Africa Cycle Fair 2016?

awesme

Did they actually organise the event, or were they just the company that got a bad sponsorship deal by backing a not so good event organiser?

As far as i know Standard Bank just put up the money and leave it to and Events Management Company to do the marketing, management, etc.

Correct. Standard Bank is a sponsor of the event - not the organisers. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird!

I'll wait for the 94.7 number collection/expo - looks like there will be more 'cycling related' exhibiters there

Looks like you had the right idea!!!!

I worked there this weekend, and from an insider's point of view, the lack of stands is mainly down to the main organizers who have been dealing with everything pulled out with two weeks to go. Then someone else stepped up and took over at the last minute...hence lack of advertising etc, I think they were trying to make good of a bad situation. So hats off to them. :thumbup:  :clap:

To call it all off would have cost more money and really crippled the event from a sponsor point of view. As we know sponsorships are tight as it is and to call off/postpone an event would cause the sponsor to look seriously at carrying on with it - I hope that SB will continue to support it.

The biggest thing is that the main people who were there, were offered free stands...for a retail store like Solomons to be there cost's a K@K load of money, I spoke to them when it was in the cradle and they had that massive stand, it cost them nearly 500k to be there for the weekend - moving stock, staffing, POS systems to be moved/setup. They certainly didn't make that money back - so why should they invest in a stand again? 

I agree the wholesalers need to step up to the plate and support these expo's - unfortunately they have got the mindset that it costs to be there and they don't see a return on that cost in terms of sales.

Demo bikes - agree need more of them, but again in a market where times are tight, a demo bike fleet can and has crippled businesses. Agree its marketing, but for the cost of 3 demo bikes you could do a whole lot more other marketing - either platform doesn't guarantee sales (flame suit on) but that is the harsh reality of the market right now....

IMHO offer the stands at a affordable rate - say R2500 for a 3 x 3 and up to 10k for a big stand...that way the dealers/stores etc may see value in buying space...the food tents is where I think the event should draw its income from...

The problem with all these Expo's is the stand rentals - the CTC stands are ridiculously priced and for a JHB based co. to exhibit can cost up to R100k...same with 947 etc...those costs can cripple a smaller business...

I understand the event companies need to make money off hosting the event etc but there has to be a compromise somewhere.?

All said and done, small as it was, I enjoyed the Cycle Fair this year...hopefully it can come back strong next year with the correct people driving it. :thumbup:

Based on the comments made on this topic we decided not to drive through from eMalahleni yesterday. I would have been annoyed at wasting petrol and time on a 300km trip for nothing.

I worked there this weekend, and from an insider's point of view, the lack of stands is mainly down to the main organizers who have been dealing with everything pulled out with two weeks to go. Then someone else stepped up and took over at the last minute...hence lack of advertising etc, I think they were trying to make good of a bad situation. So hats off to them. :thumbup:  :clap:

To call it all off would have cost more money and really crippled the event from a sponsor point of view. As we know sponsorships are tight as it is and to call off/postpone an event would cause the sponsor to look seriously at carrying on with it - I hope that SB will continue to support it.

The biggest thing is that the main people who were there, were offered free stands...for a retail store like Solomons to be there cost's a K@K load of money, I spoke to them when it was in the cradle and they had that massive stand, it cost them nearly 500k to be there for the weekend - moving stock, staffing, POS systems to be moved/setup. They certainly didn't make that money back - so why should they invest in a stand again? 

I agree the wholesalers need to step up to the plate and support these expo's - unfortunately they have got the mindset that it costs to be there and they don't see a return on that cost in terms of sales.

Demo bikes - agree need more of them, but again in a market where times are tight, a demo bike fleet can and has crippled businesses. Agree its marketing, but for the cost of 3 demo bikes you could do a whole lot more other marketing - either platform doesn't guarantee sales (flame suit on) but that is the harsh reality of the market right now....

IMHO offer the stands at a affordable rate - say R2500 for a 3 x 3 and up to 10k for a big stand...that way the dealers/stores etc may see value in buying space...the food tents is where I think the event should draw its income from...

The problem with all these Expo's is the stand rentals - the CTC stands are ridiculously priced and for a JHB based co. to exhibit can cost up to R100k...same with 947 etc...those costs can cripple a smaller business...

I understand the event companies need to make money off hosting the event etc but there has to be a compromise somewhere.?

All said and done, small as it was, I enjoyed the Cycle Fair this year...hopefully it can come back strong next year with the correct people driving it. :thumbup:

Artlogic pulled out? Who took over? 

Many of the issues raised over marketing and communications etc were raised over a year ago, by exhibitors which included the wholesalers. 

Yes they need to step upto the plate, but they also need to be assured of the risk by doing so too, the international brands could be seen to be giving the local wholesalers more support in this regard as well. 

Basics first, then look at the creative stuff. Especially at this time of year.

Any sponsor, any vendor coming to the even want exposure...

There was NO exposure, or marketing of this even beforehand.

I asked in June, hmm whats happening, not hearing anything, and it stayed like that till about 2-3 weeks ago, which was maybe one email and comments here,

NOTHING on radio. So not really surprised the big names pulled out, last minute/2 weeks before event, to then kick into gear, when a new organizer is involved, implies ball has already been dropped, people already have other things planned.

G

Many of the issues raised over marketing and communications etc were raised over a year ago, by exhibitors which included the wholesalers. 
Yes they need to step upto the plate, but they also need to be assured of the risk by doing so too, the international brands could be seen to be giving the local wholesalers more support in this regard as well. 

Basics first, then look at the creative stuff. Especially at this time of year.

As far as i know Standard Bank just put up the money and leave it to and Events Management Company to do the marketing, management, etc.

Then according to the general consensus of the quality and awareness of the show the events management company should get a wrap over the knuckles . Clearly none of them are cyclists.

I can't see Std Bank sponsoring next year again.

Events company def needs to be fired, they doing more damage than good.

G

Then according to the general consensus of the quality and awareness of the show the events management company should get a wrap over the knuckles . Clearly none of them are cyclists.

On the 17th , 3 days before the fair, I went on to their website to see who was going to be exhibiting - their website still showed the 2015 list of exhibitors. I sent a tweet asking about a 2016 list - never got a response. After seeing the list here on the hub, I also decided it's not worth my while driving out there.

Considering how many people cycle these days, from weekend warriors to the pros - this is such an opportunity to get feet through the doors, exposure for various brands and sales, and there's money to be spent. I saw some tweets on Sunday about a race - that was about the extent of the social media exposure I saw. 

Basics first, then look at the creative stuff. Especially at this time of year

Tony Harding from ProTouch sports stepped up and took over...That man has done a few good things for cycling over the years...

Agree on the assurance of risk, but I feel so much passion for the sport, industry has been lost, the dude with the biggest credit limit on his card is now someone to aspire to - not the pro cyclists, not the home brew manufacturers, not the touring dude who rides with panniers etc thru the Karoo....so much of that has been lost in recent years.

Everyone wants to ride the top carbon machines that cost more than their car (myself included) but realistically can't justify it, so the common consensus is that the industry is ripping them off....

A truly passionate distributor will be there no matter of the cost, the truly passionate cyclist will be there even if "it is a waste of money"...

A truly passionate distributor will be there no matter of the cost, the truly passionate cyclist will be there even if "it is a waste of money"...

Not a chance. This is not Dalas.  It's easy to do things for passion once the bills are paid or close to paid. Less so when times are tough and you have to make every cent count.

Cyclists are passionate yes, but people want value for their money. Today more than ever. 

Seems there is more to see on this thread than at the actual fair.

Personally, I don't get the date for the cycle fair, so close to 947 where the normal flea-market vibe will be present.

Unfortunately, Good intentions are never remembered, only bad execution.

RIP Africa Cycle Fair.

I agree Iwan, everyone wants value and bills need to be paid, but then it all comes back down to the bottom line...

So the way I see this is a never ending circle, distributors/dealers won't attend because it costs money to be there, public don't want to go because there is nothing to see...

public perception is that its a waste of time, distributors have the same opinion - so call it a spade and bin the whole concept/expo....who suffers? everyone really, there is now no way for the public to see the latest and greatest equipment, the distributors have no way of displaying this and getting feedback from the consumer as to what is wanted in the market and so it goes on...

A lot of negativity here, but that is what I am getting from a few angles - no body in the industry cares so why should the consumer care? Companies complain all the time about poor sales figures and the online ordering from overseas, but they don't want to support the local market and consumer....so then?

So the way I see this is a never ending circle, distributors/dealers won't attend because it costs money to be there, public don't want to go because there is nothing to see...

Costing money is not the problem. Everything costs money. But when paying people want a return. Either directly or indirectly. When there's a vibe with lots of feet, then a distributor will care less about rands and cents as being part of a great event will have its own benefits. Those doing direct sales will see the returns in the evenings when they cash up.

Thing is we're all here and some saw the feedback and decided not to go. So how many stayed away because of this thread and how many did not go because they did not know it was on or the (little) marketing was so late that they already made other plans? I would put good money down that is was the marketing / execution that kept the masses away. 

Can't blame the industry for that.

A lot of negativity here, but that is what I am getting from a few angles - no body in the industry cares so why should the consumer care? Companies complain all the time about poor sales figures and the online ordering from overseas, but they don't want to support the local market and consumer....so then?

Honestly don't think the companies should take flack here. 

Fair enough, I'll drop it now. just my passion getting ahead of me :thumbup:  :oops:

Nothing wrong with that. Everyone here and in the industry would LOVE the fair to be a massive success. For that to happen they will have to make some drastic changes though.

Roll on 2017...

Archived