Raleigh Chopper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, was hanging in a Pastors garage all these years

Still has the original brake cables

You should check, there was a new release in 2004, could be one of those, which might explain your mint condition one

Wow,

THose things were the most evil handling devices I ever rode.

But man did you have pose value if you had one. Babe magnet...

Clarification:  Under 13 Babe magnet...

Could fit at least 6 people on that bike at one time

... and if you grew up in Joostenbergvlakte, then I was one of those 6!

You should check, there was a new release in 2004, could be one of those, which might explain your mint condition one

The newer models didn't have the gear lever on the top tube. For safety reasons the later models had shifters on the handle bars. This is definitely an older model.

The newer models didn't have the gear lever on the top tube. For safety reasons the later models had shifters on the handle bars. This is definitely an older model.

Ja, and I think the re-release had a two-piece seat too.

Don't know how it was stored, but it do not look like it has been ridden.

Not sure if I want to sell, maybe if i get a good offer.

You just don't find them in this condition.

First you say you don't know then next post it was hanging in a pastors garage?

Nope, was hanging in a Pastors garage all these years

Still has the original brake cables

Unless it was a temperature controlled hermetically sealed garage I don't see how it can be so pristine, metal/chrome corrodes just standing, nevermind fabrics, plastics and rubber perishing. 35yrs of surface contamination/heat fluctuations/compound break down takes its toll.

Still have a 40 year old scar from trying to wheelie one of those. Great find.

Same here! Going down a steep gravel hill on a top heavy thing like that with a front wheel the size of a frisbee.....leads to scars!

Edited by DJR

This is a MK2 chopper. Manufactured from 1972 to 1982. The serial no confirms 1980 date of manufacture. There should also be serial no on the Sturney Archer hub. But the date on the hub can be as late as 1982. This particular chopper was one of the last that was brazed - all the last ones were painted black with diffraction tape decals. What is it worth? £800 - £1000. Rare cases as much as £1500 for mint condition. Hope this info helps

First you say you don't know then next post it was hanging in a pastors garage?

Unless it was a temperature controlled hermetically sealed garage I don't see how it can be so pristine, metal/chrome corrodes just standing, nevermind fabrics, plastics and rubber perishing. 35yrs of surface contamination/heat fluctuations/compound break down takes its toll.

Sjo, Look who has been watching to much CSI.

Skylark. I phoned him yesterday and asked him where he kept it all these years.

I am not trying to sell it neither am I trying to win an award.

I posted it because my bicycle shop is 23 years old I have never seen such a nice Chopper and like myself there is hubbers out there who have memories and enjoy a good classic.

When I got the chopper there was some surface rust, but I know a few tricks to remove it. If you zoom into the pic you can see one or two small spots on the sissy bar and mudguards. The tyres were faded but I have a chemical that I put on so that it looks like new again.

I have a couple of classic cars that I play with after hours so it is those tricks I picked up along the way that helped to make the Chopper shine like new again.