What's the best aggressive trail tyre for CT areas? 29'r

T-Bob

I find the Magic Mary almost too volumous (is that even a real word?). It feels kinda vague sometimes, almost like you're disconnected with the trail. So went back to the Minion DHF. Happier there. But don't get me wrong, the MM is great rubber. Just want a different feel.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Canis FRC will be a thing at the end of the month I'm told. But that's also when the Aggressor, Minion SS and Shorty are due, so you'll be spoiled for choice.

Arrrghhhhhh... no, don't do that to me. 

Arrrghhhhhh... no, don't do that to me. 

Too late. Although in your case I'm not sure, since I don't know which options will be available in 29 yet.

I find the Magic Mary almost too volumous (is that even a real word?). It feels kinda vague sometimes, almost like you're disconnected with the trail. So went back to the Minion DHF. Happier there. But don't get me wrong, the MM is great rubber. Just want a different feel.

Voluminous

I find the Magic Mary almost too volumous (is that even a real word?). It feels kinda vague sometimes, almost like you're disconnected with the trail. So went back to the Minion DHF. Happier there. But don't get me wrong, the MM is great rubber. Just want a different feel.  

Never tried a DHF but the DHR's are great on the front too. Actually very little difference to a MM in my book.

+1 Although I haven't ridden MMs, but I get what you're saying. For me it feels like there's too much "float" on higher volume tyres. I like a tyre that digs into the terrain, and my fastest times on fast flowing trails were all on 'skinny' 2.0" tyres. 

Never tried a DHF but the DHR's are great on the front too. Actually very little difference to a MM in my book.

Used the DHR 2 on the front of my previously owned 26'er, and really enjoyed it

http://cdn.maxxiscentral.com/tyreimages/tyre-image-MinionDHR2_l.png

+1 Although I haven't ridden MMs, but I get what you're saying. For me it feels like there's too much "float" on higher volume tyres. I like a tyre that digs into the terrain, and my fastest times on fast flowing trails were all on 'skinny' 2.0" tyres. 

I haven't ever noticed the float you speak of - it sounds a bit like a tyre pressure issue. I run mine at about 28 psi. I have noticed drag though - a massive difference in rolling speed with narrower less chunky tyres.

I'm shopping around for some new rubber too at the moment.

I currently have a Michelin Wild Race'R Advanced 2.25" on the back which is reaching the end of its useable life.

I'm considering slapping a Michelin Wild Rock'R2 on the front, but also considering a Minion DHRII, but my volkakgheid won't let me have two different tyre brands on one bike.

So, who is okay with mixing up tyre brands?

I'm shopping around for some new rubber too at the moment.

I currently have a Michelin Wild Race'R Advanced 2.25" on the back which is reaching the end of its useable life.

I'm considering slapping a Michelin Wild Rock'R2 on the front, but also considering a Minion DHRII, but my volkakgheid won't let me have two different tyre brands on one bike.

So, who is okay with mixing up tyre brands?

Me. Onza ibex and schwalbe magic Mary.

Must say that moving the ibex to the back (to replace an HD) and putting my magic back in the front reminded me just how much I love that magic.

And the ibex is a FAR tyre than the HD for the back. Ramped knobs make a huuuuge difference

No High Roller II loving here? Fast rolling, excellent grip. More predictable break-away than the original HR thanks to those Minion-esque side knobs.

Droo: what flava of maxxis are those Shorty's and Minions? EXO, double down or ....?

Not WC

But I'm now running

Ibex 2.4 Front

Minion DHR 2.3 Rear

Previously have run the Spez combo..Purgatory/Ground Control..but didn't like the rear rolling around on tight berms. Maxxis far stiffer

Edited by Robbow

No High Roller II loving here? Fast rolling, excellent grip. More predictable break-away than the original HR thanks to those Minion-esque side knobs.

Droo: what flava of maxxis are those Shorty's and Minions? EXO, double down or ....?

I'll let you know when they get here... most likely EXO though.