Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I have laid a complaint with Emirates airlines themselves . Have very little faith though in any positive result in my favor at all to be honest.

They are already pushing me from pillar to post .

I could see the box had been manhandled by the state of it at the airport hence my pics at collection point .

I was so worried about a small scratch or rub mark that I wrapped the entire frame in 2 layers of bubble wrap in most places and 3 in others. Yet they still managed to throw it about enough to do that kind of damage,and to honest,it didn’t cross my mind that that kinda damage was at all possible. The one mark is actually pretty deep and might even have the bike looked at professionally as it is slightly concerning .

The frame is less than a month old,not this should have any bearing on the damage. Just that it hurts even more . Am so pissed I can’t even look at the bike with that new bike lust.

I feel really f$&ked over by Emirates and am angry beyond words. It’s a hard lesson . But I did think I had enough packaging around the frame and with padded wheels bags as back up . But hey ,if someone else can be saved the same fate then at least there is something positive from this.

I won’t just drop this though .

Edited by Pikey

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Airline will only pay if it was in a hard-shell bag.

Still not guaranteed they would pay ,but hey I will keep pushing . It’s quite disgusting how they have treated my bike/property!

I have laid a complaint with Emirates airlines themselves . Have very little faith though in any positive result in my favor at all to be honest.

They are already pushing me from pillar to post .

I could see the box had been manhandled by the state of it at the airport hence my pics at collection point .

I was so worried about a small scratch or rub mark that I wrapped the entire frame in 2 layers of bubble wrap in most places and 3 in others. Yet they still managed to throw it about enough to do that kind of damage,and to honest,it didn’t cross my mind that that kinda damage was at all possible. The one mark is actually pretty deep and might even have the bike looked at professionally as it is slightly concerning .

The frame is less than a month old,not this should have any bearing on the damage. Just that it hurts even more . Am so pissed I can’t even look at the bike with that new bike lust.

I feel really f$&ked over by Emirates and am angry beyond words. It’s a hard lesson . But I did think I had enough packaging around the frame and with padded wheels bags as back up . But hey ,if someone else can be saved the same fate then at least there is something positive from this.

I won’t just drop this though .

Having personally seen how much trouble you went too to protect your bike I feel for you mate [emoji34]

I'm bloody shocked!

Having personally seen how much trouble you went too to protect your bike I feel for you mate [emoji34]

I'm bloody shocked!

Thanks mate , am gutted ????

Been lucky with my bike travels in a PRO-BIKE carrier but airlines have still managed to yank one of the  spinner wheels off...they are BOLTED on! Luckily I have replaced it with a shopping cart trolley wheel! and moerse bolts...so far so good!

Been lucky with my bike travels in a PRO-BIKE carrier but airlines have still managed to yank one of the  spinner wheels off...they are BOLTED on! Luckily I have replaced it with a shopping cart trolley wheel! and moerse bolts...so far so good!

Amazing ,how would they have treated your bag to achieve that ? Would hate to think .

It’s quite upsetting really that they clearly have absolutely no regard for someone else’s property.

Yoh that looks painful...

Having just used emirates and a boxd up bike like you did.

I can't imagine that the feeling.

All the best with insurance and so on dude. Really hope you come right.

Amazing ,how would they have treated your bag to achieve that ? Would hate to think .

It’s quite upsetting really that they clearly have absolutely no regard for someone else’s property.

Also filed a claim, rejected, because blah, blah, blah...all I can think is that the wheelie thing got caught somewhere and they just yanked it along...anyway, bag is now stronger that ever and survived a lot more flights!!!! They are fairly expensive but well worth it if you travel with bike often.

Yoh that looks painful...

Having just used emirates and a boxd up bike like you did.

I can't imagine that the feeling.

All the best with insurance and so on dude. Really hope you come right.

Thanks dude ????...will keep all informed of progress or lack there of ....

Also filed a claim, rejected, because blah, blah, blah...all I can think is that the wheelie thing got caught somewhere and they just yanked it along...anyway, bag is now stronger that ever and survived a lot more flights!!!! They are fairly expensive but well worth it if you travel with bike often.

Am sure my claim will be rejected as well. Hard lesson to swallow .

• 4 weeks later...

Am so surprised by there response .....sorry we broke your bike,suck it cup cake

“Dear Mr

Thank you for your email message of 25 June 2019, along with the photographs of your damaged bicycle.

I am concerned to learn that you discovered your bicycle in a damaged condition on your arrival in Birmingham, on 20 June 2019. I can understand how unsettling this must have been for you.

However, in accordance with our Conditions of Carriage, we are not liable for damage to or loss of fragile items, which are included in the passenger's checked baggage, whether with or without our knowledge. You may view our Conditions of Carriage on our website www.emirates.com. In particular, Articles 8.3.3 and 8.7.6, which form a part of the ticket contract, do state that the passengers must ensure that the checked baggage/items is sufficiently robust and well secured to withstand the usual and normal rigours of carriage by air without sustaining damage. I further wish to advise that your claim, in respect of the damage to your bicycle, is governed by an International Treaty known as the Montreal Convention 1999, which has been ratified by the countries where you began and ended your journey. Please refer to Article 17 of the Montreal Convention 1999, which states that the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. I note that you packed your bicycle in a box/carton which is not suitable for transportation. Bicycles should be packed in the professional hard shell bicycle box/case which is suitable for travel.

Under the circumstances, regrettably, we are unable to consider your claim for the damaged bicycle. May I suggest you contact your Insurers who may be able to assist you further with your claim.

Thank you for allowing me to respond.

Yours sincerely,

Neesha Rafik

Customer Affairs”

Damn Pikey that really sucks.

So Im guessing you were taking your bike over as part of emigration right?

Did you have insurance on the bike on either side at the time? I know I probably wouldnt have which is a scary thought.

Sorry mate that really is a crappy situation :(

Jis man. I’m sorry to hear/see the way your bike was treated and the result. It really sucks. My wife and I have to claim new bags from the airlines almost every time we travel, and we buy good bags but these guys don’t seem to care and each time the airline replaces it with a decent bag. This must cost them a pretty penny each year.