Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so who here got a TOP50 invite from Toolcraft? :)

Whaaat? not me ....

although I have just take delivery of a 900w Metabo water pump from them (R1250 or so) looks the business!  def. the best deal in you are in the market for a 1/2 decent water pump.

We have the bosch 10.2 volt blue range of cordless machines...the most used tools in my kit...i highly recommend these tools...all of them are good...no but about any.

We also have the 18 volt cordless range...mostly still using the old brush machines and i can tell you there is nothing wrong with the old brush tools.

We use the hilti 22 volt range for site work....we also have some of the 36 volt range.

The new makita brushless angle grinder...awesome some machine...seems a little slower than the older version...however it is holds the speed when cutting thicker material.

the small 10.2v bosch impact driver is no toy...that little machine can push long thick wood screws without a problem.

The hilti impact drivers...mmm not the best.

The makita impact drivers are stronger and have a better feel when working with them...i find the new brushless one has too many setting...the older 152 is simple and easy to use (however it has issue with long term use) 

We have tried and tested most of the cordless machines...i am at a point where i need to choose a brand...Hilti or makita...bosch is not an option (range too small) it looks like it is going to be makita (due to variety) the only problem i have and why i havent chosen to kit out the maikta...when it comes to brick and concrete...hilti is my first choice. for most machines...the makita chipper which we use for chipping out after chasing walls is still the best...it runs a full day without heating issues...a couple other construction companies we work with have also bought the same chipper and are very happy with it.

hilti gets credit for products designed for site work...like the sleeve anchor bit and pin...i had to install hundred of these things while installing threaded rod...what a pleasure...drill ...pull the bit off...hammer the sleeve secure using the drill ...pop the bit back on and off to the next one...the gx 120 is one of my favourite tools...everything gets pinned with this thing...i buy black strapping and use it to secure piping after chasing or just to hold in place. 

Don't you get all sorts of service that's beneficial to contract work with that Hilti price?  And higher duty cycle machines?

Duty cycle is always a consideration, Generally I don't let anyone use (let alone borrow) my power tools. If they do, they must first explain to me what duty cycle means before I will even think of it.

DC Brushed motor power tools are still good and plentiful, only thing is brushes wearing out, but I still have a  brushed three speed Makita 18V drill that's done almost 10 years of heavy service now, haven't needed to do the brushes as yet. But the difference is really the efficiency - the BL has some clever electronics that controls the 3 phase motor and this ultimately means longer battery life, shorter motor / body and better power to weight ratio.

I also see people get confused about voltage, like 36V being the dogs bollox like 2x the power of 18V, many reviewers on YouTube fall in to this trap. The main benefit of the higher voltage is a less power loss in the conductors  - power loss is the square of the current.  Higher voltage means less current flow  from the batteries for a given power setting.

Edited by kosmonooit

Duty cycle is always a consideration, Generally I don't let anyone use (let alone borrow) my power tools. If they do, they must first explain to me what duty cycle means before I will even think of it.

that's a new level of snobbery, but i like it!  :D

so who here got a TOP50 invite from Toolcraft? :)

Hmm strangely I didnt get one either, I have bought a ton of stuff from them! 

Was a bit bummed though, I had a Triton belt sander in my cart and a couple of belts but wanted to check if the belts would fit because they werent the 100% correct size. Took a little too long for a response and they were sold out.

So around 2 weeks ago I noticed a branch had broken off of a neighbors tree and landed in another neighbors yard. He took exception to this and dumped it in the greenbelt across from us.

I didnt pay much attention to it because the branch looked dead and had a rotten end.

Then my wife needed a twig for a Halloween display she was doing in her shop so I popped over to cut one off and noticed the rest of the branch was still green... and covered in burls!

Much excitement(and me chaining extension cords for my electric chainsaw) followed and I ended up with a couple decent pieces of wood.

This is the first one I cut:

wood1.jpg

Its not a particularly big piece being a branch, but is good for small natural edge bowls.

turn.jpg

Finished bowl:

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

Its starting to crack and indent around the heavier burl but that is fine, I expected this piece to go a bit nuts and it was more form than function anyway.

Its London plane tree with some burling that has been smashed by shot hole borer beetles which explains a lot of the Ambrosia type pattern in the heartwood area.

Awesome craftsmanship, but where do people place these items in their homes nowadays, when they already have mother of pearl ashtrays taking up space?

TITAN visits Tom Lie Nielsen

which reminds me I want a modern replacement cutting and cap iron for my Stanley #3, as the original is a bit flexy. unless the blade is ultra sharp, it can chatter a bit.

which reminds me I want a modern replacement cutting and cap iron for my Stanley #3, as the original is a bit flexy. unless the blade is ultra sharp, it can chatter a bit.

I have heard good thing of both the Hock and Veritas chipbreaker/iron combos. Last I saw Toolcraft was actually stocking them locally.

I have heard good thing of both the Hock and Veritas chipbreaker/iron combos. Last I saw Toolcraft was actually stocking them locally.

yes they do! but unfortunately, not the #3. But i'll make a request and then find some patience ;)

So I finished my wifes woodwork project, and in the end it was really easy and fun, as my daughter helped all the way and loves it. She will be painting it over the weekend if the rain stays away. 

Just did a rig for the holes and done. 

Cost:

Shutterply R270

Grips R300/kg (this was 1kg)

T-Nuts R0.45 each (Gelmar)

Bolts R0.80 (Cosmo SIlverton)

Other bits and bobs

Only problem is after a few minutes it was just too easy. She still needs to learn the correct technique of not pulling her up on her arms, but we will get there.

So next project is to build an overhang. 

post-27977-0-51024700-1542705042_thumb.jpg

post-27977-0-14464300-1542705054_thumb.jpg

post-27977-0-92700100-1542705064_thumb.jpg

post-27977-0-64280300-1542705073_thumb.jpg