Pure Savage

I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when I collected my Caddy DSG from Volkswagen Potchefstroom. R6772.00 for a 60 00km service! Apparently the DSG Gearbox's oil is made from a very rare Himalayan yak's piss, only collected at quarter moon every 100th year on the day before the dalai lama's birthday. It Cost R2900... Just. For. The. Oil...

It's a volkswagen caddy FFS, not a Rolls Royce golden spirit, or whatever!

"Nee meneer, dis maar wat dit kos meneer, meneer sal maar op meneer se tande moet byt want hy gaan droog in, ons het nie vaseline nie. As meneer nou net mooi vir ons kan omdraai en meneer se enkels vasvat. Sê aaahhh..."

Heard that oil gets a 500% markup from the dealers, crazy.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when I collected my Caddy DSG from Volkswagen Potchefstroom. R6772.00 for a 60 00km service! Apparently the DSG Gearbox's oil is made from a very rare Himalayan yak's piss, only collected at quarter moon every 100th year on the day before the dalai lama's birthday. It Cost R2900... Just. For. The. Oil...

"Nee meneer, dis maar wat dit kos meneer, meneer sal maar op meneer se tande moet byt want hy gaan droog in, ons het nie vaseline nie. As meneer nou net mooi vir ons kan omdraai en meneer se enkels vasvat. Sê aaahhh..."

You're lucky it isn't a Honda Jazz - 90000km, R12000.....The front brake pads were R3400

Sheez. I have been maintaining my Audi A4 myself, and the part prices for the most part were not so bad so far, except for a few things.

My clutch needs to be done soon, and the parts alone will be around R25k.

I get my special lubrication and other like anti-freeze from Goldwagen. Mostly Febi-Bilstein.

I also have a Hyundai Getz Diesel here with a blown engine caused by my sister not keeping an eye on the water level (Cylinder head cracked, camshaft fubared, and center cylinder severely scored). Hyundai parts prices are ridiculous. To fix the Getz will cost me more than I will get for the car second-hand after it is fixed. So now I have a body here in perfect condition that is useless. My one colleague have the same problem with his Jeep Cherokkee 2.8 diesel. 

Edited by Moridin

Wow, they seriously burnt you there. I would have thought about R1200-1500 tops and thats pretty excessive on a Caddy!

What? Thats more than my Honda Accord brake pads all round. 

I get mine done from Tonnesson motors, amazing service and trustworthy.

Yup.  And they didn't even replace the front disks.  Which will need to be done at the next service.  I think they quoted R4000 each for the disks

Yup.  And they didn't even replace the front disks.  Which will need to be done at the next service.  I think they quoted R4000 each for the disks

Yikes, I had all brake pads and discs done for my other accord for R5400

Sheez. I have been maintaining my Audi A4 myself, and the part prices for the most part were not so bad so far, except for a few things.

Which A4? I've just had mine done and it cost me a total of R 10,500 all in. Clutch kit was about R 8k or so cos it's the one that comes as a whole system - flywheel included. 

Mine is a 2006 B7 2.0

Yikes, I had all brake pads and discs done for my other accord for R5400

NO FRIKKIN WAY!!! That's robbery!

We have a Daihatsu Gran Max with a blown motor. It is not economically feasible to have the motor refurbished, we cannot find a 2nd hand motor anywhere, and a new one is also out of the question due to the high cost. So now it is just standing in the yard, taking up space.

Even though the engine is based on the Toyota Avanza's 1.5L powerplant, it is not compatible, due to some design changes (motor is slanted in the chassis, so much so that it is almost horizontal) so to buy an Avanza motor and retrofitting it, is also not feasible.

What? Thats more than my Honda Accord brake pads all round. 

I get mine done from Tonnesson motors, amazing service and trustworthy.

I cant believe it.I grew up in Claremont and Tonnesson was there in the 60s.Small little place.

Which A4? I've just had mine done and it cost me a total of R 10,500 all in. Clutch kit was about R 8k or so cos it's the one that comes as a whole system - flywheel included. 

Mine is a 2006 B7 2.0

2003 Avant 1.8T, B6 model. That is what I was quoted a year ago. Then I started phoning around, and some place in Bellville could do it for R17k, but not with Audi parts.

2003 Avant 1.8T, B6 model. That is what I was quoted a year ago. Then I started phoning around, and some place in Bellville could do it for R17k, but not with Audi parts.

May be worth it to go to the guy I use. Ziggy. Ex Bimmer mech operating out of Muizenberg / Lakeside. Bloody good. 

Stargate auto. Dunno why he didn't just go with Stardust. 

And the original audi ones are made by LUK. That's who they get them through. 

May be worth it to go to the guy I use. Ziggy. Ex Bimmer mech operating out of Muizenberg / Lakeside. Bloody good. 

Stargate auto. Dunno why he didn't just go with Stardust. 

And the original audi ones are made by LUK. That's who they get them through. 

Thanks Myles. Will check into it.

I get my special lubrication and other like anti-freeze from Goldwagen. Mostly Febi-Bilstein.

I also have a Hyundai Getz Diesel here with a blown engine caused by my sister not keeping an eye on the water level (Cylinder head cracked, camshaft fubared, and center cylinder severely scored). Hyundai parts prices are ridiculous. To fix the Getz will cost me more than I will get for the car second-hand after it is fixed. So now I have a body here in perfect condition that is useless. My one colleague have the same problem with his Jeep Cherokkee 2.8 diesel.

Hahaha, sorry I shouldn't laugh but those Jeeps are ridiculous, one relatively major issue and they become good for scrap metal. Resale value is also worse than an Alfa. It's weird that because otherwise US made goods are incredibly good quality but their cars are dogs.

I feel your pain. I have the Maxi Manual. After 115000km the aircon just stopped working. Gas is topped up and they can't find anything wrong with the compressor. They want to charge me R1200 just to do diagnostic to maybe find the issue. Edited by l4y3rcake