Yes, it's self-seeding for Ironman events (YouTube the rolling starts to give you an idea) which means the race is basically an individual TT.  For other events you typically get batched by age group or gender depending on the size of the field.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Otherwise there is the Rockman tri in December which is all off road at Heia Safari in the Cradle loop.

Did the sprint last year as my first ever tri. Was a awesome time out however the temps were stupid high. The Garmin picked up 40 + degrees which = near death experience.

Link: http://rockmanxtri.co.za/ 

Will be entering the ultra I reckon. My first off road triathlon and will be taking it easy

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to eye a 70.3 maybe next year :ph34r:

What would you folks say is a good litmus test to be able to complete lets say East London's 70.3. Something along the lines of you should be able to swim x, cycle y and run z. And please not x= 1.9km,y=90km, z=21.1km :blush:  :blush:  :blush: . What would you say a realistic training goal to reach would be.

Also, is something like the xterra full a good test or is it that x2?

I know everyone is different, but just trying to get a feel for what it would take if that's possible.

Starting to eye a 70.3 maybe next year :ph34r:

What would you folks say is a good litmus test to be able to complete lets say East London's 70.3. Something along the lines of you should be able to swim x, cycle y and run z. And please not x= 1.9km,y=90km, z=21.1km :blush:  :blush:  :blush: . What would you say a realistic training goal to reach would be.

Also, is something like the xterra full a good test or is it that x2?

I know everyone is different, but just trying to get a feel for what it would take if that's possible.

I reckon one is far more able than what we think we are. After 30 years of sedentary lifestyle I did my first 70.3 after about 7 months of training and I am a *** athlete believe me. While I did not do it fast I did finish. SO if you an athlete or regular cyclist or runner you can do it.

I would say that if you have swum 1.9km and cycled 90km and run 21 kays in the space of one week you should be able to do a 70.3. The big thing when stepping up from a 5150 or Olympic distance is experience. Take it easy when coming onto the bike and relax. YOu can always make up time towards the end if you feeling strong but once you have burnt matches due to being over eager there is no coming back.

I reiterate, the body is far more capable than we think it is.

Hi All,

Training for my first 70.3 in East London. 

I will actually be in EL for the XMas holidays - are there any open water swimming groups I could hook up with there to get a feel for what I'm in for?

I reckon one is far more able than what we think we are. After 30 years of sedentary lifestyle I did my first 70.3 after about 7 months of training and I am a *** athlete believe me. While I did not do it fast I did finish. SO if you an athlete or regular cyclist or runner you can do it.

I would say that if you have swum 1.9km and cycled 90km and run 21 kays in the space of one week you should be able to do a 70.3. The big thing when stepping up from a 5150 or Olympic distance is experience. Take it easy when coming onto the bike and relax. YOu can always make up time towards the end if you feeling strong but once you have burnt matches due to being over eager there is no coming back.

I reiterate, the body is far more capable than we think it is.

Thanx for that and I concur: one is able to do more.

If I may ask, what did your 7 months contain ito training?

Hi All,

I will actually be in EL for the XMas holidays - are there any open water swimming groups I could hook up with there to get a feel for what I'm in for?

if you are on vleisboek

edit: link to working, search for East London Open Water Swimmers  

East London Open Water Swimmers

Edited by fanievb

Hi All,

Yup there is a facebook group where it gets organised mostly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/elows/

They swim at Orient mostly which is where the swim for the 70.3 will be.

breaker, if you can do each of the distances individually over the course of a couple of days, then you are more than ready to attempt a 70.3 distance triathlon (with some training thrown in).

When I am starting my training for a specific event, my goal is to at least do the distance for each leg over the course of a week. i.e. for the 70.3 event, I will try swim 1.9km, cycle 90km and then run 21km in a week. If I can do this relatively comfortably, then I know that I am fit enough to finish the event. To then finish it well, I then add to that very basic formula.

breaker, if you can do each of the distances individually over the course of a couple of days, then you are more than ready to attempt a 70.3 distance triathlon (with some training thrown in).

When I am starting my training for a specific event, my goal is to at least do the distance for each leg over the course of a week. i.e. for the 70.3 event, I will try swim 1.9km, cycle 90km and then run 21km in a week. If I can do this relatively comfortably, then I know that I am fit enough to finish the event. To then finish it well, I then add to that very basic formula.

I don't do much road cycling but I think I will give it a tri with the week of the argus, ie swim 3 days before the argus and run 3 days after. Will be good prep for the oceans half as well as that would be 3 weeks away. Shot for the suggestions. 

I don't do much road cycling but I think I will give it a tri with the week of the argus, ie swim 3 days before the argus and run 3 days after. Will be good prep for the oceans half as well as that would be 3 weeks away. Shot for the suggestions. 

If you do that comfortably then try to do the same again but over 1 weekend. Swim on the Friday, bike on the Saturday and run on the Sunday

Edited by shaper

Thanx for that and I concur: one is able to do more.

If I may ask, what did your 7 months contain ito training?

I started training for a 5150 after which I entered an ultra. In the 7 months I started from scratch for running an cycling but had some swim experience.

Started off small and just prior to ultra I was running one long run a week of around 10 kays and twice a week around 5 kays.cycling around 100 kays a week with one long ride f around 60 an another around 30...swimming a couple of times a week.

I had finished 2 x 21 Kay run events by the time I did the half and longest cycle was around 90 kays.

In total around 7 hours a week I reckon.

Enjoy the journey, looking back now I have come a moerse long way in triathlon.