Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

jut been to Scotland and back with my bike.

Booked premium economy on British Airways which allows for 2x23kg bags per person. 1 week before I phoned them and said that I will be travelling with a bike in a box. When it cam to check in the lady thanked me for pre-clearing the bike early, no extra fees, no real hassle at all.

Bike in a home made correx box has 100% after the flights.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jut been to Scotland and back with my bike.

Booked premium economy on British Airways which allows for 2x23kg bags per person. 1 week before I phoned them and said that I will be travelling with a bike in a box. When it cam to check in the lady thanked me for pre-clearing the bike early, no extra fees, no real hassle at all.

Bike in a home made correx box has 100% after the flights.

Don't leave us hanging like that. Tell us about the trip on here.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/182957-the-official-ride-your-bike-overseas-thread/

Don't leave us hanging like that. Tell us about the trip on here.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/182957-the-official-ride-your-bike-overseas-thread/

It was a 600km Adventure race called Itera, so running paddling navigation as well as some riding so not really just a ride your bike overseas...

But it went a little like this:

https://www.facebook.com/openadventure/videos/288361845367341/

I utilized Emirates for a flight to Munich and took my Bike Box and one suitcase for a Race in Austria in August 2016. I read the same conditions then but advised/checked/ notified them well in advance with a reference number that this would be happening. When I checked in they referred to this number and all was sorted, as long as the weight was not exceeded!!

Side note: If you plan to travel on Emirates, they don't allow Mac Book Air  15" 2015 and newer models onboard. I believe Apple is recalling some models...

Double check Apple site on MacBook

I was stopped in Cape Town, Dubai and Jakarta regarding this.

Luckily I still have and  13" 2013 Mac.

https://www.techradar.com/news/macbook-pro-flight-ban-everything-you-need-to-know

Edited by Mohs

I just flew to and from Ireland on Emirates, prebooked bike no issues at check in either way and bike arrived in same condition that I packed. Bike did not arrive In Ireland due to short turnaround in Dubai but Emirates arranged for a courier and bike was delivered next day and even advised me via the app that bag did not make the flight even before I went to the Oversized luggage collection point.

Similar happened to me also Emirates but code-share with Oman....dashed through airport from arrivals to departure to get connection, boarded and was seated and spied my bike bag coming over across the apron on one of those luggage buggies.....Yes! Made it....but a few minutes later saw it heading back to the airport....they had already closed the cargo loading door!!! Almost jumped out my seat to shout at them through the open door!!! Got my bike delivered to my hotel the next day....phew! :clap:

I am happy to say that that my wife and I flew on Emirates to the Silk Road Race recently and did not experience any issues. We did take the advice on this thread viz box bikes properly, be early etc......

Edited by Dusty

• 4 months later...

Please share this very urgent warning to all South African athletes, especially cyclists. After the trauma I have experienced in the past 24hrs, I hope no one else falls into this trap.

If you intend to travel overseas with your bicycle, or any other sporting equipment of a similar size (surfing, wind surfing, paragliding etc). Please please PLEASE don't book your flights with Emirates!!!!!

You will regret it as much as I am doing now when you pitch up at the airport with your bike bag/box and get slapped with a $500 US (R7500) charge to have your bike on the plane.

Emirates advertises a new baggage policy (effective April 2016), with an impressive 2x 23kg pieces of luggage per traveller when flying from/to Africa. What is hidden in the fine-print however, is that they limit the size of these pieces to nothing bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

You try fitting a bike, kit, clothes and everything else you need to compete overseas with, into 2 suitcase....in fact, just try fitting a bicycle into that space.

Emirates has effectively banned all athletes from travelling overseas on their airline and I am sure there are a lot of people who's travels and plans are going to be horribly ruined in the near future.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE!!!

Yes, I agree, cyclist beware of Emirates, they are the worst airline to fly your bike with, I should add second to Bangkok Airways who simply offload you bike box with all the other luggage and simply throw suitcases and luggage pieces on top of your bike!

Flew to Bahrain early December with bike in hard case. Stayed within the baggage limit and had no issues there or back.  

Will also be flying Emerates to Dubai in early February.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear there seems to be more good than bad when it comes to flying with a bicycle.

Will be flying with mine soon, planning on packing it in a box, maybe strengthening the box with some hardboard and using pool noodles and lots of bubble wrap.

Hoping for the best.

Can you take out some form of insurance with the various airlines?

Not yet booked so not sure who we will be flying with but seems Emirates may be the airline of choice for our needs.

Have just flown with emirates again now,this time took my steel bike though . Everything was ok . But followed the advice of Duane Bosch I think it was and used 6 rolls of gorilla tape (here in uk) to reinforce the box . Damn that tape it difficult to cut with even a knife. Also packed pillows on top and sides of the box before closing it . Plus bubble wrap with cardboard folded over .

Buy the best duct tape ( thickest ) and cover all corners top and bottom and through the middle a fair width were the carry handles are .

It worked out just fine ,repacking will be a nightmare but so worth it .

We bought bike boxes from here https://bikebox.company/ . They are not particularly cheap, but they have paid themselves off in the time that we have had them with zero breakages. Worth a look if you are going to be travelling by plane/truck/bus etc.

Glad to hear there seems to be more good than bad when it comes to flying with a bicycle.

Will be flying with mine soon, planning on packing it in a box, maybe strengthening the box with some hardboard and using pool noodles and lots of bubble wrap.

Hoping for the best.

Not yet booked so not sure who we will be flying with but seems Emirates may be the airline of choice for our needs.

When you check a bike in, you are made to sign the baggage label for the bike, it basically indemnifies them against any damage incurred....same as your other baggage, good luck trying to claim on that...Qatar Air once delivered my bike bag sans one of the plastic wheelies..."sorry for you", I replaced it with an industrial strength trolley wheel...no wahahala! 

Assuming your bike is insured.

I mail my broker and tell her where I'm going and what airline I'm on and what security measures my accommodation has in place before I go.

Technically I don't have to do this but I prefer this than having to Mr please explain to the insurance co after the fact should a claim arise.  

Also.

On my last trip the lady at the SARS desk said the rule had changed and that I didn't need to declare a bike anymore. I got the distinct impression that she had changed the rule right at the point where she spotted me because she felt the hassle of filling out a serial and passport number was not worth the effort.

Shame. The poor thing was so huge I imagine just breathing would take all of her energy for the day and doing her actual job was just a bridge too far.

Edited by Duane_Bosch