Bike Check: James Reid's Olympic Specialized S-Works Epic

Nick

Yes it would, it would indeed.

Pity about him not racing in Europe like our leading ladies but still getting to go to Rio. Real swak of CSA.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Actually James Reid raced a few World Cups and UCI events internationally. 

Going to the Olympics is determined by the nation's UCI ranking with top nations qualifying for 3, 2 or 1 spots.

With our ranking South Africa qualified to send 2 (possibly 3 originally, but thanks to Rourke) men to Olympics but fell just outside of the ranking to qualify sending any women.

From there, SASCOC and CSA set the criteria to select riders for Olympics. That's a topic in itself. 

post-2147-0-78072500-1471454997_thumb.png

Edited by danger dassie

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly, James raced in La Bresse, Albstadt, Nove Mesto and Lenzerheide.

South African women did not accumulate enough points to qualify for the Olympics.

Mmmmm then the ladies placed better than he did. Even with taking the smaller field into account. No doubt he has talent and I hope he does well at the Olympics.

Regarding the Ladies: based on my understanding their racing program had been based that one of them would in fact qualify through one of them winning the Continental title. And their cause wasn't helped by Mariske Strauss being injured. That said CSA still has a responsibility to ensure that all their athletes aiming for international honours especially Olympic selection needs to know what the qualification process is and to inform them of any changes in that process. And this didn't happen it appears. Mariske, in particular, and Cherie both deserve better than that seeing as they've made the effort to get on a European based team and be racing in European races including the world cups. It just doesn't seem right that one of them couldn't go because of administrative ineptitude.

Actually James Reid raced a few World Cups and UCI events internationally.

Going to the Olympics is determined by the nation's UCI ranking with top nations qualifying for 3, 2 or 1 spots.

With our ranking South Africa qualified to send 2 (possibly 3 originally, but thanks to Rourke) men to Olympics but fell just outside of the ranking to qualify sending any women.

From there, SASCOC and CSA set the criteria to select riders for Olympics. That's a topic in itself.

Re James Reid see my reply to Nick.

Re the qualification process, We could qualify a rider through a high placing in the Continental Championship. CSA and Sascoc for one reason or another decided against using this as a way to qualify a rider. And from what has transpired this doesn't appear to have communicated to the ladies.

Nick please see if you can't get a few picture's of Alan's custom Giant.

Green and gold with SA flag on rear stays.

Yes, we'll have something about Alan's bike very soon.

Dare I say that the Giant looks better...

It's not Friday yet................But I'll dare as well !

Looking at it like that, can one not put a second bottle cage on the underside of the top tube in this frame?

you could if you reeeeaally wanted to, but I don't see why you would unless you're doing marathon racing and don't have a pack. 

Looking at it like that, can one not put a second bottle cage on the underside of the top tube in this frame?

You could, yes. There is an aftermarket jimmy product, but it doesn't look neat. There are other ways to do this, but it will void warranty. Having just ridden the Pyga Stage and Stage Max I would say they are great options.

You could, yes. There is an aftermarket jimmy product, but it doesn't look neat. There are other ways to do this, but it will void warranty. Having just ridden the Pyga Stage and Stage Max I would say they are great options.

That blue one, with the black RS1..... BONER!! ... the 120mm fork might also be good for me. http://www.pygaindustries.com/frame/stage

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it and move on, before I get modded again.