• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we got the same email for Durban 70.3 in June which am surprised at as our gyms have been open for quite a long time now, so no real excuse not to be swim ready.

Creating a lil controversy on groups I belong to here.

Makes logical sense really. IM don’t want a PR nightmare of an incident.

Creating a lil controversy on groups I belong to here.

Makes logical sense really. IM don’t want a PR nightmare of an incident.

I follow a few of the UK groups as well, whilst IM have offered it, Cotswold and other races local to you I have not heard of them changing a triathlon to a bike/run.

Can you say you did a 70.3 Ironman if you chose not to do the swim??

I follow a few of the UK groups as well, whilst IM have offered it, Cotswold and other races local to you I have not heard of them changing a triathlon to a bike/run.

Can you say you did a 70.3 Ironman if you chose not to do the swim??

hehe, thats exactly the direction of the discussions and no. But i think its the right call for some ppl. rather safe than sorry. 

Due to do an event in the cotswold too in july...an olympic to kick off the campaign. 

hehe, thats exactly the direction of the discussions and no. But i think its the right call for some ppl. rather safe than sorry. 

Due to do an event in the cotswold too in july...an olympic to kick off the campaign. 

To date the correspondence for Durban 70.3, the race is going ahead on 6 June as stands.

If you have concerns about Covid19, you can defer to next year - Most who are considering or have deferred is because they have not trained as if it will happen, so now in a panic from no training, so using the Covid19 option to defer and not because of a mass participation event where there is a possibility even if small as the event is taking all precautions,

Now if you don't want to swim you can opt out, yet we have been back in the pool since around August last year and you have been able to open water swim all summer.

Maybe Ironman need to change their name to Wokeman  :whistling:

Edited by shaper

I'm reading this that they are in need of the entry money and they will make any concession you may want to get you to enter.

I might just consider their offer, I'm not a fan of the swim. ;)

I'm reading this that they are in need of the entry money and they will make any concession you may want to get you to enter.

I might just consider their offer, I'm not a fan of the swim. ;)

I think events are completely sold out with waiting lists longer n yr arm. 

I think events are completely sold out with waiting lists longer n yr arm.

Cool, please excuse my previous comment then in that case.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did think long and hard before posting this because my Wife has the Dinamic Coaching Franchise in Gauteng so there is obviously a bit of bias.  So forgive me -  this is genuinely not to punt Dinamic, but rather just an excellent talk for Triathletes (or any athlete really). 

If you're serious about your training, and are wondering if you need a coach then take and hour and listen -  Neil is up there with the best in the world and as an analyst he's probably one of the best.  The stuff I have learnt from him both when he coached me, and also just listening to the Coaching discussions he and my wife have has been phenomenal.  And he's constantly researching new methods - we've recently been looking at INSCYD testing and some of the results coming out of that are really promising.

https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts284/

So sad. I did my first 70.3 at Sun City Ultra a few weeks ago. Finished in 6hours 50 minutes. Was really hard. The water was choppy, the wind blew from the side on the bike and the run is seriously hard.

Anyway a few days of rest and onward and upward with training / recovery as Durban was on the horizon. Went out for a slow, flat 6km run and felt a pain in my right achilles.

Nursed achilles for a few days and then the pain really set in. Off to doc. Sent for a scan. Hello Grade 1 tear to the right achilles.

Farewell 2021 Durban. Deferred to 2022. Oh well, at least 2021 saw me do a 70.3. Now got my sights on: -

Germiston 5150 if it happening

947 cycle

Redhub triathlon sprint

7 hours ago, ycowley said:

So sad...

well done on finishing what sounds like a really tough Sun City Ultra; so sorry to hear your Achilles injury is a tear. You didn't say what rehab you've been given, but I'd recommend seeing a physiotherapist regularly to help guide your recovery and help to keep you focused on doing all the little things that will help you to come back stronger. take care. 

7 hours ago, ycowley said:

So sad. I did my first 70.3 at Sun City Ultra a few weeks ago. Finished in 6hours 50 minutes. Was really hard. The water was choppy, the wind blew from the side on the bike and the run is seriously hard.

Anyway a few days of rest and onward and upward with training / recovery as Durban was on the horizon. Went out for a slow, flat 6km run and felt a pain in my right achilles.

Nursed achilles for a few days and then the pain really set in. Off to doc. Sent for a scan. Hello Grade 1 tear to the right achilles.

Farewell 2021 Durban. Deferred to 2022. Oh well, at least 2021 saw me do a 70.3. Now got my sights on: -

Germiston 5150 if it happening

947 cycle

Redhub triathlon sprint

Well done in finishing your first. The aim of the first is to finish and learn from it. Think about what worked and what didn't, plan to improve on aspects. Reflect on the training and your training plan. Was it sufficient, what did it lack. Discuss with your coach if you had one. Use the rehab and recovery time to disect and work out how to improve so that you come back stronger, fitter and more determined for Durban next year.

Use your new goal events to put into practice the decisions from this post race analysis. Endurance events are not only long distance races but also long distance and time to incrementally improve.

The next 70.3 will be easier as you now know what to expect.

Good luck with the rehab and a speedy recovery!