What's the best aggressive trail tyre for CT areas? 29'r

T-Bob

I'd say Purgatory Front and Ground back. Grid version.

Well priced as well.

I run this, and has yet to have a problem riding through the winelands with it's massive amounts of devil thorns, as well as some rocky tracks every now and then.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good call. Got to give you my ride for a shock check n service any why. So what about the back? Canis? Lynx? Other? 

Canis is good, but a tad soft for longer travel bikes unless you're a light rider thanks to no burly sidewalls being available (only the normal XC casing) 

If there's a FRC casing Canis option, GO FOR IT. Otherwise, Maxxis Aggressor or another Ibex. 

Canis is good, but a tad soft for longer travel bikes unless you're a light rider thanks to no burly sidewalls being available (only the normal XC casing) 

If there's a FRC casing Canis option, GO FOR IT. Otherwise, Maxxis Aggressor or another Ibex. 

I can concur.  My son ran Canis on both wheels and rode for 2 years with that combo doing all his XCO and other races without one issue. The only problem was that the sidewalls were getting porous since we were running it at a low pressure. (1.6 front, 1.8 at the back)

The Aggressor is a awesome tire

Great thread

Are there different widths as well?

I guess it depends on the rim as well

I run standard hoops

Great thread

Are there different widths as well?

I guess it depends on the rim as well

I run standard hoops

"standard" being....

And yeah. Ibex comes in 2.25 & 2.4. 2.25 would be great on anything up to 23mm wide, with the 2.4 being ideal on 23mm plus or so...  

"standard" being....

And yeah. Ibex comes in 2.25 & 2.4. 2.25 would be great on anything up to 23mm wide, with the 2.4 being ideal on 23mm plus or so...  

It was a toss up between the AMC wide lightning, those uber wide Smokin' guns or the Spanks. The spanks are okay width @ 25.5 in a world that's gone 30+ crazy.  

I've always run a 2.3 / 2.4 front depending on manufacturer but haven't stepped away from the WTB combo for about 3 years so hadn't got a clue on what is what in the world of rubber and especially in the 29'r stakes as this isn't a XC rig. 

Only heard good things about the Onza's ever since Droo showed them to me about 2yrs ago. The Spaz' Purg' and GC get a great write up as well and a bargain for the money (never thought I'd say that about any spam product). Found some wild Rocker'r2's on CRC dang, that is 1.1kgs a tyre. Not that I'm too worried about weight usually but is some resistance training! Struggling to find a Minion 29'r locally but it's 3rd or 4th on the list. 

It was a toss up between the AMC wide lightning, those uber wide Smokin' guns or the Spanks. The spanks are okay width @ 25.5 in a world that's gone 30+ crazy.  

I've always run a 2.3 / 2.4 front depending on manufacturer but haven't stepped away from the WTB combo for about 3 years so hadn't got a clue on what is what in the world of rubber and especially in the 29'r stakes as this isn't a XC rig. 

Only heard good things about the Onza's ever since Droo showed them to me about 2yrs ago. The Spaz' Purg' and GC get a great write up as well and a bargain for the money (never thought I'd say that about any spam product). Found some wild Rocker'r2's on CRC dang, that is 1.1kgs a tyre. Not that I'm too worried about weight usually but is some resistance training! Struggling to find a Minion 29'r locally but it's 3rd or 4th on the list. 

You were warned! :devil:

I used to love Spez rubber, but in hindsight, the Control casings are rubbish and they are very prone to sidewall damage.

With my current Michelin Wild Grip'R / Race'R combo, punctures or sidewall damage doesn't factor into my riding. Quite liberating, really.

Canis FRC will be a thing at the end of the month I'm told. But that's also when the Aggressor, Minion SS and Shorty are due, so you'll be spoiled for choice.

"standard" being....

Thanx MM

Standard is the name I give to my Anthem's factory rimme