Anyone signed up for Durban 70.3 in just over 2 weeks time? Do you think we are going to swim with the level of e-coli in the sea?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ycowley said:

Anyone signed up for Durban 70.3 in just over 2 weeks time? Do you think we are going to swim with the level of e-coli in the sea?

Extended beach closures in place at the moment and Philani Mavundla (deputy mayor) has a few minutes ago stated that the 80% of waste water plants not functional will take quite some time to repair and one has to be entirely replaced.

Edited by justinafrika

16 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Extended beach closures in place at the moment and Philani Mavundla (deputy mayor) has a few minutes ago stated that the 80% of waste water plants not functional will take quite some time to repair and one has to be entirely replaced.

Agreed.  On the ground "tenders" (a hastily cobbled together mishmash) for at least one of the plants have only just been issued rather than doing the work as emergency "cost plus" repair which could / should have started a month ago.  I doubt a contractor will even be appointed by early June 2022.

I saw a copy of an email from Ironman SA saying we will be told the Wednesday before the race and that they are doing independent water tests as well as getting the municipality water tests.

Absolutely enjoyed watching the Sub7/Sub8 yesterday. Massive amount of respect for them all. With that frame of his, KB really is something else. Being able to be that fast over all distances is unreal. 

Not sure how I feel about the Sub7/Sub8, as an exhibit event that show case the technology advances, sure it has a place.

As a race format going forward, not for me.

I thought the coverage was good. As far as the event went it was interesting to watch , but as a race format not for me. There is a reason why tri is non draft event. The swim times and run times were not that out of the world , but the bike times were in effect a team time trial. Could possibly go faster if you put tdf cyclist on your team and increase the number of pacers. I would place this event in the same category as the Ineos sub 2 run event.

Not taking away anything from the athletes as I will never be in that league in my wildest fantasy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. What has become of the Trinity Sports series of duathlon and triathlon events at Germiston Lake? Not seen any change to the content of their website since January 2022.   Apologies if this is covered elsewhere or earlier.  Tx.

I think the Trinity series, along with 5150 Bela Bela have all been canned.  Can only suspect it's a money thing.

2 hours ago, Andymann said:

I think the Trinity series, along with 5150 Bela Bela have all been canned.  Can only suspect it's a money thing.

Yup, not just Bela Bela though; All Ironman 5150 events went the way of the dodo. Really tragic (and a bit shortsighted imo); the 5150's served as a gateway to the larger 70.3 and Ironman events. A lot of novices can't imagine going half-ironman distance and therefore never even try. 5150's provided a nice entry point to longer events. Also, it used to be a nice day out, not too demanding and doesn't require that much training to just finish, The longer events are a lot more time consuming to train for and a lot more expensive to enter and prepare for. I can't really understand why they were discontinued; the 8 (Bela Bela and Germiston) or so that I completed were always well supported 

Edited by Craai

• 1 month later...

Doing my first triathlon in a few weeks and need some advise. What do you do with a heart rate strap for T1? It is not a swimming one, so do not think keeping it on for the swim will work. I would like to have it on for the bike and run to help with pacing. I can just put it on the strap for the swim and click the other piece on in T1 or just take the time to put it on after the swim, just want to finish anyway. Any tricks I am missing here?