Educate me please! Road cycling, what are the rules?

Vetplant

Do we as cyclists have to do written and practical tests to ensure we are competant road users?

Do we as cyclists display visible licence disks on our bicycles to allow us to be identified and held accountable?

Do we pay licencing fees for our bicycles to help contribute to the management and upkeep of our roads?

No, we can't say we are equal to cars on the road, why should we have equal rights if we aren't tested to see if we are competant, are nameless and hard to be held accountable for our actions and don't contribute...

My 2c...

Troll - why not focus on getting pedestrian's liscenced.

THE LAW does not require a cyclist to have a liscence.

THE LAW does not give a motorist more rights than a cyclist.

Now - get back in your box

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This all you will ever have to know.

One rule that is missing though, if you have a snotty nose, take care of it. Snot rocket it out. Don't fking ride next to someone and snort that **** back in the whole way.

And don't let it dribble out your nose and pretend it's not there. We can all see it. A gooey off white snail trail 1 mm from your mouth.. Sies man. Snot rocket that thing!

And don't let it dribble out your nose and pretend it's not there. We can all see it. A gooey off white snail trail 1 mm from your mouth.. Sies man. Snot rocket that thing!

I must have a sign on my back. EVERY time I ride in a bunch, the okes with the snottiest noses will ALWAYS gravitate to be next to me. Every time without fail.

Congrads (I think) on your 1000th post btw.

Do we as cyclists have to do written and practical tests to ensure we are competant road users?

Do we as cyclists display visible licence disks on our bicycles to allow us to be identified and held accountable?

Do we pay licencing fees for our bicycles to help contribute to the management and upkeep of our roads?

No, we can't say we are equal to cars on the road, why should we have equal rights if we aren't tested to see if we are competant, are nameless and hard to be held accountable for our actions and don't contribute...

My 2c...

I struggle to agree with that opinion, I think you might find a couple of people on this forum that would also disagree with you.

Instead of throwing opinions around (although fun, I would like to get some consensus), let's look at the actual laws of the road below. (Link available to full set as supplied by AA, but only the relevant sections have been copied.)

In the laws below thee is absolutely no reference listed that a pedal cycle (Bicycle), is inferior to other road users on normal roads. Bicycles are only prohibited from sharing public roads with other road users if: 

1) It is a  highway; or

2) There is designated cycling lane

https://arrivealive.co.za/Cycling-Rules-of-the-Road-and-Road-Safety

(1)        No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2)        Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

(3)        No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4)        No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5)        No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6)        A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handle bars of such pedal cycle.

(7)        Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8)        A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels

Reg 323.

(1)         No person shall operate on a freeway—

(a)        a vehicle drawn by an animal; 

(b)        a pedal cycle; 

(section © and onward truncated)

If you have access to the section of the law where it says that bicycles are not equal to cars I will be very keen to see it.

By the way, as a matter of interest, does one of your car number plates start with WHK...? The driver of said vehicle had remarkably similar views to what you posted as your one and only post on this site....ever. 

Pedal Cycles are a recognised vehicle in terms of AARTO, but are exempt from license fees due to the impact they have on the road surface, and their lack of an engine. 

Nothing to do with lack of a license when the law that governs vehicular behaviour specifically exempts them from having to have one. 

Straw man argument, in other words. 

Troll - why not focus on getting pedestrian's liscenced.

THE LAW does not require a cyclist to have a liscence.

THE LAW does not give a motorist more rights than a cyclist.

Now - get back in your box

Pedestrians are supposed to merely cross the roads, and came along way before roads and cars and bikes so we can leave them be, before roads etc came along they could walk where they wanted fine

my next 2c is that I obviously struck a nerve with all the entitled road bikers...

My 2c...

Now this is the most uninformed and feeble post I've read for a loooong time....troll

Pedestrians are supposed to merely cross the roads, and came along way before roads and cars and bikes so we can leave them be, before roads etc came along they could walk where they wanted fine

my next 2c is that I obviously struck a nerve with all the entitled road bikers...

bikes came along way before cars, bud. 

Not at all - some of us ride MTB's and know the road rules.

Most cyclists are sick of idiots in cars who don't know the law, and believe that road cyclists are entitled.. and yes - that includes you - if you even have a license you should know the rules of the road - and clearly it appears you don't.

I think you have seriously over-estimated your impact on this debate and have seriously under-estimated your abilities in terms of both knowledge of the law and ability to be constructive.

Have a nice day and don't forget to get Mommy to tuck you in for your overdue afternoon nap. 

its pretty easy to trash/complain about something YOU obviously DONT DO ..

if you don't ride on the roads ...

WHY ARE YOU HERE spewing your silly opinion about something you don't do ??? this is a supportive forum where people discuss a shared passion...

if you don't share it go hangout on a 4X4 one or somewhere..

Signed:

PROUD self entitled ROADIE :)

Taken from AA site regarding cycling safety: one specific aspect rings pretty true...

What are the problems facing cyclists in traffic?
  •  
  • Estrangement: Cyclists are often treated as nuisances on the roads, with little regard paid to their status as road users with equal rights.

Pedestrians are supposed to merely cross the road..........really? 

Please come back on Friday.

Wow! How to make friends and influence people with a post count of 0!

Welcome to the hub, with an attitude like that I'm not even going to bother getting to know you, you wont be here long!

Wow! How to make friends and influence people with a post count of 0!

Welcome to the hub, with an attitude like that I'm not even going to bother getting to know you, you wont be here long!

I don't think he opened his inning with the intention to make friends.  As V12 mentioned, he is just here to troll.  Won't be here for too long.

The reallity is however, that is the reasoning of a fairly large portion of SA motorists.  Where this reasoning comes from is beyond me but is the perception.  Truly worrying but that is why so many people die on SA roads, because SA road users have each their own little fantasy road law books.

Archived