• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, fanievb said:

so I wonder is EL 70.3 will continue (or die a slow death due to the incompetence of BCMM)

No more East London unfortunately. There will be an additional 70.3 added soon besides Mossel Bay. 

56 minutes ago, shaper said:

Beautiful location, what about EL and Durban? 

Is this to be 3rd half in ZA? Or to replace one of the above?

Edit: I see EL to be discontinued...pity cos thats a nice course 

Edited by IceCreamMan

1 hour ago, Sportopia Cycles said:

No more East London unfortunately. There will be an additional 70.3 added soon besides Mossel Bay. 

Do you have confirmation of this? (EL being canned) 

I know its been a rumour for a while 

Edited by fanievb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:44 PM, shaper said:

I've entered and it will be my first 70.3. Thanks for all the advice in the thread on training, pacing, transitions etc etc. I am not a strong swimmer and will need stroke correction and coaching. Any recommendation of a swim school that caters for adults in Durbanville please? Also, any recommendation of a good multisport club to join? Thanks 

For those in-the-know, what do accommodation places go for during a Ironman event? 

In-laws recently bought a place in Klein-Brak, about 10mins away from the event start listed above.

2.5 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms bottom section of the property is ideal to be rented out to holiday makers. 

Just wondering what the typical daily rate is and the duration that an athlete typically stay for. 

View from the property, taken right now:

IMG_20211224_143545.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, quick little rant: I was thinking of doing the RedHub standard road triathlon (1.5/40/10) in April but there's no way at R700 entry. I know there is a lot of logistics and organization that goes into it but R700?? I'm a just a poor bugger or is this what it costs nowadays?

36 minutes ago, duanelr said:

Hi there, quick little rant: I was thinking of doing the RedHub standard road triathlon (1.5/40/10) in April but there's no way at R700 entry. I know there is a lot of logistics and organization that goes into it but R700?? I'm a just a poor bugger or is this what it costs nowadays?

You better not consider an Ironman 70.3 as that is 5 times that price.  A typical running road race will cost your R300+, a road cycle race R400+, the replacement of just a road tire will be R700+

So R700 is not a lot by the time you factor in venue costs, having medical staff available as well as marshals and nutrition out on course.  Even with sponsorship they still have to make a profit as it is a business and there are still other costs on top of what have mentioned. (barriers/transition area/tents/signs/public liability insurance etc)

Perhaps you should re-evaluate what things costs these days, and also realise that the sport of triathlon is not cheap, and that does not factor in the entry cost.

29 minutes ago, shaper said:

You better not consider an Ironman 70.3 as that is 5 times that price.  A typical running road race will cost your R300+, a road cycle race R400+, the replacement of just a road tire will be R700+

So R700 is not a lot by the time you factor in venue costs, having medical staff available as well as marshals and nutrition out on course.  Even with sponsorship they still have to make a profit as it is a business and there are still other costs on top of what have mentioned. (barriers/transition area/tents/signs/public liability insurance etc)

Perhaps you should re-evaluate what things costs these days, and also realise that the sport of triathlon is not cheap, and that does not factor in the entry cost.

I agree with what you say and yes maybe I should make the mind shift about what things cost these days. I was just totally surprised at the cost. I've done the 70.3 Durban in 2019, and thought I'd do this RedHub STD road tri as a refresher, to see if I still like the discipline, but now I'm thinking twice. Maybe since it's in April there's still time I should just budget for the event. Anyway, I wonder if newcomers to the sport will be as discouraged as I was after seeing the price. At least I have good memories to motivate me to save / budget for the event. 

28 minutes ago, duanelr said:

I agree with what you say and yes maybe I should make the mind shift about what things cost these days. I was just totally surprised at the cost. I've done the 70.3 Durban in 2019, and thought I'd do this RedHub STD road tri as a refresher, to see if I still like the discipline, but now I'm thinking twice. Maybe since it's in April there's still time I should just budget for the event. Anyway, I wonder if newcomers to the sport will be as discouraged as I was after seeing the price. At least I have good memories to motivate me to save / budget for the event. 

Try the Tinman Series that is about to start in Gauteng, it is a little cheaper. I suspect as they want to try to attract entries to make it feasible and viable for future events as they spread out from their Durban base. https://www.entryninja.com/events/77255-tinman-joburg-1

2 hours ago, shaper said:

We run the GoSport Cross-Triathlons at the Cowhouse and we are very cash-strapped - no fancy frills, no split timing, basic waterpoints and it's held off-road and in a pool to save costs.   We even do the swim lap-counting ourselves and then when everyone is done swimming, we become the sweepers and ride the routes to help any stragglers.  At R350 an entry if we don't get 15 participants we lose money.  It's a very fine line to try and hold a professional event which people want and expect, and to keep the entries realistic.

What we try and do is market our events purely for beginners to get into the Sport - that way, we can control the things that are important (but free!) like teaching the correct rules of Triathlon, but we also don't create an expectation of an IM standard of organization.

R750 is expensive, but if you need10 lifesavers on the day, it quickly adds up.

• 2 months later...

So as luck would have it, my late decision to commit to durban 70.3 is too late :(:(:(
Seems all sold out. Does anyone know transfers from one athlete to another is allowed? I'm hoping if someone is willing to sell that it is actually allowed, otherwize massive admin fail on my side.

32 minutes ago, breaker said:

So as luck would have it, my late decision to commit to durban 70.3 is too late :(:(:(
Seems all sold out. Does anyone know transfers from one athlete to another is allowed? I'm hoping if someone is willing to sell that it is actually allowed, otherwize massive admin fail on my side.

Transfer nor allowed by Ironman and never has been, you had better consider Ironman Mossel Bay in November as that is already filling up. Else PE and Durban next year if it is Ironman specific event you want to do.

Alternatively you could do Durban Ultra in August, if you want to do a similar distance triathlon.

Edited by shaper