• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have decided to ‘give it a tri’ and entered the FUNTRI in Ekurhuleni in October. 600m/20km/5km. Any advice on how much can be pushed and when to rather hold back a bit? I am following a training program from FitTrack with 8 training sessions per week at various intensity levels that peaks before the event, but any other advice? I am also a bit in the dark regarding transition rules. When are you supposed be on/off your bike? Does the transition time count towards final time?

Edited by Engel-a

When you rest well between training sessions, you recover, fatigue subsides and your form improves. Better form, better performance and results.

Thanks ...so where should form be?

So, I have decided to ‘give it a tri’ and entered the FUNTRI in Ekurhuleni in October. 600m/20km/5km. Any advice on how much can be pushed and when to rather hold back a bit? I am following a training program from FitTrack with 8 training sessions per week at various intensity levels that peaks before the event, but any other advice? I am also a bit in the dark regarding transition rules. When are you supposed be on/off your bike? Does the transition time count towards final time?

Yeah....your time starts when your swim starts and ends when you cross the line.

Don't over-do the training now.Use the October race to guage your fitness level and build from there for summer.

Yeah....your time starts when your swim starts and ends when you cross the line.

Don't over-do the training now.Use the October race to guage your fitness level and build from there for summer.

Ok thanks. So training should just be more relaxed rather than gunning for PB’s

Thanks ...so where should form be?

Your Strava charts are basically the same as the PMC charts in trainingpeaks.  Form or Training Stress Balance (TSB) prior to your race should be slightly negative or trending positive.  Greater than 25 and you have rested too much before the race.

Some articles

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-is-the-performance-management-chart/

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/applying-the-numbers-part-3-training-stress-balance/

From your graphs and figures, looks like you are already tapering for your event this weekend as fatigue is less than fitness and form is trending positive

Edited by shaper

I used FitTrack for my very first 70.3 so should be good for you doing the funTri and you can and will gain experience from the event.

As Gummi said your total time is from the time you cross the timing mat at the start of the swim and finishes the time you cross the timing mat at the end of the run.  Transition from swim to bike and bike to run are included.  So don't take your time in these transitions, move swiftly and composed.  

Have everything laid out either on your bike or on the floor next to your bike in order and easy to reach and get to.  Use reference points (a tree or something distinguishing) to help locate your bike. As when you are rushing and the transition area is full of bikes it can be a little confusing trying to find your bike.

There will be lines laid out on the road very near to the transition area and race officials telling/assisting you where you can get on your bike after the line and off your bike before you get back to the line

Should give you a better idea of the transitions (each event will have slightly different rules with timing chips etc, so may not be as the video below)

Edited by shaper

Your Strava charts are basically the same as the PMC charts in trainingpeaks.  Form or Training Stress Balance (TSB) prior to your race should be slightly negative or trending positive.  Greater than 25 and you have rested too much before the race.

Some articles

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-is-the-performance-management-chart/

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/applying-the-numbers-part-3-training-stress-balance/

From your graphs and figures, looks like you are already tapering for your event this weekend as fatigue is less than fitness and form is trending positive

Thanks.

Ive been following one of the 12 week online programs and cutting back now.

Elite doping positive from ITU World Triathlon Bermuda

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/itu-doping-positive-david-mendoza

GW501516 – also known as Endurabol – which is quite scary reading, given that testing showed the drug to cause cancer rapidly in several organs. Indeed, even the World Anti-Doping Authority went as far in 2013 of issuing a warning to potential users of its health risks.

Interestingly – but slightly confusingly – the athlete:

• waives the analysis of his B sample
  • admits the anti doping rule violation, but
  • ‘speculates that it was from a vitamin B complex he ingested the night prior to his test upon falling ill and pleads his innocence’

Thanks.

Ive been following one of the 12 week online programs and cutting back now.

Good luck for Sunday, hope the race goes well !!  Going to be a hot one!!

he takes the drugs and still finished near the back....

I want to use a bad word for this guy...DF..... there is no justification for what he did. What really gets my nads in a twist is when they return to the sport and welcomed back like some long lost son/daughter like they served their time and have had some Damascus experience so its all okay. You are a f#ing doper and you are a cheat ...but its okay now that you served your ban? 

Edited by Wheelsuck

I used FitTrack for my very first 70.3 so should be good for you doing the funTri and you can and will gain experience from the event.

As Gummi said your total time is from the time you cross the timing mat at the start of the swim and finishes the time you cross the timing mat at the end of the run.  Transition from swim to bike and bike to run are included.  So don't take your time in these transitions, move swiftly and composed.  

Have everything laid out either on your bike or on the floor next to your bike in order and easy to reach and get to.  Use reference points (a tree or something distinguishing) to help locate your bike. As when you are rushing and the transition area is full of bikes it can be a little confusing trying to find your bike.

There will be lines laid out on the road very near to the transition area and race officials telling/assisting you where you can get on your bike after the line and off your bike before you get back to the line

Should give you a better idea of the transitions (each event will have slightly different rules with timing chips etc, so may not be as the video below)

One thing I would add is remember to put your helmet on before you touch your bike-the video shows it but it is important to note. I usually have my helmet on the bars so that I grab that first as I get to the bike. 

Also heading out of the water I dont take my swim cap and goggles off until at the bike-to much to carry and it may drop. With a wetsuit swim though I take it off before I peel the wetsuit off and keep it in my hand till I slide the arm out of the sleeve and then just leave it in there. Never had an issue with it falling out.

I like that they stand and get into shoes-I once made the mistake of having a sit down-it was a waste of time and I got up like an 80 year old.

A lot of athletes also push their kit towards the back of the bike when stashing their kit-in a congested Transition its sometimes difficult to access as you have to squeeze between bikes so I put mine as close to my access point as possible.