Pure Savage

507 afaik was the new spec oil to replace all TDI oil apart from the v10 & v6... in place of 505.01 IIRC. 

So.. yes?

VW PD engines need 505.01 or 506.01 because of additives necessary for the cam's bearings( I think)

So 1.9, 2.5 and V10 need 505.01 or 506.01.

And the rest needs 507(which is in other respects the better oil)

BUT since you changed the cam, maybe the additives(if that's the real reason) isn't required, and then perhaps you could use 507.

But to be safe just make sure it gets serviced with 505.01 or 506.01 until someone with proper knowledge can clarify.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 6 year old Golf 6 GTI. 140000km and no major issues.

The car is only as reliable as the maintenance and care

VW PD engines need 505.01 or 506.01 because of additives necessary for the cam's bearings( I think)

So 1.9, 2.5 and V10 need 505.01 or 506.01.

And the rest needs 507(which is in other respects the better oil)

BUT since you changed the cam, maybe the additives(if that's the real reason) isn't required, and then perhaps you could use 507.

But to be safe just make sure it gets serviced with 505.01 or 506.01 until someone with proper knowledge can clarify.

I use the Liqui-moly 5w30 which is both 507 & 505.01 compliant. At R 750 per 5l, though, it's certainly the most expensive oil I've purchased. 

Jor, been a while since a worked on any vehicle. How much does " A Can of the Best (castrol) cost these days? Do people still use it? I know there are other oils available like Liqui Moly but at that price......

Jor, been a while since a worked on any vehicle. How much does " A Can of the Best (castrol) cost these days? Do people still use it? I know there are other oils available like Liqui Moly but at that price......

Apparantly it's also become quite expensive. Ravenol make oils that also comply to all the specs. They're based in your part of the country as well...

I use the Liqui-moly 5w30 which is both 507 & 505.01 compliant. At R 750 per 5l, though, it's certainly the most expensive oil I've purchased.

When my wife was still driving her diesel Audi, I used to do a 7500km intermediate oil change between the 15000km dealer intervals (even with fancy oils I still think 15000km is too long for a diesel with our local diesels) and I used to buy 5lt of oil, filter element and a sump plug from Audi for around R675 (it was the Audi branded oil)

When my wife was still driving her diesel Audi, I used to do a 7500km intermediate oil change between the 15000km dealer intervals (even with fancy oils I still think 15000km is too long for a diesel with our local diesels) and I used to buy 5lt of oil, filter element and a sump plug from Audi for around R675 (it was the Audi branded oil)

Did the same with my BMWs and now my ranger, I dont believe the service intervals are close enough. 

i always do the inbetween service. 

Top Tec 4200, right?

Luckily you only need 5L. I need 8......

Seriously looking into ordering from Ravenol next time. Their diff and gearbox fluid is a lot cheaper than the unicorn tears from the dealers as well.

Top Tec 4200, right?

Luckily you only need 5L. I need 8......

Seriously looking into ordering from Ravenol next time. Their diff and gearbox fluid is a lot cheaper than the unicorn tears from the dealers as well.

DO IT! (Ben Stiller Starsky voice).

I've had various Land Rovers for years and only used their (Ravenol's) stuff. It is truly excellent.

The autoboxes in the Disco 3 and 4 have benefited hugely according to the experts, Triangle Transmissions, who do my yearly tranny (ahem) checks.

I don't trust Land Rover main dealers to carry out necessary inspections on the transmissions so I outsource that part of the servicing.

• 1 month later...

Always had good service with MACE in Tokai and they don't replace things just for fun.

For a cheaper alternative allan edwards motors in Claremont.

Myles, who serviced your car? Bosch or the dealers?

Has anybody used Allan Edwards Motors in Claremont?

I need to get my car serviced. The place I have been using over the last few years has had some management changes and I have lost confidence in them. Allan Edwards is conveniently close to my office so they might be worth trying.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

This connector in my TDI keeps working loose (2014 Polo). Does anyone know where I can get this "Dog Collar" connector?

https://www.kermatdi.com/i-123-pumpe-duse-intake-hose-manifold-connection-fix-bhw-bhw.html

Thanks

Hey guys,

So the part arrived to secure the intake hose, HOWEVER, the bolts that hold everything together are too short, in the TDI there is an EGR valve between the hose and the manifold.

Sooo, the question. Anyone know where I can get an M6 bolt that is 145 -150mm?

Thanks