Pure Savage

Indeed, left is loosening, right is tightening. But if you have a Chinese/Korean knock-off, it is the other way around..

My FAW truck (**** manufacturer btw) has most of its bolts and nuts in reverse to the conventional.

Does anyone know of a probable cause for moisture under the tappet cover other than the usual blown gasket? The truck is heating up profusely, and pushing oil through its manifold breather diaphram. Other than that, it idles perfect without any plume of smoke...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ha, Ha, Yeah I know,.... always an exception out there.

Is it white foamy stuff.? and is your oil cloudy, (ie) frothy.? 

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work on getting the plug out. At least you learnt something, didn't damage anything further in a temper (I know about this).

"You should actually replace the sump plug with every oil change"; Moridin, maybe just the washer?

I also don't replace (or anneal) the copper sump plug washer after every change but now and then I get a reminder that I should have. Got one on a KTM right now; a R5 size oil patch under it.

Good work on getting the plug out. At least you learnt something, didn't damage anything further in a temper (I know about this).

"You should actually replace the sump plug with every oil change"; Moridin, maybe just the washer?

I also don't replace (or anneal) the copper sump plug washer after every change but now and then I get a reminder that I should have. Got one on a KTM right now; a R5 size oil patch under it.

With some manufacturers, like with my Audi, the sump plug has a captive washer. But in general, yes, it will be just the washer if you get it separately.

With some manufacturers, like with my Audi, the sump plug has a captive washer. But in general, yes, it will be just the washer if you get it separately.

Every time I have done an oil change on my Audi, I have bought the oil and filters etc from Audi. (Not much difference in the way of cost between them and a Midas for example and I know that I have the right stuff. A German diesel is expensive to rebuild...) and they supply a replacement sump plug. For R20 I just replace it.

So checked there was a little spot of fluids on the driveway under one of the accords.

Turned out to be the older one, it is a very slow leaking power steering hose. 

So I got on the phone and asked the dealer for this hose, R5 700! Without fitment, I had to ask the guy twice that I was not buying the pump, just the hose. Another R1500 to fit it. 

Phoned my mechanic and put me in touch with Ray's power steering, told me to sit down, because its an expensive part as there are sensors etc on it. With fitment R2200. 

Since its a slow leak, booked it in for the following week when life is not as hectic, so thought should get some power steering fluid to keep the system A ok. Can only get the stuff from the dealership. R350 for a litre of ATF fluid that I use 80ml to top up. Then the workshop guy asks if I want to book my car in, told him about the cheaper fix. He asked me how long it will last. Its got a 3 year guarantee, tells me Honda has a 5 year one. Had to remind him, for the Honda price I could buy 3 of the engineered ones. 

(also, that sounds like the next owners problem, not mine!)

My GWM bakkie has got a fancy sump plug that has a rubber gasket which lines the inner radius of the steel washer. The rubber is ever so slightly thicker than the steel washer so when you nip it up the rubber compresses, but only to a point once the steel part of the washer is tightened between the bolt and the pan. It's brilliant. Always easy to remove, don't have to tighten it like crazy and it never needs replacing.

When I did the first service myself I asked the agents for a new plug washer as that was what I was taught should be replaced with each oil change and the guy at the desk had a confused look on his face.

I thought he was just uninformed about plug washers. Needless to say, once I had removed it I realised why it doesn't need replacing!

My GWM bakkie has got a fancy sump plug that has a rubber gasket which lines the inner radius of the steel washer. The rubber is ever so slightly thicker than the steel washer so when you nip it up the rubber compresses, but only to a point once the steel part of the washer is tightened between the bolt and the pan. It's brilliant. Always easy to remove, don't have to tighten it like crazy and it never needs replacing.

When I did the first service myself I asked the agents for a new plug washer as that was what I was taught should be replaced with each oil change and the guy at the desk had a confused look on his face.

I thought he was just uninformed about plug washers. Needless to say, once I had removed it I realised why it doesn't need replacing!

The ford bantam also has this.

Be careful of this however rubber does not last forever and this is a thermodynamic changing environment. I would replace the rubber ever 2 years odd.

The ford bantam also has this.

Be careful of this however rubber does not last forever and this is a thermodynamic changing environment. I would replace the rubber ever 2 years odd.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

I check it at every service which is about every 2.5 months.

160 000km and still 100%

Its funny how many issue can be avoided with better inspection/awareness. Not from service center but from the owner.

Exactly.

When I took over the servicing of my own vehicle I found multiple issues of mechanic incompetence that just left me shaking my head.

You must understand that the average dealership mechanic gets paid peanuts, and usually don't have the best training. Don't let the markitects fool you with their "Highly trained technical experts' BS.

As a young man I changed jobs to work as a mainframe techie at a local computer firm. One day the boss asked me to go fix a 200MB disk drive (as big as a washing machine then). I told him I have not yet had training on it. He asked me if I can open the thing. I said "Yes, it's easy". He said "Well, then you're trained".

Edited by Moridin

Some of the stealers dealers have got some well trained mechs HOWEVER.... for the most part all the mechs have a quota that they have to reach each day. They need to complete that number or they are in ***. All it takes is a sticky sump plug on your car to cause a mild panic and it takes longer than normal (Scheduled times are already cut very fine) and then the next guy's car gets short changed.

It is becoming a common story that the mech forgot to refill the oil or the coolant or didn't replace the air filer or the oil filter or something along those lines.

Not that it an excuse.... but things at the large dealers or franchises aren't like they used to be.

I do agree with Jimmy though... your idea of a proper job and someone else's are not always the same!

So checked there was a little spot of fluids on the driveway under one of the accords.

Turned out to be the older one, it is a very slow leaking power steering hose. 

So I got on the phone and asked the dealer for this hose, R5 700! Without fitment, I had to ask the guy twice that I was not buying the pump, just the hose. Another R1500 to fit it. 

Phoned my mechanic and put me in touch with Ray's power steering, told me to sit down, because its an expensive part as there are sensors etc on it. With fitment R2200. 

Since its a slow leak, booked it in for the following week when life is not as hectic, so thought should get some power steering fluid to keep the system A ok. Can only get the stuff from the dealership. R350 for a litre of ATF fluid that I use 80ml to top up. Then the workshop guy asks if I want to book my car in, told him about the cheaper fix. He asked me how long it will last. Its got a 3 year guarantee, tells me Honda has a 5 year one. Had to remind him, for the Honda price I could buy 3 of the engineered ones. 

(also, that sounds like the next owners problem, not mine!)

2008-ish Accord?

Some of the stealers dealers have got some well trained mechs HOWEVER.... for the most part all the mechs have a quota that they have to reach each day. They need to complete that number or they are in ***. All it takes is a sticky sump plug on your car to cause a mild panic and it takes longer than normal (Scheduled times are already cut very fine) and then the next guy's car gets short changed.

It is becoming a common story that the mech forgot to refill the oil or the coolant or didn't replace the air filer or the oil filter or something along those lines.

Not that it an excuse.... but things at the large dealers or franchises aren't like they used to be.

I do agree with Jimmy though... your idea of a proper job and someone else's are not always the same!

Right on the money.

I picked up our little i20 from a service a few months ago. On the way home I thought it sounded rather throaty. Sure enough, on arriving at home I "popped the hood" and lo and behold, a 5 second check confirmed my suspicions - no air filter in the housing!!!!

A friend of mine sent his amarok in for a service only to have massive engine failure on the way home. The "mechanic" had filled the engine with new oil without draining the old oil first.

So yes, there may be some good mechanics still floating around in the system somewhere but more and more, as James May would say, our cars are being worked on by complete muppets.

Right on the money.

I picked up our little i20 from a service a few months ago. On the way home I thought it sounded rather throaty. Sure enough, on arriving at home I "popped the hood" and lo and behold, a 5 second check confirmed my suspicions - no air filter in the housing!!!!

A friend of mine sent his amarok in for a service only to have massive engine failure on the way home. The "mechanic" had filled the engine with new oil without draining the old oil first.

So yes, there may be some good mechanics still floating around in the system somewhere but more and more, as James May would say, our cars are being worked on by complete muppets.

WTAF?!

No wonder my mate now does his own stuff. Used to work @ CMH as a mechie. Now runs his own business and is doing very well for himself as a mech / sparkie. 

WTAF?!

No wonder my mate now does his own stuff. Used to work @ CMH as a mechie. Now runs his own business and is doing very well for himself as a mech / sparkie.

Yeah, I think even a half competent mechanic who sets up his own shop will always have a constant queue of cars waiting to come for servicing/ repairs.

The power of word of mouth advertising should never be overlooked. And it is a 2 way street as I think Ford is finding out right now.