What's the best aggressive trail tyre for CT areas? 29'r

T-Bob

Hey brain trust! I need to slot some new rubber on to my Spank Oozy 29'r hoops. 

So what's a great set up for CT and surrounds? 

I've been running the Wolverine / Bronson on my 26'r for a while and haven't had an issue at all. I've heard great things about the Specialized range and also a Wolverine (back) / Onza Ibex front (2.4) as a combo.

What are you running and what has worked well for the WC? It's going on a 140mm fr / 130 rear Transition 29'r. 

Share the knowledge! 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find it in SA: Michelin Wild Rock'R2 Advanced Reinforced with the Magi-X compound.  

Be warned, it's not the lightest tyre out there, but if you want a tyre that you can run to the end of its life without a single puncture or cut, that's what you want on your hoops.

I'd say Purgatory Front and Ground back. Grid version.

Well priced as well.

That combo came standard on my Spaz Camber (except they were control and not grid).

I really like it and along with my dropper seat post, really changed my riding.

I think they are between R600 & R700 a tyre. That's not cheap, but it's not Schwalbe either.

If you can find it in SA: Michelin Wild Rock'R2 Advanced Reinforced with the Magi-X compound.  

Be warned, it's not the lightest tyre out there, but if you want a tyre that you can run to the end of its life without a single puncture or cut, that's what you want on your hoops.

You have a better chance of falling pregnant

Hey brain trust! I need to slot some new rubber on to my Spank Oozy 29'r hoops. 

So what's a great set up for CT and surrounds? 

I've been running the Wolverine / Bronson on my 26'r for a while and haven't had an issue at all. I've heard great things about the Specialized range and also a Wolverine (back) / Onza Ibex front (2.4) as a combo.

What are you running and what has worked well for the WC? It's going on a 140mm fr / 130 rear Transition 29'r. 

Share the knowledge! 

Go to Droo. Get Ibex. Done. 

That combo came standard on my Spaz Camber (except they were control and not grid).

I really like it and along with my dropper seat post, really changed my riding.

I think they are between R600 & R700 a tyre. That's not cheap, but it's not Schwalbe either.

Paid about R550 for mine in 27.5 x 2.3. Not sure if 29er is more expensive.

I have Ibex 2.4 front and rear and they are good just not liking the marble dust we have in KZN with the drought at the moment but anything else it's like glue

Magic Mary is probably the best front tyre I have ever ridden. Mine's in 26 but I bet they are brilliant in bigger sizes too. Doesn't lose air, works well at various pressures and loves being pushed hard into corners where it grips and grips. Not a tyre to pussy foot around with though. Wear also seems very good so far - better than the Minion DHR 2 I had on before.

Magic Mary is probably the best front tyre I have ever ridden. Mine's in 26 but I bet they are brilliant in bigger sizes too. Doesn't lose air, works well at various pressures and loves being pushed hard into corners where it grips and grips. Not a tyre to pussy foot around with though. Wear also seems very good so far - better than the Minion DHR 2 I had on before.

LOVE Magic Marys, but they're just so darn expensive... Need to fix mine for when my Ibex is out of tread. 

All mentioned above are great options.

A combo I like a lot is Onza Canis on the rear and an Onza Ibex on the front. Onza tyres seat easier than it is to find the right hole in bed... I do it with a foot pump (both the tyre and in bed).

Although, I do find that the Canis prefers higher pressures. It tends to cry a bit in the corners if I run lower pressures...

My friends and I have had bad experiences with Continental tyres and I won't be getting another Conti.

Got an Ibex 29 x 2.4 for you if you like. Stickiest thing I've found so far.

Sounds like a good call. Got to give you my ride for a shock check n service any why. So what about the back? Canis? Lynx? Other?