Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Hello lads and ladesses. 

A fun little project I got a week or two ago though, like everything, the last few hours get pretty frazzled. It was for an commercial, so there's an overseas director and crew and a couple of million R waiting if you screw up. And timing is always tight.

So too is budget. This can't even serve as a proper dog house because it's made from the cheapest commercial ply that wouldn't last a month outdoors. Anyway, it's now at a local prop house, so maybe it'll get more screen time in future.

I'm always surprised at just how much sheet material goes into a job like this. 

Wow that came out looking really good!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steven

Whatever design you settle on, please also consider if it is a dense structure that it will act as a sail, so please make sure you have adequate structural support for the screen.

Anybody have nice plans for privacy fencing?

Need to mount it to a 5ft wall, to extend it by another 3ft.

• 2 weeks later...

Total teaser, I know  :blush: but you have to forgive me, I'm so fired up (did the heat treating today) ! :) You'll have to take my word for it that eventually there will be some woodwork in this project! Promise! Currently I'm struggling to decide between ebony, blackwood, sneezewood and panga panga.

post-17716-0-77657000-1543751392_thumb.jpg

Total teaser, I know :blush: but you have to forgive me, I'm so fired up (did the heat treating today) ! :) You'll have to take my word for it that eventually there will be some woodwork in this project! Promise! Currently I'm struggling to decide between ebony, blackwood, sneezewood and panga panga.

Enony or black. Panga is nice, but if I go that direction it’ll be wenge rather.

Total teaser, I know :blush: but you have to forgive me, I'm so fired up (did the heat treating today) ! :) You'll have to take my word for it that eventually there will be some woodwork in this project! Promise! Currently I'm struggling to decide between ebony, blackwood, sneezewood and panga panga.

nieshout of olien. Ons het nog hoekpale wat my oupa in die vroee 1900s gebruik het

nieshout of olien. Ons het nog hoekpale wat my oupa in die vroee 1900s gebruik het

The sneezewood I have is from an old fence pole from the Jansenville area. They say it never rots and no pest on earth will try eat it! Even fungi and Chuck Norris are afraid of it.  :D

Enony or black. Panga is nice, but if I go that direction it’ll be wenge rather.

Leaning towards a darker wood at the moment.  :) Going to swing by Rarewoods tomorrow to see if there is something interesting that catches my eye.

Edited by DJR

Leaning towards a darker wood at the moment. :) Going to swing by Rarewoods tomorrow to see if there is something interesting that catches my eye.

Never heard of sneezewood. Had to google it. If going light colored, a personal favorite is wild olive for me which should look nice on a handle given the grain and waviness of it.

Total teaser, I know  :blush: but you have to forgive me, I'm so fired up (did the heat treating today) ! :) You'll have to take my word for it that eventually there will be some woodwork in this project! Promise! Currently I'm struggling to decide between ebony, blackwood, sneezewood and panga panga

Looks good, could you run through the process. Steel used, tempering process etc.....

Always wanted to do something similar but I don't have a kiln or furnace for the tempering process.......

Total teaser, I know  :blush: but you have to forgive me, I'm so fired up (did the heat treating today) ! :) You'll have to take my word for it that eventually there will be some woodwork in this project! Promise! Currently I'm struggling to decide between ebony, blackwood, sneezewood and panga panga.

Panga panga works really well with a thin copper inlay. I'll try dig up a pic of one of mine.

Not very happy with how this came out but I was working with what I had.

Pine board cut into squares and turned for the rings, loads of tearout everywhere :(

I used gel food colouring and a beeswax blend so that my sisters little guy can chew on it if he wants to.

attachicon.gifstacker.jpeg

When I used to spend a lot of time turning, I quickly realised pine is not your friend on the lathe.

need to work at a constant high speed with sharp tools and still it looks like shite when you done. Then over to the sanding grids to complete. Pine is not for turning