hi guys im also new tot he tri-game. the swimming is the biggest issue for me at this point. at what stage do you decide to get lessons? im not "swim fit" and not sure how to get swim fit without swallowing all the pool water possible during a session grrr

where do one start with the swimming training? 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys im also new tot he tri-game. the swimming is the biggest issue for me at this point. at what stage do you decide to get lessons? im not "swim fit" and not sure how to get swim fit without swallowing all the pool water possible during a session grrr

I never got lessons. Just read up a lot and checked a view instructional vids on Youtoob. Took me about 3 months to feel comfortable in the water. At the moment I do +-1h15min for the 3.8km swim in the full IM, which is not blistering pace, but quick enough for me. So I guess it's not essential to have lessons, but if you want to get ahead a bit quicker and not learn any bad habits, lessons will definitely help.

If at all possible try a squad - not very expensive and a lot of fun. Great to learn from people who know more than you.

thanks guys, also checked the vids and learning alot.. i feel happy reading the timeframe of getting comfy int he water, yikes its quite a "bomskok" mission in the beginning.

was just wondering if there is a set place to "start" with the whole swimming deal. im swallowing so much water im scared im gonna get a bill at the end of my "so called" training session hahaha, and the pool water buggers up my throat.

so trying to get swim fit, but not getting the swimming part done in order to get fit to swim better.. catch 22 bwa ha ha.

so my plan was to swim till i start gasping(swalowing water) then to stop, and then just practice the stroke etc whilst  being stationary. then do this couple times a week, to get better whilst progressively getting more swim fit, and not swollowing more water bleh!

thanks guys, also checked the vids and learning alot.. i feel happy reading the timeframe of getting comfy int he water, yikes its quite a "bomskok" mission in the beginning.

was just wondering if there is a set place to "start" with the whole swimming deal. im swallowing so much water im scared im gonna get a bill at the end of my "so called" training session hahaha, and the pool water buggers up my throat.

so trying to get swim fit, but not getting the swimming part done in order to get fit to swim better.. catch 22 bwa ha ha.

so my plan was to swim till i start gasping(swalowing water) then to stop, and then just practice the stroke etc whilst  being stationary. then do this couple times a week, to get better whilst progressively getting more swim fit, and not swollowing more water bleh!

Just swim really slowly, it will make it easier to get your breathing right.

If you need until you get a bit more swimming fitness then lift your head slightly to breathe. You dont want to do that long term and it will make you legs sink but might help you get your confidence up a bit.

or go swim in centurion lake  :whistling:

1. you will not swallow

2. you will be fast 

Just take it slow as Rocket said. Took me about 3 months to get the technique right. 

out through the nose, in through the mouth. Good mate of mine gave me the advice to do this when you are the shower or even fill a basin with water and move your head around while breathing

Just swim really slowly, it will make it easier to get your breathing right.

If you need until you get a bit more swimming fitness then lift your head slightly to breathe. You dont want to do that long term and it will make you legs sink but might help you get your confidence up a bit.

thanks a stack, im trying to get the right habbits from the start, but will give it a go. was planning on placing the gopro on tripod at the poolside to see where what i am messing up, to correct progressively :)

will take it easy and just keep trying.

tx again, much appreciated and thankful for this thread :)

swimming is also a area of improvement for me.  Only started earlier this year.  the breathing is a mission to get right.  now I have to wait for summer again to start all over.  all the best.

or go swim in centurion lake  :whistling:

1. you will not swallow

2. you will be fast 

Just take it slow as Rocket said. Took me about 3 months to get the technique right. 

out through the nose, in through the mouth. Good mate of mine gave me the advice to do this when you are the shower or even fill a basin with water and move your head around while breathing

bloody good tip on the basin! i can do 2x - 3x laps in the pool breathing okey, but once i get "dood moeg" i start gasping for air, which buggers up the breathing out and timing the breathing in.. soon as air is out it wants to take a breath in.

how bout the bugs and illnesses picked up in the pool? i just gooi vitaminC and good multivitamins.. any other tip?

bloody good tip on the basin! i can do 2x - 3x laps in the pool breathing okey, but once i get "dood moeg" i start gasping for air, which buggers up the breathing out and timing the breathing in.. soon as air is out it wants to take a breath in.

how bout the bugs and illnesses picked up in the pool? i just gooi vitaminC and good multivitamins.. any other tip?

if the pool is in decent shape (all chemicals 100%) you shouldn't have any problems.

your biggest issue is voetskimmel from gym/pool floors.

I had the same issue, as soon as you get tired you forget to count and forget to breath, going slower really helps, speed can come later

Eish brother, you and me in the same boat. I started in Feb this year and nearly drowned/emptied the pool at VA for like the first month. I then continued to struggle through it and eventually did a Total Immersion workshop which was great and helped alot. However I still somehow struggled.

I have now put the other two disciplines on the backburner focussing only on swimming for June by having private lessons with the Total Immersion coach and every week it is getting better.

I guess for us none swimmers it is just about determination and keep going at it........I hope

Number 1 is breathing.  It may also help to get a pair of flippers, but the short ones, will help you concentrate more on your stroke/form/breathing and not to have to worry too much about the kicking.