Braking power: Rotor size, front vs. back

boemelaar_bob

Yes

http://i.imgur.com/5EGjdIT.png

Might be, but a single disc on a wheel does not cause it to pull to one side. The purpose of 2 brake discs might be:

• to increase the braking power
  • to introduce redundancy - provided you have separate circuits
  • for bling

If a single disc would cause such an effect, I'm sure we would have noticed SOME evidence on single disc implementations.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be, but a single disc on a wheel does not cause it to pull to one side. The purpose of 2 brake discs might be:

• for bling

If a single disc would cause such an effect, I'm sure we would have noticed SOME evidence on single disc implementations.

I love this graph.

• for bling

http://i.imgur.com/Xzj0GBj.jpg

So why does the right hand fork have a stiffer spring than the left hand fork? Buells are notoriously bad when trail braking into corners, and the feel is different trailling to the left and trailling to the right. And as all motorcycle racers know, feel is extremely important.

That's also why the lightweight GP bikes run two tiny disks, as opposed to one large disk. Sure, overall weight might be higher, but the mass is located closer to the centre of the rotation, improving resistance to rotation and providing much better feel and modulation.

http://i.imgur.com/NYrQnJP.jpg

I have have a 180/160 combination on my bike.

I weigh 94kg.

Should I fit a 203/180 ?

Ps.

I only ride the spruit.

For the Spruit I would take no less than a 203mm Carbon Fiber rotor with 4 pot calipers   :whistling:

post-271-0-37839800-1470383820_thumb.jpg

Even cars have this bias, look at bakkies especially, a lot have disks up front and drum brakes rear, or bigger disks up front...

I weigh 94kg.

Should I fit a 203/180 ?

Ps.

I only ride the spruit.

No!

Unless you are unhappy with the present braking.

So why does the right hand fork have a stiffer spring than the left hand fork? Buells are notoriously bad when trail braking into corners, and the feel is different trailling to the left and trailling to the right. And as all motorcycle racers know, feel is extremely important.

That's also why the lightweight GP bikes run two tiny disks, as opposed to one large disk. Sure, overall weight might be higher, but the mass is located closer to the centre of the rotation, improving resistance to rotation and providing much better feel and modulation.

Just to be clear: Are you saying the Buell pulls to one side when braking?

Just to be clear: Are you saying the Buell pulls to one side when braking?

Entrapment!

No, that's not what I'm saying, if you read what I wrote.

Entrapment!

No, that's not what I'm saying, if you read what I wrote.

Damn! Almost worked. ;)

My only point is that a single disc does not cause a bike to pull to one side.

Damn! Almost worked. ;)

My only point is that a single disc does not cause a bike to pull to one side.

Exactly. On moto3 bikes, it's solely to do with brake fade and avoiding it as much as possible when you're constantly braking from very high speeds. Road bikes don't *need* it as much unless they're doing track days and go over the speed limit all the time, but it looks cool. 

I weigh 94kg.

Should I fit a 203/180 ?

Ps.

I only ride the spruit.

Will they fit with your training wheels?

Will they fit with your training wheels?

What do you mean?

I even took my 94.7 special to the Spruit this evening. ....

Archived