 2x batteries and charger, or to just buy some batteries and a charger then buy individual tool only items?

Im leaning heavily in that direction too. I like Makita, I have some pretty old corded tools from them that will outlive me Im sure.

Do you think its better to start with a kit i.e drill or driver with 2x batteries and charger, or to just buy some batteries and a charger then buy individual tool only items?

You can get a decent two speed  DHP482RFE drill + 2 x 3Ah batteries + charger + carry case for R5k, which is  a good deal, although I don't think that is BL its a good start, then you can get tools only going forward. Batteries alone go for R1400+, Charger around R1k, You can get up to 6Ah  batteries which I have seen for around R2500. Most of mine of 3 Ah which are okay.

http://www.makitatoolsonline.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=420

Or for R4899 from BPM Toolcraft

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/products/makita-cordless-drill-driver-dhp482rfe

Edited by kosmonooit

I’ve been looking at getting a router for some upcoming projects and came across the Makita 3600b for about R2400 (which seems pretty reasonable for a 1/2 inch router). Can’t find too much info/reviews on it and almost no hits from international sites; pretty much just shops selling it without much else. Anyone with any experience with this machine?

We have the bosch 10.2 volt blue range of cordless machines...the most used tools in my kit...i highly recommend these tools...all of them are good...no but about any.

We also have the 18 volt cordless range...mostly still using the old brush machines and i can tell you there is nothing wrong with the old brush tools.

We use the hilti 22 volt range for site work....we also have some of the 36 volt range.

The new makita brushless angle grinder...awesome some machine...seems a little slower than the older version...however it is holds the speed when cutting thicker material.

the small 10.2v bosch impact driver is no toy...that little machine can push long thick wood screws without a problem.

The hilti impact drivers...mmm not the best.

The makita impact drivers are stronger and have a better feel when working with them...i find the new brushless one has too many setting...the older 152 is simple and easy to use (however it has issue with long term use) 

We have tried and tested most of the cordless machines...i am at a point where i need to choose a brand...Hilti or makita...bosch is not an option (range too small) it looks like it is going to be makita (due to variety) the only problem i have and why i havent chosen to kit out the maikta...when it comes to brick and concrete...hilti is my first choice. for most machines...the makita chipper which we use for chipping out after chasing walls is still the best...it runs a full day without heating issues...a couple other construction companies we work with have also bought the same chipper and are very happy with it.

hilti gets credit for products designed for site work...like the sleeve anchor bit and pin...i had to install hundred of these things while installing threaded rod...what a pleasure...drill ...pull the bit off...hammer the sleeve secure using the drill ...pop the bit back on and off to the next one...the gx 120 is one of my favourite tools...everything gets pinned with this thing...i buy black strapping and use it to secure piping after chasing or just to hold in place. 

let me stop here...this is something i am very passionate about...my workshop and site equipment...i wish i could employ a person to run my business so that i can spend my day on site designing and installing equipment...been blessed the past 2 years with 2 massive projects which required hundreds of man hours of installation work. 

I’ve been looking at getting a router for some upcoming projects and came across the Makita 3600b for about R2400 (which seems pretty reasonable for a 1/2 inch router). Can’t find too much info/reviews on it and almost no hits from international sites; pretty much just shops selling it without much else. Anyone with any experience with this machine?

if you dont want to spend a lot of money...i highly recommend the maktec mt 360 ...this thing is a beast ...super strong and runs for ever...i have one mounted under a table and boy thing works...i use it to profile my fishing rod racks (lots of them) one of my hobbies ... https://www.facebook.com/customrodracks.co.za/

I will be upgraded equipment soon...if anyone is interested i will post stuff i will be selling in this thread.

Its probably one of the better places to post it. I still need tons of stuff so will definitely take a look.

Its probably one of the better places to post it. I still need tons of stuff so will definitely take a look.

Ditto

How many of you *back in the day* had to unrole the ENTIRE length of electrical cord from the those metal reels cause of the risk of melting the cables?

When you unrole the cord, what role does it get given then? Do see it having many alternative uses really.

Just curious...........

Unroll your extension cord !!!

Prevents heat build up in chord when using a machine that draws a fair amount of power especially with today's thin chords. With heat the resistance increases in chord and your machine struggles to get the power it needs and you damage the machine not so much the lead.

Use as short a lead as possible. Make your own leads using 2.5 gauge wire and not the 1.5 junk most chords are made of. Electrician told me not to use weedeater chord with heavy duty machines just a bad idea.

With the cost of machines today it is not worth using the incorrect cheap chords.