Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Ok, so I changed my mind a little over the design of my new mallet, went with this instead. Works a treat.

attachicon.gif00000000.jpg

Ed, where can I ship yours"

If you do decide to make some for real (Full wood mallet not Brak pan special) let me know please. Thinking it will make a nice Christmas gift for my old man, one he will actually appreciate for a change. 

If not, then anyone else is welcome to quote me too.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might need to make myself one also.  Might have some Beech leftovers soon.

In another note.  What is another locally available hardwood for a decent price to make drawers from?  Besides the Beech.  Meranti is just too rough-grained to my liking for this job.

Ok, so I changed my mind a little over the design of my new mallet, went with this instead. Works a treat.

attachicon.gif00000000.jpg

Ed, where can I ship yours"

WHAHAHAHA

In another note.  What is another locally available hardwood for a decent price to make drawers from?  Besides the Beech.  Meranti is just too rough-grained to my liking for this job.

Kiaat, mahogany, blackwood, all on the cheaper scale.

No pics, but I'm busy with three mallets - two Carpenter's mallets out of Rhodesian Teak with Beech handles (these things are blerrie heavy, may have to cut them down a tad next time) and another smaller Joiner's mallet with a Beech handle ... and a turned Camel Thorn head  :ph34r: Gonna be making another two or three of these, I robbed a mate's firewood stash - he throws his outoppie's offcuts in there.

No pics, but I'm busy with three mallets - two Carpenter's mallets out of Rhodesian Teak with Beech handles (these things are blerrie heavy, may have to cut them down a tad next time) and another smaller Joiner's mallet with a Beech handle ... and a turned Camel Thorn head  :ph34r: Gonna be making another two or three of these, I robbed a mate's firewood stash - he throws his outoppie's offcuts in there.

Crazy! I chuck Pine offcuts into my firewood, but other wood goes into my scraps bin in the workshop.  Even small offcuts of Beech. Maple or Bubinga can be used to make usefull tools like this:

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/2016/02/cam-clamps-episode-1/

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/2016/03/cam-clamp-episode-2/

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/2016/03/cam-clamp-episode-3/

Edited by Moridin

Good progress on our mallets Pants!

Next progress report and pictures?

I've laminated a bit of Camelthorn to the end of a piece of Beech, so waiting for that to dry before chucking it on the lathe.

I'll be fine sanding and sealing the two BAM's tonight so will have pics tomorrow. Send me an address so long :)

So this thread had got me missing solid wood. We only used to produce solid wood furniture, but started doing kitchens too. The kitchens side has been keeping us very busy over the last few years and, as rewarding as that can be, I miss solid wood. So I will be doing some sideline projects and will start making contributions here

So this thread had got me missing solid wood. We only used to produce solid wood furniture, but started doing kitchens too. The kitchens side has been keeping us very busy over the last few years and, as rewarding as that can be, I miss solid wood. So I will be doing some sideline projects and will start making contributions here

The only thing I hate more than Beaver Puke (Chipboard/melamine) is Beaver Puke Customers. They ALWAYS give you lip and are NEVER satisfied, no matter what. I've stopped doing kitchens because of customers calling you back a 100 times over nothing. I very nearly ripped out a complete install in February where the customer was dissatisfied with the fit of cabinet doors - after I showed him that a sheet of paper can't fit between the doors and a steel ruler held underneath. My biggest gripe is that he refused to make the last payment (Around R6K, too little to litigate and too much to do nothing about)

The only thing I hate more than Beaver Puke (Chipboard/melamine) is Beaver Puke Customers. They ALWAYS give you lip and are NEVER satisfied, no matter what. I've stopped doing kitchens because of customers calling you back a 100 times over nothing. I very nearly ripped out a complete install in February where the customer was dissatisfied with the fit of cabinet doors - after I showed him that a sheet of paper can't fit between the doors and a steel ruler held underneath. My biggest gripe is that he refused to make the last payment (Around R6K, too little to litigate and too much to do nothing about)

I know how you feel. My crew is at a house today replacing a shelf in a BIC that "just broke" with jerseys on them. We only assemble units with screws, not nails. Funny how the broken shelf is the second from the floor........