High 5 man! thats awesome. Once you find that 'continuous' rhythm you'll feel like you can go for days, its a great feeling.

Speed is overrated, don't worry about that one  :ph34r:  :D

Ummmm - dunno about that continuous rhythm thing - I hear it mentioned in hushed tones like it's some special Zen thing.  Nothing my way though!  But I have gone from absolutely never will I ever do a triathlon to maybe I must look for a 70.3 towards the end of the year and see what it's all about.

My wife coaches a few Juniors - I was chatting to one the other day and she casually mentioned that she was a bit tired because they were doing some intervals.  What pace, I asked (because I think I know about swimming).  1:15 she says - what pace can you do?  That was the end of that conversation.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a little breakthrough today - 16th December I managed 300m consisting of 12 laps of the Virgin active pool resting every 100m.  Last time out at Blyde I had to stop every 200m and walk around the Buoy. Today I managed 600m continuous.  It's not the 2km+ that everyone else around me is doing, and also nowhere near the 1:50/100 everyone else seems to be able to do comfortably, but I'm doing Blyde again on Sunday and this time plan not to be last out of the Lagoon!

There are still a few entries left btw if anyone is still keen for a fun day out....

You should never worry about what the others are doing, you race your race... 

Well done on your swimming, consistency is key! Keep it up, one day you'll be doing Ironman and no I'm not joking :-) 

You should never worry about what the others are doing, you race your race...

Well done on your swimming, consistency is key! Keep it up, one day you'll be doing Ironman and no I'm not joking :-)

Well done! Yup... Consistency is key! 600m now turns into an easy 3km swim this time next year... And then Ironman [emoji1787]

All best for Friday Shaper!

Yea Trautman is there, apparently been nursing a stomach bug after his win, so hopefully that is long gone and he can hit it hard!  These Pro athletes are machines! I'm still trying to get back into training for full and he is about to smash his body to pieces again - not human!!

That's great Andymann! Best of luck at Blyde

Must say, the biggest difference in my swimming came when I improved my breathing.

I used to be absolutely knackered quite quickly, and very out of breath, once I slowed down my arms to match my breathing, and learned to take smaller breaths, rather than gasps of it, I found that my endurance went up a lot.

BTW, anyone else doing RedHub Standard Road Tri on the 16th? Will be my 1st standard distance, hoping to sneak in under 4 hours, not sure if my run/walk will allow though.

BTW, anyone else doing RedHub Standard Road Tri on the 16th? Will be my 1st standard distance, hoping to sneak in under 4 hours, not sure if my run/walk will allow though.

My shoulder is still a bit stuffed from a MTB fall I had a few weeks ago so I'll probably be doing the Standard Duathlon instead  :unsure:  Best of luck for your first Standard Distance  :thumbup:

Anyone racing Dubai 70.3 on Friday? Just arrived, weather looking good and should be a fast race.

I see Matt Trautman is racing straight off his win at EL !!

Good Luck, enjoy the race. 

Race report please.

Good Luck, enjoy the race. 

Race report please.

Tougher day at the office than hoped for.

Day started with fog and damp conditions with good cloud cover but as the sun rose it burnt the cloud off.  I was not feeling in the game and rather feeling meh at the start.  Was not my usual self.  Sea was fairly flat with only a slight small chop nothing to complain about and the swim.  I have been doing a lot of work on my swim technique and it paid off nicely, was out of the water in 36 mins and sort of what was hopping for.

The bike leg was defined as fast and flat and whilst there were no serious climbs, we definitely climbed the 45 kms out to the turn around and it was also into a head wind, so legs were worked.  By comparison the return was fast but tricky with lots of roundabouts to negotiate.  Back to the meh at the start of the race, became nauseous on the bike and I struggled to eat and drink much, managed 2 farbars and only drank one of my bottles as struggled to stomach the carbs.  I was hoping for a 2:20hr bike leg, but finished in 2:29, so was fairly happy considering.

The run is flat and on a bouncy green beach front path.  Is smooth and give cushioning like you are on a running track, but after a while it gets uncomfortable, so you start looking for pavements or the boardwalk next to it to run on.  I set off at the pace I wanted and all seemed well, managed to get some cold water down at the aid stations and started to feel better.  The run is an outward 7km, back 7km and then another half loop of 3.5kms.  At the end of the first 7km I had a Gu as felt needed something which had no reaction, so settled into a good tempo run and tried another Gu at the 14km turn around.  By then was feeling a lot better, so upped the pace for the last 7km loop of 2 x 3.5km, treating each one as a time trial.  

I started to mentally add up the time to work out if a sub 5hr race was still on the cards as both transition were lengthy due to the configuration you had to do.  At one point my maths let me down and a mental calc made it not possible.  At which point I scrolled my watch to check overall and saw I was on 4:39hrs with 2.5kms to go... so just put my head down and gave it everything, irrespective of the pain and tiredness.

Finished in 4:55hrs, so all in all happy with the race even if did not go as planned.

Edited by shaper

Well done! That's my race for next year!

Lots of SA racing, was the 2nd biggest nation after the Brits

Lots of SA racing, was the 2nd biggest nation after the Brits

Yeah I know a lot of guys over there, and even more that are keen for next year... I wouldn't be suprised if in 5 years EL doesn't have enough participation to warrant two 70. 3s in SA.

Yeah I know a lot of guys over there, and even more that are keen for next year... I wouldn't be suprised if in 5 years EL doesn't have enough participation to warrant two 70. 3s in SA.

Something to wet your appetite ;)